Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/24/06

Loc: Crozet VA 22932
Centaurus A and Omega Centauri
      #4595343 - 05/22/11 12:25 AM

One of my first objectives when observing at the Midsouth Stargaze was to look at these two objects that I cannot see in Virginia. They are on a single observing sheet on the blog (address listed below) in addition to a story.

Neither object is hard to find but they are sure nice to visit over and over. In this case, I was using a Hyperstar on a C8, which permits nice views at f/2.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
Re: Centaurus A and Omega Centauri new [Re: rolandlinda3]
      #4595654 - 05/22/11 07:25 AM

Roland,

Nice sketches. I'm still waiting for the clear moonless transparent skies I need for my annual look at OC and Centaurus A (at culmination, 4° and 9° above my horizon respectively). It may never happen for me this year so thanks for the view.

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Centaurus A and Omega Centauri new [Re: Special Ed]
      #4595674 - 05/22/11 07:44 AM

Roland,

Two southern delights for spring that require a trip southward for a view like you captured in these sketches. Very nice sketching.

Frank

rolandlinda3
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/24/06

Loc: Crozet VA 22932
Re: Centaurus A and Omega Centauri new [Re: frank5817]
      #4597469 - 05/23/11 01:39 AM

Both are really nice, and there are a host of others "down there" that my Aussie acquaintances show me once in a while when they broadcast on NSN. They are very tantalizing but I just cannot get them. Even these two could be gotten but they, like Michael says, sit flat on the horizon for all practical purposes. But for those, you folks ought to try Night Skies Network. You don't have to be broadcasting to watch...and sketch astro video delivered live to your screen to study. Often, you can get someone to hang on an object for enought time to grab it on a sheet of paper.

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 459

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics