Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Erric
sage

Reged: 10/26/09

CG5 @ 1° N new
      #4562047 - 05/04/11 07:40 PM

I just got a new CG5 mount. Looks nice.
But I can't get the latitude down to 1° for use in Singapore.
After removing that extra latitude bolt, I got it down to 10°.
So, how do I get this all the way down?

Is this possible?

thanks!

BTW, the counter balance weights don't hit the tripod legs, so at least this isn't a problem.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PGW Steve
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/03/06

Loc: Winnipeg, Canada
Re: CG5 @ 1° N new [Re: Erric]
      #4562322 - 05/04/11 10:13 PM

Extend a leg to get the last 9 degrees?

Erric
sage

Re: CG5 @ 1° N new [Re: PGW Steve]
      #4562691 - 05/05/11 02:43 AM

thanks for the post!

Extend the leg? Will that mess up something else?
I need to think of a way to do this accurately.

The best I can get is 8°.
I think it's time to start cutting the controller plastic to get this down further.

It looks like I can squeeze a few more degs in if I remove the controller or cut the plastic.

Here are some photos:

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

#4563146 - 05/05/11 11:02 AM

I think he meant extend the South leg(s) to lower the angel of the Eq head unit. As long as it doesn't affect balance to much that should work. Joe

Erric
sage

Re: CG5 @ 1° N new [Re: jmiele]
      #4563165 - 05/05/11 11:13 AM

Ok, this is simple enough.
But how to I do this accurately? or is this a normal part of star alignment ?
What I mean is, the mount software will have me adjust the lat/long adjustment screws after I "eyeball" polar alignent? So, I can get this well aligned even though it won't look right?

thanks!

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

#4563261 - 05/05/11 11:59 AM

The software has no idea of the physical orientation of the mount or how it gets into that orientation. It only assumes that the mount is roughly polar aligned, and could care less as to how you got it into that position.

Before I go into this next part, I need to say that this is
The first thing to do though is to ensure that the mount is not deflecting. These mounts are not assembled with the most precision in the world, and honestly, you can't trust these scales.

The best thing to do would be to check it first.

If the mount is turely not deflecting to 1 degree, as mentioned, the easiest thing to do is simply extend the rear leg or shorten the front two (assuming you have set the mount up with the azimuth lug between two legs rather than directly over one leg).

The problem though is that the mount will want to tip forward if you remove the OTA and you have a lot of weights low on the counterweight shaft.

Check this CAREFULLY before you let go of the mount. Even if it is stable on solid ground, if you set up on soft ground, you still migth experience a tipover.

For this reason, you may want to check the following things.

First, the little plate that sits under the RA plate with the little tab that you turn to adjust elevation.

This plate has a screw on either side.

In most cases I can recall, the problem was that as the RA housing was lowered, it would eventually hit this plate limiting the downward travel.

The front adjustment screw really is just there to take up the slop so if you lift the mount by the counterweigth shaft, the RA axis won't tilt back. Of course if you remove the plate, this will happen, but it is no big deal at all.

The lug at the bottom of the RA housing will still rest on the rear elevation screw in normal use, but again, there is nothing to prevent the RA from tilting back when you lift the mount by the head. No harm in removeing the plate though.

If you remove the plate and you still have clearance problesm, you need to investigate the reason. maybe there is a metal flashing or something that is preventing the mount from tipping all the way down, but usually, removing the front elevation limit screw will solve your problem.

I would rather run without the plate than extend the rear leg.

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

#4563343 - 05/05/11 12:39 PM

Erric,

Make the macro adjustments with the legs. Then use the normal Alt adjustment to make the micro adjustments.

At that point the reading on the Alt scale mean nothing..

Joe

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

Re: CG5 @ 1° N new [Re: jmiele]
      #4565116 - 05/06/11 11:02 AM

Yeap... adjusting the altitude with the tripod's leg will work without any problem.

Cheers,

Jose

george2455

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Lovells, Michigan USA
Re: CG5 @ 1° N [Re: tjugo]
      #4565150 - 05/06/11 11:20 AM

Not really familiar with the CG5. But if you want a more permanent solution, would it be possible to just shim the mount back to -10 or -12 degrees and then use the adjustment knob to fine tune it up to 1 degree?....good luck....George

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 932

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics