Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
dgpilot
sage

Reged: 09/25/09

Loc: Dublin, California
Need secure attachment after OT plunged
      #4590802 - 05/19/11 02:38 PM

Last night I set everything up, and started doing test slews before the imaging night. All of a sudden the Optical tube suddenly fell off the mount and plunged 3 feet onto the patio.
YIKES!!!!

Upon inspection, no damage except the finderscope which nearly got torn off, it took the brunt of the fall. Ironically... later in the night I discovered that the fall actually perfectly collimated my optical tube.

The cause? Piece of JUNK cheap manufacturing from Meade. The scope was secure, however the metal on the dove plate sheered off, as if it was made from soft metal. Last year I had already made it clear that I would never buy from Meade again considering the quality issues I had with the LXD75 mount, the optics/collimation and now this.

Now my question is, where I can find a quality dove bar for my Meade SN-8? Does it need to be steel? Any recommendations? I need it to be compatible with the Atlas EQ-G. Thanks in advance!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
clchildress
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/10

Loc: NW Georgia, USA
Re: Need secure attachment after OT plunged new [Re: dgpilot]
      #4590827 - 05/19/11 02:54 PM

I went ahead and purchased a brand new "D" style adapter plate when I got my SN6; it's been fantastic though probably a bit of overkill. I bought mine from Astronomics for around $70, but I'm sure you can find them used on Astromart for cheap. Sorry to hear of your troubles, though.

Edit: I realized after I posted that your mount doesn't use Losmandy-style adapters. Oops. Still might want to check Astronomics, though.

Edited by clchildress (05/19/11 02:59 PM)

michael hester
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/28/08

#4590829 - 05/19/11 02:57 PM

You're probably going to find nothing but aluminum for dovetail bars.

Try http://www.admaccessories.com/ for dovetails. The Atlas i believe is a vixen style head. You might even be able to replace the head mount with a more sturdy clamp too. ADM doesn't list parts for the Atlas though.

DanB
No Capos Allowed

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Central Oregon High Desert
Re: Need secure attachment after OT plunged new [Re: michael hester]
      #4590948 - 05/19/11 04:06 PM

Every mounting accessory I own is ADM - Anthony is quick to ship and support and his stuff is top shelf quality.
Ouch on the telescope, I have nightmares about something like that happening and just changed over from the Vixen style to ADM's puck adapter (Should be here any day now). It will be all ADM Losmandy on my EQ6 from now on and really looking forward to it!
Regards, Dan

dgpilot
sage

Reged: 09/25/09

Loc: Dublin, California
Re: Need secure attachment after OT plunged new [Re: DanB]
      #4591064 - 05/19/11 05:26 PM

Very nice, thanks for the recommendation guys. I sent an email to ADM for recommendations and will wait to hear back

shams42
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/05/09

Loc: Kingsport, TN
      #4591474 - 05/19/11 09:15 PM

The ADM universal bars will bolt right to your rings. The stock Meade dovetail is an unbelievable POS.

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Need secure attachment after OT plunged new [Re: shams42]
      #4592247 - 05/20/11 09:28 AM

Orion also sells Vixen style dovetails. They have two models; one to go on top of your scope to hold a guide scope, the other to attach the scope to the mount. The scope-mount one has additional threaded holes in it to provide cone adjustments to get the scope aligned with the mount's axis.

I bought the top mount one and a set of guide rings for my guide scope when I discovered, after upgrading my mount, that the Atlas bar is longer than the Sirius bar. The $35 (I think) cost was better than the four or more hours it would have taken me to make a new guide scope attachment.

Phil

Pages: 1

Extra information
28 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 550

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics