Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
Bart
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/28/06

Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville...
ADM Dual Saddle for a CGEM DX new
      #4562938 - 05/05/11 08:55 AM

Does anyone know if the ADM Dual Saddle, which fits the CGEM, will fit the CGEM DX? It looks like it should. But, I'd like to be sure.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: ADM Dual Saddle for a CGEM DX new [Re: Bart]
      #4565164 - 05/06/11 11:28 AM

Bart,

Yes, the heads are identical in most regards so that anything that fits on the CGEM head will fit on the CGEM DX head.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: ADM Dual Saddle for a CGEM DX new [Re: EFT]
      #4565186 - 05/06/11 11:42 AM

Be careful with the ADM dual saddle for the CGEM. If you have one of the newer Celestron SCTs with the CGE dovetail (the orange aluminum ones) you may have an issue where the saddle will not close enough to properly grip the dovetail. I found that it works fine with any dovetail that is classified as Losmandy or D series, but some CGE's will not work. The one on my EdgeHD 1100 would not work with it, I had to buy a new dovetail.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: ADM Dual Saddle for a CGEM DX new [Re: nemo129]
      #4565288 - 05/06/11 12:34 PM

I would assume that Anthony (owner of ADM) being the guy that he is will have already taken the issue of the fit with new Celestron bars into account. If you are still worried about it I'd simply indicate your concern when you place the order with him ... that way you'll be assured that there won't be a problem.

Kirk, Just curious ... why didn't you have the saddle modified instead of buying a new dovetail? I believe that it's just a simple bit of machining involved.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Re: ADM Dual Saddle for a CGEM DX new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4565332 - 05/06/11 01:02 PM

Mark,
In truth, I do not believe the issue is Anthony's. The dual saddle is advertised as:
"DUAL-CGEM-SAD-OR - The perfect replacement saddle for people wishing to mount either Losmandy "D" series dovetails or Vixen "V" series dovetails."

The EdgeHD I own comes with a "CGE" dovetail and no where does Celestron say it is Losmandy "D" compatible. All they say is: "Includes dovetail rail compatible with CGE mount".

I am not the only person who had had the issue, if you read Jerry Lodriguss' review of the C11 HD in "Cats and Casses" he comments on this very issue. You can also Google this issue and find a lot of conversation about the same topic. I found one on Stargazers lounge warning about the same issue...not specifically ADM, but Losmandy clamps or saddles used with CGE dovetails. That said, the dual saddle works for every other "D" style plate I own,just not the CGE style. The CGE plate style does work on my Losmandy G11. To tell you the truth I really like the ADM "D" plate under my C11, it just seems sturdier. Anthony is a good guy, and I am sure he would modify the saddle if I asked, but IMHO, like I said I do not think it is really his fault. The CGE dovetails have been out for a long time, so I am sure he would have heard of this by now. Also, as far as I know the standards for dovetail sizes are a bit "hazy" if you will. My intent here was to make sure folks knew about the issue. I agree if you want to buy a ADM dual saddle for use with a CGE dovetail, it would be a good idea to call Anthony first with some measurements from a caliper! I am not saying anything bad about ADM or Celestron, just that CGE and Losmandy "D" do not mean the same thing to everyone.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: ADM Dual Saddle for a CGEM DX new [Re: nemo129]
      #4565643 - 05/06/11 03:30 PM

Kirk,

I agree, and I'm not suggesting that it's really Anthony's fault either. It's just that as you know he really cares about his products and his customers and will usually work with anyone to ensure that they're happy. I believe it's much easier for the saddle to be modified than the dovetail bar.

I also don't think for folks buying new products that it's much of an issue anymore, I believe that Anthony has changed his saddles slightly to accommodate a even wider variety of dovetails.

Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
Re: ADM Dual Saddle for a CGEM DX new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4565682 - 05/06/11 03:51 PM

The "standards" are, indeed, quite "hazy" (go back and check out my Optec Libra review for another perspective on that)...

Losmandy D is NOT always == Losmandy D (let alone CGE, Casady, etc, etc...).

To ALL their credit, the vendors involved do want to work together to make it right by their customers!

Jeff at Optec worked directly with Anthony at ADM on my particular issue...

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: ADM Dual Saddle for a CGEM DX new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #4565960 - 05/06/11 06:20 PM

I got into the same dovetail issue. It seems that the SCTs currently made offshore have dovetails that are 75mm wide while those made here a few years back were 3" wide. So if you have a saddle that is to close to the minimum tolerance the SCT will slid off.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Re: ADM Dual Saddle for a CGEM DX [Re: mistyridge]
      #4566172 - 05/06/11 08:41 PM

Mine is even smaller than that(orange CGE dovetail). I did several caliper measurements and it runs 72.5mm to 72.64mm. That was with a cheap digital, then I used my ASE analog Starrett caliper and measured 2.855" to 2.860". The smallest closure I got with the ADM dual saddle in the "D" section was 2.878"...hence the problem.

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 871

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics