Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | (show all)
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: gnabgib]
      #5107407 - 03/05/12 10:01 PM

Quote:

Robert;
I contacted Jose at Electromechanisms for a couple of solenoids and the prices are reasonable BUT they have a $150 minimum order! OUCH!!!! I am interested to see what you find out.

Kevin

He didn't say anything about a minimum order , but I suspect I'll hear about it tomorrow. What did you want? if were to come down to it, (and couldn't come up with it anywhere else) I might have to see what else they have that might be interesting to buy or pay the surcharge. For me to change horses now... I've already got a shutter that fits the camera, it seems to be in good shape aside from the solenoid. It would be taking a step backwards to go a different shutter.

Even $150 is cheaper than the $485 at "griot", and $540 at Uniblitz, for a new shutter. Course maybe "griot" would sell me a replacement Solenoid, mmm? I'll try sending griot an email and see what they have to say as well.

thanks for the heads up on the min order.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: zerro1]
      #5108311 - 03/06/12 12:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Robert;
I contacted Jose at Electromechanisms for a couple of solenoids and the prices are reasonable BUT they have a $150 minimum order! OUCH!!!! I am interested to see what you find out.

Kevin

He didn't say anything about a minimum order , but I suspect I'll hear about it tomorrow. What did you want? if were to come down to it, (and couldn't come up with it anywhere else) I might have to see what else they have that might be interesting to buy or pay the surcharge. For me to change horses now... I've already got a shutter that fits the camera, it seems to be in good shape aside from the solenoid. It would be taking a step backwards to go a different shutter.

Even $150 is cheaper than the $485 at "griot", and $540 at Uniblitz, for a new shutter. Course maybe "griot" would sell me a replacement Solenoid, mmm? I'll try sending griot an email and see what they have to say as well.

That minimum order thing must be new. I didn't get that jive when I got my solenoid from them.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #5110883 - 03/07/12 11:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Robert;

Kevin

That minimum order thing must be new. I didn't get that jive when I got my solenoid from them.

If there is a new requirement contact me, I need another one for a second cam project. I will pop for the solenoid and shipping. PM me.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5110980 - 03/08/12 01:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Robert;

Kevin

If there is a new requirement contact me, I need another one for a second cam project. I will pop for the solenoid and shipping. PM me.

This is a bit complicated. The solenoid that fits my shutter will arrive without the plunger and I will have to use the one from my solenoid(or make one)and they come without the little white plug. Jose just responded this evening, with an explanation that he would reduce the minimum order to $100 since they made this solenoid. But it's going to take them two weeks to build them for me. $27 and change per unit. I responded to his message and thanked him. I also told him I would order 4 of them to meet the requirement. So, if you want to get in on the order and have a part/stock number for the specific one you want
http://www.electromechanisms.com/

let me know and I will include it in my order. if you do, please hurry with the info because I hope to get the order confirmed tomorrow

gnabgib
sage

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
      #5111612 - 03/08/12 12:19 PM

After a little research on coil design I decided to rewind my coil from a 24 volt version to a 6 volt version. I have ordered the magnet wire from an Ebay vendor for $7 and am looking forward to having a little fun!!

Kevin

zerro1
Postmaster

#5111877 - 03/08/12 03:18 PM

Ok, I confirmed and paid for my order of the solenoids. I will have at least a couple extra and I'm going to explore making the plunger for one just to see in I can solve that.
So just to recap: This is for the Melles Griot 35mm shutter. 6v solenoid. I "think" it should register 8.5 ohms of resistance. That is what the correct shutter in the current Melles Griot version is. what I encountered was the camera threw an error when there was no resitance on the shutter circuit when shutter circuit was closed/plugged in.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5112517 - 03/08/12 09:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Robert;

Kevin

This is a bit complicated. The solenoid that fits my shutter will arrive without the plunger and I will have to use the one from my solenoid(or make one)and they come without the little white plug. Jose just responded this evening, with an explanation that he would reduce the minimum order to $100 since they made this solenoid. But it's going to take them two weeks to build them for me. $27 and change per unit. I responded to his message and thanked him. I also told him I would order 4 of them to meet the requirement. So, if you want to get in on the order and have a part/stock number for the specific one you want
http://www.electromechanisms.com/

let me know and I will include it in my order. if you do, please hurry with the info because I hope to get the order confirmed tomorrow

Sorry, late to the party. I will look at my current solenoid. If you have the dimensions to yours solenoid post them or PM them to me. If the dimensions match mine and you have an extra, I will take one off your hands. I am off to get measurements in a few.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5112520 - 03/08/12 09:57 PM

Quote:

After a little research on coil design I decided to rewind my coil from a 24 volt version to a 6 volt version. I have ordered the magnet wire from an Ebay vendor for $7 and am looking forward to having a little fun!!

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Out of curiosity what is the trick? More or less windings? I know I could Google it but it sounds like you have already been down this road. BTW, welcome back. Youre a big help..

zerro1
Postmaster

#5112592 - 03/08/12 10:58 PM

Joe:
the solenoids I'll be getting are pull type. it's a c type frame with 4 small threaded mounting holes on the bottom to secure with small screws through the shutter from the underside. (mine only uses 3 of the mounting holes)
end to end its 25mm and just over 12mm wide and 12mm tall. the shaft/plunger is 3/16 of an inch thick with a 1.5mm hole to link to the shutter cam.

remember because mine are essentially special order I've got two weeks expected till they are completed. the stuff they have listed online "I'm assuming" maybe they have in stock and don't need to build it? so if you look at their catalog and see one that fits the bill better than what I am getting(very likely), let me know "soon" and I'll call and add it to my order.

gnabgib
sage

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
      #5112635 - 03/08/12 11:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Out of curiosity what is the trick? More or less windings? I know I could Google it but it sounds like you have already been down this road. BTW, welcome back. Youre a big help..

The "trick" is current. If you look at a 24 volt coil the resistance is around 90 ohms. That translates to about 250 milliamps current. The wire size was .005 dia or 36 awg which is 415 ohms per 1000 feet. At 90 ohms I had about 100 feet on the 24 volt coil. I further noticed that most of the 6 volt solenoids in the size I needed where 4 to 5 watts or about 750 millamps of current. At 6 volts this translates to about an 8 to 10 ohm coil. Soooooo what size wire? I calculated I could wrap about 60 - 70 feet of .010 wire (30 awg) on the solenoid spool and since this has a resistance of 100 ohms per 1000 feet this would give me 8 ohms resistance. I have ordered the 30 awg and it should be here near the end of next week. I will keep everyone informed as to what happens. A word of warning since no one can get smoke out of a computer faster than I can this should be interesting!!

Kevin

zerro1
Postmaster

#5112666 - 03/09/12 12:07 AM

Quote:

A word of warning since no one can get smoke out of a computer faster than I can this should be interesting!!

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5112703 - 03/09/12 12:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A word of warning since no one can get smoke out of a computer faster than I can this should be interesting!!

OK! Truly good to see U back. If I have to go this route I will refer back.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5112706 - 03/09/12 01:01 AM

Quote:

Joe:
the solenoids I'll be getting are pull type. it's a c type frame with 4 small threaded mounting holes on the bottom to secure with small screws through the shutter from the underside. (mine only uses 3 of the mounting holes)
end to end its 25mm and just over 12mm wide and 12mm tall. the shaft/plunger is 3/16 of an inch thick with a 1.5mm hole to link to the shutter cam.

remember because mine are essentially special order I've got two weeks expected till they are completed. the stuff they have listed online "I'm assuming" maybe they have in stock and don't need to build it? so if you look at their catalog and see one that fits the bill better than what I am getting(very likely), let me know "soon" and I'll call and add it to my order.

Thanks, I will get back to U soon.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5116059 - 03/10/12 11:39 PM

Quote:

Joe:

Hi Robert sorry for the delay. My solenoid measures the same as yours. If it's not too late, please add another to your order.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5116198 - 03/11/12 01:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Joe:

Hi Robert sorry for the delay. My solenoid measures the same as yours. If it's not too late, please add another to your order.

I'm already getting 4 and don't have need of that many so consider it already taken care of

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5116866 - 03/11/12 02:00 PM

Thank You. let me know when they are in. We can figure the shipping out then.

macona

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
      #5118763 - 03/12/12 03:41 PM

Hey guys, been out of the loop for a while. Other projects have put this on the back burner.

I am putting together a battery system to power all this stuff in the field. I hooked up the camera to the thinkpad and made up a cable so I could put a clamp meter on it to measure the current. With the computer/dock and the camera taking photos it only pulls about 1.1 amps peak at 120v. Not too bad.

The battery pack I am putting together will use 16 50AH LiFePO4 batteries I bought from a friend. This will give me 12v at 200AH and weigh about 60lbs The pack can sustain 600A out and do about 1000A for 60 seconds. They will charge pretty fast too at about 200A input off my car (if my alternator could put that much out) Of course this is all speculation, I would have to use massive wire coming from the BMS boards.

I am using the 50AH batteries on this page:

http://www.hipowergroup.com/products/LiFePO4%20batteries/

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: macona]
      #5119477 - 03/13/12 12:37 AM

Welcome back. Saw the YouTube vid on the shutter. Looks good. Gets the job done. I am planning on using the solenoid Robert is getting to power the Ilex for another cam. We will see how that works out.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
      #5127794 - 03/17/12 10:59 PM

Got a little distracted by other things, but finally had time to try the Quantix in a different PC. No conflicts in this one - card and software all installed fine with no errors.

On the other hand, RS Image comes up but doesn't see the camera. The fan in the camera does run but there's no other sign of life.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5127885 - 03/17/12 11:58 PM

This has been a common 1st use issue. Try the PMFUtil program unter the Photometric/PVcam32 menu. This utility usually finds the cam and gets things going. Close the PMFUtil and restart RS Image. You should have no more problems after that.

Hope that helps.

Pages: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38073

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics