Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
MtnGoat
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/18/07

Loc: Columbia Gorge, WA
CG5 questions new
      #4588356 - 05/18/11 10:13 AM

Hi folks
just picked up a CG-5. I did some research and found that's its the newer version with the RA housing tapered which means actual RA bearings. It's missing the altitude jackscrews and a couple other small bits but that's OK for the price. It also has the dual axis manual drive.

Now as a Meade guy I've been fairly happy with my LXD75 after tearing it down and tuning it, and Astro Boy's website has a nice article on the same for the CG5. The mount does seem a touch beefier than the LXD75 in general.

So anything I should be aware of with this mount, and can you get GOTO retrofits from Celestron for it? I'm wondering if the dual axis drive motors are the same ones inside the fancy housing the store bought GOTO version uses and if I just need a handset.

Edited by MtnGoat (05/18/11 10:13 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Doug76
Long Achro Junkie

Reged: 12/05/07

Loc: Refractor Heaven
Re: CG5 questions new [Re: MtnGoat]
      #4588366 - 05/18/11 10:19 AM

As far as I know, you can't retrofit the manual CG-5 to Goto from a Celestron source.

tubehead999
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/25/08

Loc: Kennesaw, GA
Re: CG5 questions new [Re: Doug76]
      #4588447 - 05/18/11 11:05 AM

You can drop the LXD-55/75 motors into the CG5, with a small change in the depth of the mounting bolts. I was quite pleased with my adaptation 5 or 6 years ago....at the time, you could buy the motors from Meade, new, for 100 bucks each, shipped, and with the addition of the GOTO controller, you could have GOTO for around 250 bucks...Never used the GOTO much , but I did enjoy the variable tracking speed for high-power planetary and lunar.

MtnGoat
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CG5 questions new [Re: tubehead999]
      #4588550 - 05/18/11 12:06 PM

Well now that is nice to know, because I do have an extra set of motors I picked up for another project. I like the Autostar's features and especially the variety of firm ware, so a FrankenCG5 may be a possibility.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
      #4589630 - 05/18/11 10:03 PM

The CG-5 and the LXD75 both have 144 tooth worm wheels so you don't even have to alter the ratios for the drives as long as you use the same drive gears.

MtnGoat
Carpal Tunnel

Re: CG5 questions new [Re: Geo.]
      #4589746 - 05/18/11 11:15 PM

nice! wow that's handy.

would anyone know off hand the specs for the altitude jackscrews? I checked and both are missing, not just one.

MtnGoat
Carpal Tunnel

#4590486 - 05/19/11 12:05 PM

Well, I was checking things out some more and found a more serious problem. Either someone knocked the mount over or I don't know what all, but the RA worm is bent! I guess I now get to experience the glories of Celestron customer service.

bdjeep
sage

Reged: 01/29/07

Loc: Bolton, MA
Re: CG5 questions [Re: MtnGoat]
      #4590980 - 05/19/11 04:26 PM

Bummer. I believe Celestron is no longer selling parts. You'll have to either send them the mount and pay for them to repair it or source the worm gear elsewhere.

Edited by bdjeep (05/19/11 04:27 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 630

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics