Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Re: GoTo vs Setting Circles new [Re: broca]
      #4551581 - 04/29/11 12:54 PM

Broca,
IF you can find them, (I'm not sure Losmandy still makes them) the DSCs for the G11 are very good. Well made, well thought out, and virtually bullet proof (but NOT water proof). Well worth installing. There IS the ability to resell them if you should move to a GoTo system. (Mine are already spoken for.) Combine them with Argonavis, or Sky Commander & you have a very good push-to & track system.
HTH CS
StarT.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dawziecat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: Rural Nova Scotia
Re: GoTo vs Setting Circles new [Re: broca]
      #4551588 - 04/29/11 12:59 PM

Quote:

I still want to see how the Gemini II turns out. I am hopeful that it will be a winner. But if it is not, there will always be the setting circles

G-11 Gemini II owner (since March) here.
No intent to sound combative here. None at all. Please believe that.

That said, what is there to wait for? The Gemini II software is pretty clear in what it is going to be. The menus are all there, both on the hand controller and with the web interface.

It is clear, easily navigated . . . . intuitive even.

There is a waiting list for hardware delivery. Waiting to order just means even more delay. Order now and update the software as more functionally complete versions are released. (it's a piece of cake to do so . . .I've already done it once!)

Now, I suppose something could go terribly wrong. Losmandy and Goerlich could just give up on development and leave Gemini II as a crippled and half useless system.

Now, is that likely?

donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
Re: GoTo vs Setting Circles new [Re: dawziecat]
      #4557297 - 05/02/11 02:33 PM

is the argonarvis and sky commander dsc as easy to use and setup as the intelliscope locators. ive had two intelliscopes and find them to be very easy to use but through time thay seem to have a tendency the get problematic. thanks, donnie

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: GoTo vs Setting Circles new [Re: ColoHank]
      #4557314 - 05/02/11 02:41 PM

Hank:

You mean the analog kind of setting circles, correct?

Regards,

Jim

ColoHank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: western Colorado
Re: GoTo vs Setting Circles new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4557626 - 05/02/11 05:40 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

Quote:

Hank:

You mean the analog kind of setting circles, correct?

Yes, like these:

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: GoTo vs Setting Circles new [Re: ColoHank]
      #4561802 - 05/04/11 05:37 PM

Is there someone else other than Losmandy today making a decent GEM that is *not* GoTo?

I’ve done it all ways over the years, and currently own a GoTo CG-5, a non-GoTo MI-250 with DSCs, and a Dob with DSCs. I particularly wanted a non-GoTo for imaging because I wanted to image in remote dark locations with no AC for several nights at a time. Having to run a CCD camera and Laptop left little battery power for slewing. I’ve found no problem imaging with a “PushTo” system, but in an observatory I’d use a GoTo.

I gave up manual setting circles after one night when, at about 3:30 AM, I wondered why I was laying on my back looking up at the sky, and then realized that I had fallen over backwards while bending down and squinting at the setting circles for about the 30th time that night! My next thought was: “Gotta get DSCs.”

telescopemullet
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/09

Re: GoTo vs Setting Circles new [Re: George N]
      #4561804 - 05/04/11 05:40 PM

Quote:

Is there someone else other than Losmandy today making a decent GEM that is *not* GoTo?

Optic-Craft.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: GoTo vs Setting Circles new [Re: George N]
      #4561983 - 05/04/11 07:09 PM

Quote:

Takahashi, Vixen, Parallax.

nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
Re: GoTo vs Setting Circles [Re: jrcrilly]
      #4565256 - 05/06/11 12:19 PM

I bought a nexstar 8se 3 months ago . Before that I had a 12.5 inch newt. reflector with Thomas Mathis 12 inch drive and setting circles permanently mounted in an observatory I last used that scope in 1990.
The goto mount is a complete revelation. You know it's accurate when you can goto faint double stars and find them in a 9mm ep f.o.v. Also had to update coordinates from 2000 to present as 2000 coordinates would not put the stars in the 9 mm fov but present coordinates will. FANTASTIC!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2347

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics