Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
AZStarGuy
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/05/08

Loc: Scottsdale AZ
Who's Used DSC's With Their G11? new
      #3773492 - 04/28/10 11:57 AM

Would you do it again over Gemini? How hard were they to install?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCatfin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/12/04

Loc: NJ, USA
Re: Who's Used DSC's With Their G11? new [Re: AZStarGuy]
      #3773793 - 04/28/10 02:47 PM

Hi Ron, I use the Argo Navis DSC and installed the encoders etc. The diagram that is provided makes it real easy to install. Once polar aligned the accuracy is excellent. As for the question would I do it again, I think I would probably go the Gemini route only because it provides the added flexibility that it could be set up for remote usage. Obviously the G11/Argo setup while just as accurate is a push to so you are required to be there to move the scope to the next target. All in all though I have no complaints and love the unit and the support that Wildcard gives its customers.
Hope this helps.

AZStarGuy
Pooh-Bah

Re: Who's Used DSC's With Their G11? new [Re: MikeCatfin]
      #3773820 - 04/28/10 03:01 PM

Yes - absolutely. Nice solution. I did not realize Wildcard made anything for the Losmandy mounts. I associate Argo Navis to Obession. Lol!

I like that the kit includes the gear covers too.

MikeCatfin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/12/04

Loc: NJ, USA
      #3773847 - 04/28/10 03:18 PM

Yes it is a very nice kit but not inexpensive. A definite alternative to Gemini which I understand can be difficult to obtain at times.

k5apl
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Arkansas
      #3773893 - 04/28/10 03:40 PM

I installed Losmandy DSC's and used a SkyCommander computer.
Once polar aligned, they worked wonderfully. I always had too much trouble figuring out and using Gemini, so I went for the DSC's. I'd do it again. (for me its mandatory to have the polar alignment scope option).

Wes

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

Re: Who's Used DSC's With Their G11? new [Re: k5apl]
      #3773923 - 04/28/10 03:52 PM

I use dscs on my G11 and on my AP900QMD which is also push-to. I think there are certain benefits: reliability improves from very good to near-perfect; less need to worry about balance; elimination of servo-burnout issue (steppers don't burn out); no need to adjust the worm gear for the full range of weather conditions from -10F to summer temps; less power consumption, making a smaller battery possible; and you get better fine-control of movement in the field of view, because there is no backlash to contend with. (This last is more of a difference between dscs and the low-end EQ mounts than the high end which includes Losmandy.)

The other nice thing is that the Argo Navis unit can be ported from mount to mount, whereas your Gemini paddle is "married" to the G11 and other Gemini-compatible mounts. But certainly not dobs.

All told, however, the GEM market has moved decisively towards go-to, but I'm very happy with the DSCs in general and Argo Navis in particular.

AN's advantage over sky commander is that it can be used to compensate mathematically for pointing errors. So if your polar alignment is off it will figure things out. So will the Gemini hand paddle, by the way. But dsc-to-dsc, this is an important advantage.

Argo Navis also has the better menu, display, and user friendliness of the various systems.

regqards
Greg N

AZStarGuy
Pooh-Bah

Re: Who's Used DSC's With Their G11? new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #3773960 - 04/28/10 04:11 PM

Those are great points about AN not being married to the mount. If it can compensate for alignment errors - all the better.

I was looking at it from an availability / simplicity & power usage standpoint. That just fuels the fire.

AZStarGuy
Pooh-Bah

#3773962 - 04/28/10 04:12 PM

The user manual is 228 pages. Eek! Lol.

gnowellsct
Postmaster

Reged: 06/24/09

#3774011 - 04/28/10 04:43 PM

Quote:

The user manual is 228 pages. Eek! Lol.

Yes: it's a long manual. There are some "cheat sheet" workarounds in the FILES section on Yahoo! groups (argo_navis).

I would point out however the Argo Navis doesn't require you to use the complex options. You can do a one star alignment once you have it set up for your mount (which then stays in memory). To do a one star alignment you just turn it on, select ALIGN STAR, and point the thing at the star and zap it. You have to know the name of the star.

That's it, you're in business. For people with four inch refractors this is probably all they need.

Where Argo Navis gets complicated is when you want to build a model to correct pointing errors, and this mostly applies to GEMs. If you take the time to learn how to do that the process itself takes about fifteen minutes once you know how to do it. The pointing error model is a bit complicated because AN likes the user to have full control of what the unit is doing. I think the process of selecting variables could be automated. But the cheat sheets will tell you which variables to use (for quick and dirty setup).

The other systems with limited mount modeling capability, like CGE, basically worked because the manufacturer selected which variables to use. Still I must say I'm a little puzzled by it, I keep thinking that the computer itself should be able to select the variables to use and the variables to throw out.

Bottom line: once my AN is set up at night I know longer think about its pointing accuracy. There are no meridian flip worries, no re-synchs, just all-sky pointing accuracy. It's an excellent tool but a bit geeky. If you use it in the simple mode (like one star alignment) the ergonomics beat anything else on the market.

Greg N

AZStarGuy
Pooh-Bah

Re: Who's Used DSC's With Their G11? new [Re: gnowellsct]
      #4586864 - 05/17/11 01:19 PM

Just a little follow up - albeit late

I finally got prioritized enough to order the AN system for my G-11. It shipped yesterday. Now to dig up the install PDF on Losmandy's site and join the AN Yahoo group! AN Manual is downloaded already.

I will try to follow up with a short mini review and some pics when it arrives.

Edited by AZStarGuy (05/17/11 01:23 PM)

Don Allen
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/07/05

Loc: Charleston, SC
      #4587546 - 05/17/11 08:22 PM

Good....look forward to it. BTW how do you like the ABV?

AZStarGuy
Pooh-Bah

Re: Who's Used DSC's With Their G11? new [Re: Don Allen]
      #4588274 - 05/18/11 09:14 AM

I LOVE my ABV. This one is f7.75 so the FL is 790mm. I can sweep the summer Milky Way at low powers with a 31T5 for about a 3.2 degree fov, or crank it up to look at Saturn when the seeing is exceptional like the other night: 5mm TMB Supermono with 2x Powermate ~ 316x and just starting to hit image break down. That's almost 80x per inch, but the seeing was exceptional - not the norm.

I have never seen color on anything in focus including Jupiter & the Moon. The more I look through other scopes, the more I appreciate how good this one is. Lomo Ok4 doublet which SV labels as an APO, and from the in-focus views, I have to completely agree.

Startraffic
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/12/06

Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.1748...
      #4590502 - 05/19/11 12:15 PM

Ron,
My G11 came without Gemini. I added a set of Losmandy DC & a Sky Commander. Installation was easy if you can read, use a screwdriver, allen wrench. Read the installation instructions, then read them as you do the installation. It has worked well once you got on target, well worth doing if you don't want or have used Goto. I had it on my LXD55, when it worked it was okay & have missed Goto on my G11. I've ordered a Gemini2 upgrade & it "should" be in this month. Goto or I should say ACCURATE Goto will be a nice change.
StarT.

Edited by Startraffic (05/19/11 12:39 PM)

AZStarGuy
Pooh-Bah

Re: Who's Used DSC's With Their G11? [Re: Startraffic]
      #4590733 - 05/19/11 01:57 PM

Yes - I think you will love the Gemini2. It looks very nice - esp the hand controller. Post up some info on it when you get it re. the install and initial impressions.

On a side note: my AN arrived today! 4 days to get from AUS to Arizona and clear customs. Wow! I wasn't expecting it until next week.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1111

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics