Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | >> (show all)
sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #5101822 - 03/02/12 09:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

After sleeping on some issues I'm up against, I realized that I've made some assumptions based on the behavior of other cameras.

So...I have questions!

1. When you turn on your Quantix camera, does the shutter pop open and stay that way until you capture an image, then close during read?

2. can anyone imagine why I would consider a different shutter rather than trying to troubleshoot what I have?

3. looking at the picture, does anyone have some thoughts on where I could locate a similar solenoid? (if that is determined to be the issue)

I'm off to buy some bits and pieces for safely testing voltages

so here is the picture of my OEM shutter

After sleeping on some issues I'm up against, I realized that I've made some assumptions based on the behavior of other cameras.

So...I have questions!

1. When you turn on your Quantix camera, does the shutter pop open and stay that way until you capture an image, then close during read?

Yes normal.

2. can anyone imagine why I would consider a different shutter rather than trying to troubleshoot what I have?

Troubleshoot first, optional shutters are out there.

3. looking at the picture, does anyone have some thoughts on where I could locate a similar solenoid? (if that is determined to be the issue)

I will post repost later but I have posted in the past a provider that will custom make you a solenoid for 40 bucks. Based on the requirements you provide to the manufacturer.

I'm off to buy some bits and pieces for safely testing voltages

so here is the picture of my OEM shutter

Do everything Kevin mentioned as part of the troubleshoot. That is all good advice. Of note, the brass device at the bottom of the photo next to the spring looks like a tensioner. Have you tried adjusting that to fix spring tension? Nice shutter BTW.

I am set up and just checked my shutter. I have to change my answer to number 1. of your questions, My shutter is normally closed. It opens and closes once when I turn on the power. Stays in the closed postion after self check.

Opens during aqusition and closes before read.

Sorry about that. Thats what happens when you old. Senior moment.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5101831 - 03/02/12 09:08 PM

The caveat to this is I use the German shutter like John bought.

zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
      #5101836 - 03/02/12 09:12 PM

Quote:

Its going to be a clear sky - off to image, check ya later.

you disgust me there is still snow on the ground and it's raining... it's a total mud hole here. I'd swear even the cement is gushy.

my concern about the solenoid is that it reads 0.00 resistance... I don't think that is proper.

add to that the fact that plugging in the solenoid causes the camera to throw error 53(wich I'm quoting from rsimage because it's easier to recall that the error code thrown in pvcamtest) can not open camera.

unplug the solenoid and the camera is fine in either rsimage or pvcamtest.

thanks for the link! and info! I got the micrometer sitting right here.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: zerro1]
      #5101959 - 03/02/12 11:20 PM

Good luck, I never checked the resistance. Wish I could help there. Dont feel too bad, got a lotta moon out tonight and it is throwing me a harsh gradient. Dont know if it will work out. Will keep gathering data and see later. Been waiting 2 months to get this green data on the Horse Head. I am willing to see what happens. Don't really hold out much hope. The gradient is nasty! I hope things work out with the solenoid.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5101987 - 03/02/12 11:38 PM

good luck with it Joe. I was only kidding I'm glad you got the chance to atleast try!

the site you pointed me to has one that looks like it might be about right. they even show resistance on the coil to be +/- 10%, I'm pretty sure its at least part of the solution/problem. a friend has a bunch of resistors, we might try throwing one on there just to see if I can drop the error...

zerro1
Postmaster

#5102455 - 03/03/12 10:38 AM

Joe: I sent "Magnetic Sensor Systems" an email last evening about the solenoid. They responded last night about 10:30pm (wow!)with info to who they suggested was the original manufacturer of the Solenoid and CC'd the message to "electromechanisms.com". I went to their web site. Looking at their stock...looks like he might be right! Wouldn't that be cool! I didn't expect even a response, until monday!

if it pans out, might be a good resource...

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5102656 - 03/03/12 12:26 PM

Cool, thank you. Bookmarked. Man that is awesome service when they refer you to a competetor, especially late at night! WOW.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5103022 - 03/03/12 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Can you load in Safe mode?

Thanks; I didn't think to try that. I'll dig it out again.

jrcrilly; did you get windows up with the card in? what WIN OS is it? I put the card in a Desktop with XP media center edition. it's a AMD 64 X 2 machine but it's running a 32 bit version of XP.

I did get my Dell Docking bay yesterday. the box looked scarry but it is a brand new unit for the 9.95. still must get the Dell laptop. I'll focus on that after I sort out the shutter.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5103141 - 03/03/12 05:11 PM

Quote:

jrcrilly; did you get windows up with the card in?

It's 32 bit Vista. It came up and installed in Safe Mode but locked up again in normal mode. I checked the IRQ and found no conflicts there but something in that PC is conflicting with it somehow. No big deal; I won't be using it on that PC anyway. I'll get out to the observatory and try it on that PC first chance I get.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5103180 - 03/03/12 05:36 PM

I stick with XP as much as possible. the loopy stuff I find with Vista and Win7 (like it go's into standy instead of hibernate) or will not hibernate or stanby because of the video driver.....tends to keep me from trusting them with my sky time

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5103184 - 03/03/12 05:40 PM

Quote:

I stick with XP as much as possible. the loopy stuff I find with Vista and Win7 (like it go's into standy instead of hibernate) or will not hibernate or stanby because of the video driver.....tends to keep me from trusting them with my sky time

Yes. That's why the observatory machine is still on XP. It just works with everything I hook up to it.

AITech
Vendor

Reged: 07/01/11

#5103540 - 03/03/12 09:20 PM

Put up Sullij1 pic on eBay and already got a complaint Fixed eBay ad to compensate.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: AITech]
      #5103570 - 03/03/12 09:50 PM

TOOOOOOO FUNNY! They are just jealous!

zerro1
Postmaster

#5103582 - 03/03/12 09:55 PM

a complaint? someone complained about the picture?

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5103669 - 03/03/12 10:39 PM

Perhaps a fan concerned for my artistic integrity Thank you fan, where ever you are.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5103715 - 03/03/12 11:01 PM

Thanks, AIT. As the colloquialism goes; When it stops being fun - stop doing it. Looks like the fun is just beginning.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5103953 - 03/04/12 02:33 AM

Quote:

Perhaps a fan concerned for my artistic integrity Thank you fan, where ever you are.

BTW, Just kidding.

AITech
Vendor

Reged: 07/01/11

#5107034 - 03/05/12 05:59 PM

So now the 8 people that asked me questions about the cameras this weekend via eBay that I referred here... it is not you. Was someone local

zerro1
Postmaster

#5107124 - 03/05/12 07:02 PM

So I was able to get an identity of the shutter that I have. It was made by Melles Griot www.cvimellesgriot.com. Two separate entities; Uniblitz and the company that made the solenoid confirmed this info. Jose at ElectroMechanisms.com is going to get back to me tomorrow about the solenoid for mine. I still may contact Melles Griot and see what they have and prices.

gnabgib
sage

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
      #5107353 - 03/05/12 09:17 PM

Robert;
I contacted Jose at Electromechanisms for a couple of solenoids and the prices are reasonable BUT they have a $150 minimum order! OUCH!!!! I am interested to see what you find out.

Kevin

Pages: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38120

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics