Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | (show all)
Cannabi

Reged: 04/05/13

Re: Quantix Camera Help Thread. new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5786386 - 04/08/13 04:50 PM

Yeah - Apogee is being helpful - but they do not have any old cards lying around. The KX series is too old for them.

I do not know what the name of the cable is (forgive my ignorance) - its a 37 pin male-female cable. Mates up to the KX camera and the PCI card.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zerro1
Postmaster

Reged: 08/02/09

Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25...
Re: Quantix Camera Help Thread. new [Re: Cannabi]
      #5837211 - 05/02/13 08:51 PM

Just a tidbit. I'm talking with a camera manufacturer trying to get some info on building a camera around one of these sensors. They indicated that they built one but the sensor was far too exepnsive so they cancelled the product.
A class 2 sensor was $3600 and a class 1 was $10,000!

I'll add info when I get a better idea if this is something that I will move forward with or not... Wouldn't a USB camera be sweet?

orlyandico
Postmaster

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Quantix Camera Help Thread. new [Re: zerro1]
      #5837450 - 05/02/13 11:25 PM

I think someone else on this thread took the sensor out of a Quantix and re-housed it in an Apogee body.

Since the Apogee 6303 camera is about $8K I imagine you could get the Apogee camera for maybe $5K if you turn in your Quantix 6303.

robot9

Reged: 07/12/13

#5967983 - 07/12/13 07:08 PM

Just purchased one of these cameras..Does anyone know the focal length of the lens shipped with the camera?

Also, and I apologize for not reading the entire thread, but is there a "quick" way of modifying the nosepiece to accept a standard F-mount lens (and eventually a shutter...)?

I appreciate your responses.

robot9

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Quantix Camera Help Thread. new [Re: robot9]
      #5968331 - 07/12/13 11:50 PM Attachment (30 downloads)

Quote:

Just purchased one of these cameras..Does anyone know the focal length of the lens shipped with the camera?

Also, and I apologize for not reading the entire thread, but is there a "quick" way of modifying the nosepiece to accept a standard F-mount lens (and eventually a shutter...)?

I appreciate your responses.

robot9

Don't know what lens you got with the camera, so impossible to determine. My camera came with a T-threaded nose piece, so a regular T-adaptor works, but I've also seen them with Nikon lens connection's.

The shutter system, is the crux... There are a few ways to approach the shutter assembly. How much are you willing to spend to save yourself from becoming "MacGyver". Before you answer that consider that an SBIG, Appogee, or FLI camera with this same sensor would run you 5 to 7 times (maybe more) than you are already invested. If the camera snout is like what I got; there are shutters that can be purchased that will fit the camera. Melles Griot makes a shutter that fits, but their 6v solenoid needs to be replaced with a lower voltage 4v one. They're quite proud of their shutters($485 for the one you'd need) but consider that simply changing the solenoid and installing the shutter can save you a lot of time and trouble.

http://www.cvimellesgriot.com/Products/UltraThin-Electronic-Shutters.aspx

other than that route, it comes down to either using a filter wheel as a shutter(it's been suggested to me but not sure of implementing it effectively) or buying a surplus shutter off ebay or some other site and manufacturing a housing. You would still need to work out the trigger mechanism voltage for the shutter solenoid. The shutter circuit on the camera sends a pulse to open and a contiuous voltage to hold the shutter open. You can always use that to control a photo diode trigger and supply your own circuitry and voltage for what ever shutter you find.

Remember; that sensor is 33mm diagonal so you need a shutter with clear aperture preferably larger than 33mm or you'll be dealing with harsh vignetting. I'm fairly certain that my Melles Griot shutter is the 42.7mm model but I never measured it and the model number has been superceded.

Do take the time to read through the thread, it's quite interesting although some of the pictures are no longer available. Many of the people who took part and documented this thread are still around (and still love thier cameras)

It is a project so enjoy the ride. If you have troubles, come back and post your questions!(there will probably be a few) I'll do my best to help any way I can!

Here is my most recent capture with the quantix(2013). The Lagoon through an AT6RC. Single 5 minute sub exposure with a 7nm Ha filter

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5968578 - 07/13/13 06:47 AM

Zerro1, what happened to your small sensor kaf1401 experiment?

zerro1
Postmaster

#5968895 - 07/13/13 12:02 PM Attachment (27 downloads)

I'm sorry Orly, I thought I posted a piucture. In just a test with it, I shot a quick series of the Orion Nebula. I discovered a few things in the procedure. The 1401E camera does "not" have Tec cooling. It runs at 10C with a fan/heat sink. Uncalibrated, its noisey, but dark subtraction worked just fine to clean it up. So... 200 second subs with the 7nm Ha filter. can't recall but I think I stacked 20 of them to make this.

That was through the AT65EDQ

zerro1
Postmaster

#5968904 - 07/13/13 12:12 PM

Honestly, I have not had as much time as I would like to play around with this cam. even though the cooling is lacking, it still harvests the photons and the image scale is cool with small scopes.

I did layer mask that image to preserve the core

orlyandico
Postmaster

#5969190 - 07/13/13 03:32 PM

hmm. looks good considering that they go for $125.

but which specific PCI card is needed to drive the 1401? they seem to sell separately for $400-ish so not such a good deal.

zerro1
Postmaster

#5970411 - 07/14/13 01:42 PM

the 1401 SenSys that I have uses the same card and data cable as the 6303E. Not the cool-snap card

The 1401 model uses a different power supply than the 6303E though.

Edited by zerro1 (07/14/13 01:44 PM)

hjd1964

Reged: 05/24/12

#6076701 - 09/12/13 10:24 AM

I bought one of these 6303e camera's on EBay. I configured a windows xp machine and the camera works great. No major defects on the CCD and the darn thing looks like it was never used. Cooling is amazing with no visible signs of condensation.

Now I'm in the process of adding the t-threads and shutter. Fortunately I have access to a lathe at work.

For the t-threads I'll use a threaded insert from an old minolta t-adaptor I have laying around. I want to keep the housing compact, so I'm going to machine down the nose of the cover and tap new holes for the 4-40 set screws to mount down the t-thread ring (in a machined out recess) so the cover total thickness should be about 1/2".

For the shutter I used an EBayed Prontor (like the Surplus Shed one). I decided to ditch the included solenoid. I tested it on the camera and the hold force that the 4V shutter circuit provides is very weak. I know others have used it but this concerns me. Additionally, I went with a different solenoid because of size, I can enclose the solenoid in the housing and still keep things fairly small with the 1/2" OD x 2" length 6V solenoid I found. Ledex Part #: 151092-229 at $35 shipped. It should just barely fit and will require mounting and other modifications to work. I actually measured the return spring force of the shutter (when moderately loaded) and got a number of around 2-5 OZ depending on how fast you want it to close. The shutter pin travels about 0.15" according to my measurements and the solenoid is rated to provide about 2.2 OZ at 5.5V, at 4V it's probably around 1.5 OZ (guessing) and should just barely be ok. I didn't measure the stock solenoid, but I doubt if it makes 1/2 that force. Any comments about my choice of solenoid would be welcome, this is all guesswork!

I'm also working on a ring to go between the camera body and nose cover. I EBayed a bit of 3.25"ID x 4"OD aluminum tubing and will machine it out to accept the shutter. The final wall thickness will be about 1/8" and length will be around 7/8".

So, the total distance between the CCD and the end of the T-Threads should come to about 1-3/4" and everything will be enclosed. Well, that's the plan anyway!

Edited by hjd1964 (09/12/13 10:27 AM)

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Quantix Camera Help Thread. new [Re: hjd1964]
      #6078530 - 09/13/13 11:04 AM

Welcome hjd1964! I changed the solenoid on my Melles Griot sensor from a 6v to a 4v. I had to weaken the return spring just a touch to get proper operation but it has continued to function flawlessly.
I just picked up an old machine vision camera that had a large sensor to get an extra shutter to play with.

hjd1964

#6079873 - 09/14/13 06:43 AM

Turns out that there was a long wait for the first solenoid I selected, so I looked around and ordered a similar device from ElectroMechanicSystems.com - and it's a 4V too. They shipped right away, should have it mid next week.

Last night I machined out the 4" OD x 0.875" L spacer and nose piece for the t-thread insert, all went well. I'm not a machinist so that was a relief.

I've done a fair amount of programming and will take a look at the prospects of making an ASCOM driver for this. I've made several ASCOM drivers, including a camera driver, for my Lumenera LU070M. But the Lumenera SDK is well documented and easy to use, this is pre-dot-net and will require more effort.

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: Quantix Camera Help Thread. new [Re: hjd1964]
      #6080024 - 09/14/13 09:22 AM

Quote:

I've done a fair amount of programming and will take a look at the prospects of making an ASCOM driver for this. I've made several ASCOM drivers, including a camera driver, for my Lumenera LU070M. But the Lumenera SDK is well documented and easy to use, this is pre-dot-net and will require more effort.

I have used MaximDL 5 Pro since it has support built in for PVcam, but it isn't my primary choice. sometimes have to turn the camera off, then back on when going from frame and focus, to capture. What prompts this action: The software(MaximDL) indicates the capture is in progress but the shutter hasn't fired. I'm assuming that Maxim isn't really getting feedback from PVcam about "state of camera".

Howard: downloading your Planetarium as I type! That looks like fantastic work! I just upgraded to a couple newer laptops so they are blank i5 64 bit slates.

Do you know of a low cost external PCI card enclosure(low cost = NOT $900) that could connect to a laptop through USB? I'm using a Dell C2d with a PCI dock for the Quantix Cam control.(sure would like to use my Toughbooks instead)

hjd1964

#6080675 - 09/14/13 04:08 PM

Well Sky Planetarium is no MaximDL. But, it does support ASCOM camera's and it's where I like to image. It would be nice to get the Quantix working there.

As for the PCI card enclosure, I took a quick look around when I read about these camera's and didn't see anything affordable. If I had to have a portable setup, I'd build myself an energy efficient SFF pc and get a deep cycle marine battery.

From what I've read here, the software for these cameras won't work with windows 7 64 bit but is ok on the 32 bit version? If that's the case, I might need to switch my observatory computer over to it since it's running the 64 bit version. But first, I'll work with the camera on a spare windows xp machine here at home for testing and driver development.

Very excited to get this camera going, the KAF6303e is slightly larger than my DSI-II Pro's ICX429ALL and should make for some interesting imaging.

hjd1964

#6081660 - 09/15/13 08:19 AM

Below is a pic of what I've got done so far:

SBarden

Reged: 01/11/11

Loc: Sunspot, NM
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: AITech]
      #6083799 - 09/16/13 12:03 PM

Hi. In the early days of this thread, I mentioned that I was buying three of these cameras for an instrument concept that I was hoping to build. Well, I'm still hoping to build that instrument. I have recently set up a kickstarter campaign to try to raise funds for it since the key technical components that I need are out of my budgetary reach. Hopefully I can post the link here in this message. If any of you know anyone who might be interested in partnering through financial support, please forward them the link!! I would greatly appreciate it! Here is the link http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2060689078/psi-to-see-the-heavens-differe...

Thanks!! Also, great to see this thread continue!

Sam

SBarden

Reged: 01/11/11

Loc: Sunspot, NM
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: SBarden]
      #6083802 - 09/16/13 12:05 PM

Also, do you think that I can post this link in the cloudynight classified section?

zerro1
Postmaster

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: SBarden]
      #6084312 - 09/16/13 04:56 PM

I'd ask one of the mediators/administrators that question. I just don't know the answer

hjd1964

#6087710 - 09/18/13 10:45 AM

First light for my Quantix camera. Lots of obstacles, including not being able to sight on Polaris to align the mount and the 'scope being out of collimation. I've pressed my old Meade 8" SCT OTA back into service for this since it's easier to mount up the (heavy) camera. No shutter yet as I'm still waiting for the solenoid. Instead I used a "manual" shutter... a black cardboard sheet over the telescope objective while starting the exposure and stopping it. A new spin on an old technique from my film days. This is unprocessed, aside from a 4:1 reduction in size. About 15 seconds of exposure.

Edited by hjd1964 (09/18/13 11:25 AM)

Pages: << 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 40170

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics