Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
roccodm
sage

Reged: 01/15/08

asgt5/nextstar controller
      #4570137 - 05/08/11 07:32 PM

i picked up a asgt5 mount in great shape- no manuals -i downloaded the manual- the contoller that came with the mount is a nextstar- i dont no the model since it simply says nextstar on the controller- the asgt5 manual talks about 3 star alignment and guide stars- the controller offers me either auto two star or one star- the wx had been awful forever up here so i have not had a chance to try the setup- ?is there a way i can tell which nextstar controller i have - i see that there are various versions- also is there a way to download to get a three star align- or do i need to get a different controller- this is my first celestron so i am not familiar- had an lxd55 for 11 years and the 497 or 494 controller ran most of there mounts -all help appreciated clear skies rocco

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
Re: asgt5/nextstar controller new [Re: roccodm]
      #4570167 - 05/08/11 07:53 PM

I think the Nexstars are pretty much all alike with the exception that some were not able to be flash upgraded. I believe the one with the ASGT can be. The two star alignment has you use 2 stars on one side of the meridian, then add up to 4 more calibration stars on the opposite side of the meridian. It is extremely accurate. Normally (default) it offers the alignment stars in the west with calibration stars in the east, pressing the Menu (3 key) allows you to switch alignment stars to the east, in which case it offers you west calibration stars. What version of firmware does your HC think it has? (Utilities>Version). You also might want to visit the Celestron website and grab the newest PDF manual for your scope.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: asgt5/nextstar controller new [Re: nemo129]
      #4570338 - 05/08/11 09:21 PM

The asgt5 as you call it, or actually the CG-5GT, does not have a 3 star alignment routine. Go into the 'Utilities' section in the HC and scroll down to 'Version'. There you will find the info on the HC and MC firmware.

Stan

Stan

Edited by RTLR 12 (05/08/11 09:22 PM)

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: asgt5/nextstar controller new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #4570362 - 05/08/11 09:35 PM

Rocco, It won't matter which version hand controller you have and for which scope if the firmware on it is 4.x. Any v4 firmware can be upgraded. You can find the version by running the version command (in the Utilities section). If there is no version command then you have an earlier model hand controller that can't be upgraded.

If it is upgradeable you'll need a PC with a serial port (can also be a USB-serial adapter), the hand controller serial cable, and to download and run HCUpdate.com from the Celestron website. Specific instructions and information about the firmware levels can be found at www.nexstarsite.com

You will need to flash the hand controller with gem4.19. One this is done you'll have the latest firmware level available for the ASGT mount.

If the version of the hand controller is not at least v4 then it is not upgradable.

The manual situation is a bit confused since Celestron has not upgraded the original ASGT manual.

For pre v4 hand controllers the original ASGT manual can be used.
For V4.x-4.13 then the V4 Hand controller addendum can be used (with the original ASGT manual).
For v4.15/6 then the CGEM manual can be used.
For V4.19 then the CGEPro manual can be used.

The revised ASGT manual on www.nexstarsite.com also have the appropriate updates added so you won't have to use both the old ASGT manual (for the hardware) with the CGEPro manual (for the HC functions) to get all the appropriate information in one place.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #4570370 - 05/08/11 09:40 PM

Quote:

The asgt5 as you call it, or actually the CG-5GT, does not have a 3 star alignment routine. Stan

Stan, actually with the V3 firmware the ASGT does have an "Auto 3 star alignment". This was changed in the more popular v4.x firmware.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: asgt5/nextstar controller new [Re: mclewis1]
      #4570582 - 05/08/11 11:34 PM

Rocco has obviously downloaded the manual for a discontinued and outdated version of the CG-5 mount. If his HC does not show a 3 star alignment routine He obviously has a later version HC. Just which one is in question here. It was my point to mention the fact that a later version HC does not use the 3 star routine. I felt at the time that being succinct was better that confusing the issue with too much irrelevant info. Once the version is established the proper manual should be downloaded.

Stan

roccodm
sage

Reged: 01/15/08

#4570684 - 05/09/11 12:56 AM

thanks guys for the response- the controller shows hc version 4.16 and mc 5.16- i will look for a manual with this software and download it - cloudy here again tonite so i will have ample time to read the manual clear skies rocco

Pages: 1

Extra information
29 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 637

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics