Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
EastAnglian
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/22/10

Loc: Cambridgeshire Fens UK
Synscan download cable new
      #4564796 - 05/06/11 07:10 AM

Hi all,
I've read that many others have had the problem I have in attempting to update the handset; no connection. The RS232 adaptor cable I used works fine to update my Meade Autostar, but not with the Synscan. Is anybody selling a direct to USB cable yet please? The antiquity of the RS232 connection almost beggars belief.
Cheers
Max

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gregk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/19/06

Loc: San Tan Valley, Az,
Re: Synscan download cable new [Re: EastAnglian]
      #4566037 - 05/06/11 07:11 PM

Try the yahoo EQ-6 site or EQMOD site on Yahoo groups

Edited by Gregk (05/06/11 07:13 PM)

EastAnglian
professor emeritus

Re: Synscan download cable new [Re: Gregk]
      #4566976 - 05/07/11 09:41 AM

Quote:

Try the yahoo EQ-6 site or EQMOD site on Yahoo groups

OK Greg, I'll do that; thanks!
Max

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Synscan download cable new [Re: EastAnglian]
      #4567095 - 05/07/11 10:41 AM

Quote:

Hi all,
I've read that many others have had the problem I have in attempting to update the handset; no connection. The RS232 adaptor cable I used works fine to update my Meade Autostar, but not with the Synscan. Is anybody selling a direct to USB cable yet please? The antiquity of the RS232 connection almost beggars belief.
Cheers
Max

Not really. There are very good reasons for using RS-232 with telescopes.

As for your problem, it's that you are using the wrong cable. A Meade cable will not work with the Synta scope. You _should_ have received a SynScan cable with your mount, but, if not, they are available from dealers--scopestuff.com, for example.

EastAnglian
professor emeritus

Re: Synscan download cable [Re: rmollise]
      #4567477 - 05/07/11 02:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi all,
Cheers
Max

Not really. There are very good reasons for using RS-232 with telescopes.

As for your problem, it's that you are using the wrong cable. A Meade cable will not work with the Synta scope. You _should_ have received a SynScan cable with your mount, but, if not, they are available from dealers--scopestuff.com, for example.

Hi Uncle Rod!
Yes, since posting this I've discovered that the RS232 allows longer cable runs etc, so I bow my head! Anyway, I may not have made it clear, but I AM using the correct Synscan cable; it's the converter cable that appears to be the problem. I did a continuity check last night, and all appears to be fine. So, having read of other people having this problem, always related to the converter cable, I've decided to get a pukka internal socket for my computer and hope that works. I'll post again when I get it installed with the result. It's coming from Hong Kong so won't be here for a couple of weeks.
All the best and clear skies
Max

Pages: 1

Extra information
15 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 558

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics