Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
IanD

Reged: 07/11/09

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Skywatcher or Losmandy new
      #4589523 - 05/18/11 09:02 PM

I'm considering upgrading my mount but like most people I want to spend as little as possible. Right now I have a skywatcher HEQ5 and it works beautifully with my C8 and TV85. However I'm planning on getting a new 10" SCT so I'm worried this might be a bit taxing. Since I'm pretty happy with skywatcher so far my obvious choice is the HEQ6 but the other choice that jumps out at me is the G11. I like the idea of the more solid dovetail bar but I'd have to fork out several hundred more for the G11 (the out of pocket difference will probably be close to $1000 because I know a skywatcher dealer here that will probably help me 'upgrade' my mount).

Any suggestions?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gdd
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
Re: Skywatcher or Losmandy new [Re: IanD]
      #4589599 - 05/18/11 09:47 PM

For $1000 more than a HEQ6 you are talking about the G-11 without GOTO. You will still be able to track. You will need to use the analog setting circles (which are very accurate on the G-11, but not for cheaper mounts that have them) to find your target. So be sure you are ready to give up GOTO.

Gale

Edited by gdd (05/19/11 12:48 AM)

jmiele
Patron Saint?

Reged: 12/04/10

Re: Skywatcher or Losmandy new [Re: gdd]
      #4589802 - 05/19/11 12:11 AM

The G-11 is a good mount with much upgrade potential. Finding objects without goto is not impossible, but is slower. Are you planning to do any astrophotography? If so, the G-11 will IMO be a "less frustrating" way to go. If not, the Skywatcher will show you more stuff in less time than a G-11 with no goto. Also, as I understand it the goto upgrades have to be added to the HEQ5...is that correct?
Joe

Richard McC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/04

Loc: Australia
Re: Skywatcher or Losmandy new [Re: jmiele]
      #4590482 - 05/19/11 12:02 PM

If the main attraction of the Losmandy is the "more solid dovetail bar" then perhaps you could buy the HEQ6 and one of ADM's saddles to put on it? Then you can use the stronger D series dovetail plates with the Skywatcher mount. In Australia (and I assume elsewhere) Synta also sell a "NEQ6" version of this mount that ships with a saddle which accepts Losmandy dovetail plates instead of the narrower Vixen dovetail plates.

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
Re: Skywatcher or Losmandy [Re: jmiele]
      #4590489 - 05/19/11 12:07 PM

Ian,
I now have a G11 that was an upgrade from a LXD55 & a 10"SNT. It didn't come with Goto or Digital Setting Circles. I added the DSCs & a Sky Commander. It has worked well but, it is a Push to & very accurately track. It takes some time to zero in on DSOs even with the SC4. The Goto on the LXD was nice (when it worked) but the mount itself was, for me, frustrating. The G11 was enough mount to handle the 8"R200SS & the 10"SNT. I am waiting (patiently, very patiently, (I hate to wait)) for G2.
StarT

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 590

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics