Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
astrovienna
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/04/06

Loc: The NoVa White Zone
Need advice from mount gurus on an RA issue (?) new
      #4563420 - 05/05/11 01:23 PM

Last night I collected data on the unguided behavior of my CPC1100. With PEC on, the mount shows a 10-12 arcsec cyclic drift roughly in sync with the 480 second worm period. You can see a graph here:

http://www.pbase.com/skybox/image/134462963

Because it's in sync with the worm cycle, I'm guessing it's residual PE not fixed by PEC. Any suggestions on reducing this further? Do I just need to redo my PEC? It's about a year old (and I did the CPC bearing replacement last fall). When I last did my PEC, PemPro reported residual error of only 5.3 arcsecs, not 10-12.

I'm actually pretty satisfied with my typical guiding results:

http://www.pbase.com/skybox/image/134462962

but near the equator I do sometimes get RA elongation. I suspect reducing this residual drift would help.

As for the apparent cycle in dec, I suspect that's an illusion created by less than perfect calibration in PHD. For example, if the real angle for dec is, say, 84 degrees, but because of miscalibration PHD concludes it's 76 degrees, PHD is going to attribute some of the RA drift to dec, and graph it that way. I guess this shows the importance of good calibration.

Man, I need a Mount Whisperer!

Kevin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Need advice from mount gurus on an RA issue (?) new [Re: astrovienna]
      #4563875 - 05/05/11 05:33 PM

Quote:

Last night I collected data on the unguided behavior of my CPC1100. With PEC on, the mount shows a 10-12 arcsec cyclic drift roughly in sync with the 480 second worm period. You can see a graph here:

http://www.pbase.com/skybox/image/134462963

Because it's in sync with the worm cycle, I'm guessing it's residual PE not fixed by PEC. Any suggestions on reducing this further? Do I just need to redo my PEC? It's about a year old (and I did the CPC bearing replacement last fall). When I last did my PEC, PemPro reported residual error of only 5.3 arcsecs, not 10-12.

I'm actually pretty satisfied with my typical guiding results:

http://www.pbase.com/skybox/image/134462962

but near the equator I do sometimes get RA elongation. I suspect reducing this residual drift would help.

As for the apparent cycle in dec, I suspect that's an illusion created by less than perfect calibration in PHD. For example, if the real angle for dec is, say, 84 degrees, but because of miscalibration PHD concludes it's 76 degrees, PHD is going to attribute some of the RA drift to dec, and graph it that way. I guess this shows the importance of good calibration.

Man, I need a Mount Whisperer!

Kevin

How are you recording and applying PEC? If you are not using Pempro, do so.

astrovienna
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/04/06

Loc: The NoVa White Zone
Re: Need advice from mount gurus on an RA issue (?) [Re: rmollise]
      #4564261 - 05/05/11 09:28 PM

Hi Rod! Yeah, it was PemPro. (I should have mentioned that the details were under the graphs.)

Kevin

Pages: 1

Extra information
18 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 505

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics