Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | >> (show all)
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #5100290 - 03/01/12 10:52 PM

that was a 4 second exposure with the gain set to 1. that's not banding in the background, it's levelor blinds almost 20 feet behind the panasonic logo.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: zerro1]
      #5100325 - 03/01/12 11:25 PM

With this chip, won't be no banding! Not that I have ever seen!

zerro1
Postmaster

#5100397 - 03/02/12 12:56 AM

the shutter issue has me kind of bugged! in RSimage, when the camera with the shutter is connected it throws "PVCAM error 53". I looked that up and it gives a solution of the PCI card firmware update. but it's already at v33. it also suggests "check power and data cable". If I open the back and disconnect the shutter --- no errors are thrown. So, I've removed the shutter, and will try it in the AIT sourced camera. One thing I did see was 6v printed on the shutter housing... I'm assuming that indicates 6 volt.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5100962 - 03/02/12 12:18 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

After sleeping on some issues I'm up against, I realized that I've made some assumptions based on the behavior of other cameras.

So...I have questions!

1. When you turn on your Quantix camera, does the shutter pop open and stay that way until you capture an image, then close during read?

2. can anyone imagine why I would consider a different shutter rather than trying to troubleshoot what I have?

3. looking at the picture, does anyone have some thoughts on where I could locate a similar solenoid? (if that is determined to be the issue)

I'm off to buy some bits and pieces for safely testing voltages

so here is the picture of my OEM shutter

gnabgib
sage

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
      #5101180 - 03/02/12 02:28 PM

Robert;
The Quantix camera uses a 24 volt pulse to open the shutter and then drops to 6 volts for holding it open. This is to keep the shutter coil from heating up. When power is first applied to the camera the shutter will open and close as part of the initializing of the camera. I suggest you try some of the other versions of the pvcam software (available on Photometrics site). In playing with different computers I have noticed some versions work well on some computers while other versions are needed for other computers. Also try using the pvtest or camera ID apps before running the RSI image or other imaging software. These help establish the links to the camera. Also the 24 volt pulse is very short so if your shutter is a little stiff (to strong a spring maybe) and will not fully open then the 6 volts will NOT hold it open. I noticed in your shutter photo there are two springs. You might try removing the coil spring and see what happens.

Kevin

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: gnabgib]
      #5101307 - 03/02/12 03:35 PM

Hi Kevin
Thanks for responding! I did try the 2.6.9.3 and the 2.80 versions. also tried the pvcamtest. that little coil is pretty much just a saftey strap as it never applies any tension in the shutter throw. it has an elongated loop that just slides on that pin.

shouldn't that solenoid have some resistance? I'm testing and getting 0.00 ohms...?

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5101308 - 03/02/12 03:37 PM

Just to keep the Quantix stuff all in this thread, I'll interrupt to mention that mine arrived today, as did the shutter I intend to install. Coincidentally, my main CCD camera sold today so now I'm a little more committed to the project! I'll be out of business until I get this thing working.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5101317 - 03/02/12 03:43 PM

Quote:

After sleeping on some issues I'm up against, I realized that I've made some assumptions based on the behavior of other cameras.

So...I have questions!

1. When you turn on your Quantix camera, does the shutter pop open and stay that way until you capture an image, then close during read?

2. can anyone imagine why I would consider a different shutter rather than trying to troubleshoot what I have?

3. looking at the picture, does anyone have some thoughts on where I could locate a similar solenoid? (if that is determined to be the issue)

So...I have questions!

Yes normal.

Troubleshoot first, optional shutters are out there.

I will post repost later but I have posted in the past a provider that will custom make you a solenoid for 40 bucks. Based on the requirements you provide to the manufacturer.

Do everything Kevin mentioned as part of the troubleshoot. That is all good advice. Of note, the brass device at the bottom of the photo next to the spring looks like a tensioner. Have you tried adjusting that to fix spring tension? Nice shutter BTW.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5101321 - 03/02/12 03:46 PM

Quote:

Hi Kevin
Thanks for responding! I did try the 2.6.9.3 and the 2.80 versions. also tried the pvcamtest. that little coil is pretty much just a saftey strap as it never applies any tension in the shutter throw. it has an elongated loop that just slides on that pin.

shouldn't that solenoid have some resistance? I'm testing and getting 0.00 ohms...?

Guess that answers the tensioner question.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5101325 - 03/02/12 03:49 PM

Quote:

Just to keep the Quantix stuff all in this thread, I'll interrupt to mention that mine arrived today, as did the shutter I intend to install. Coincidentally, my main CCD camera sold today so now I'm a little more committed to the project! I'll be out of business until I get this thing working.

Necessity is the mother of invention!

gnabgib
sage

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
      #5101365 - 03/02/12 04:16 PM

I may be wrong here BUT didnt Photometrics use Uniblitz shutters as original equipment in these cameras?

Kevin

zerro1
Postmaster

#5101438 - 03/02/12 05:05 PM

Quote:

I may be wrong here BUT didnt Photometrics use Uniblitz shutters as original equipment in these cameras?

Kevin

I've found no way to identify the maker of this shutter and see nothing on Uniblitz shutters that indicates a logo. It's 10 year old technology, how to determine who made it(the shutter)?

Any thoughts on the specs of a solenoid I should hunt for? like what the resitance should be to make the camera happy I've seen quite a few out there but most I've run accross are only rated for 1 minute duration...

EDIT: 0.7mm throw on the solenoid from full closed shutter to full open shutter...

Edited by zerro1 (03/02/12 05:32 PM)

zerro1
Postmaster

#5101532 - 03/02/12 06:03 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

bottom view

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

#5101662 - 03/02/12 07:16 PM

Oops. I apparently have a problem. With the PCI card installed, the computer passes POST and starts to load Windows, but it stalls after a minute or two and Windows doesn't start.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5101673 - 03/02/12 07:19 PM

Can you load in Safe mode?

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

#5101704 - 03/02/12 07:29 PM

Quote:

Can you load in Safe mode?

Thanks; I didn't think to try that. I'll dig it out again.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5101731 - 03/02/12 07:49 PM

Quote:

Kevin

They did. Thats not one of the scissor type uniblitz. That looks like it was installed as a mod or may have been an option.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5101764 - 03/02/12 08:15 PM

Quote:

bottom view

Solenoid provider

Here ya go. Mic the size, select size to match types shown on page as close as possible, select the type and size.

(you go to another page)in the order options - for duty cycle select continuous 6 volt DC.

Dont worry about the 24 volt open voltage. It lasts micro seconds. Its the 6 volt hold voltage you are concerned with.

I tried one of these and the 6 volt works fine.

http://www.electromechanicsonline.com/default.asp?cat=Tubular+Solenoids%2C+DC%2C+Pull

I take it the solenoid dose not function when you test it?

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5101769 - 03/02/12 08:17 PM

Its going to be a clear sky - off to image, check ya later.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5101771 - 03/02/12 08:19 PM

BTW ask about the mount in the comments section when yiu order, you may have to use the same mount so mic carefully.

Pages: << 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38135

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics