Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)
macona

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: gnabgib]
      #4677816 - 07/06/11 08:55 PM

You are looking at the wrong dimension. .5" from the front of the camera to the sensor. '

I dont think their drawing is completely accurate. Nikon F mount spec is 46.5mm from the flange to the surface. Using their dimensions it would mess up the focus on lenses. You could not get infinity focus.

With your mount it puts the front face 2.2" from the sensor which I think is not too bad.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #4678025 - 07/06/11 11:01 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

Quote:

Keith can you give us a dimension using the original faceplate?

Below is a very rough sketch of the optical path. I measured about 1.62" from the window to the filter wheel housing, which includes the flange and the 10mm T-thread spacer (which I show as 0.5"; as I said its a rough sketch). Bottom line is that Kevin's very nicely designed holder is about the same distance if one were to use a short adapter to attach a wheel. --Keith

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #4678039 - 07/06/11 11:07 PM Attachment (35 downloads)

This is a pic of the camera for reference. Note the sophisticated light blocking material that I used to cover the gap created by the shutter. --Keith

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4678070 - 07/06/11 11:23 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

Took this last night - M16, Ha, 6X5m, no binning, EdgeHD 8" f/10 . Don't look too close - this is a very difficult object for me as it is low in my sky and there is only about a one hour window between obstructions, and seeing was poor, and I had guiding issues (excuses, excuses)...This is the full frame of the CCD, no cropping. --Keith

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: gnabgib]
      #4678110 - 07/06/11 11:59 PM

David,

Thanks for the reply. Don't know if U don't ask! Kevin thanks for the drawing and the awsome housing.

I did some research on CCD to flange distance,adding filter wheels etc. Also some research on similar conversations re the filters and wheels here on cloudy nights.

From what I have gathered, I have concluded (for my situation) that having the 4.5 inches of draw on my EDQ is a good thing. If I understand the process correctly. (correct me if wrong) I will have to potentially subtract 2.5 inches from my refractor draw to accomodate a wheel and filters. That leaves me to have to draw only 2 inches focuser to reach focus. Keith already stated he reaches focus with both his SCT (with focuser)and his refractor.

Keith is ~2 inches of draw for the EDQ to reach focus the right number from the draw tube?

If so, Good news for all of us going with F6, F5 with 4 to 6 inches of draw and F10 SCT type scopes "similar" to Keiths. Seems the SCTs will have few problems because of the way they focus with the mirror, No more mods necessary. Even with the additional .25 inch on Kevin's design. (looks like the focus draw math is in our favor)

The newts face a different issue with the lack of draw. But if 2 inches of draw with wheels etc. becomes the magic number then even the newts "may" hit focus with Kevins design.

Please share with other users any solutions you all come up with to get the Newts in the show.

Joe

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4678122 - 07/07/11 12:09 AM

Keith and Kevin keep it up with the pics, you are way ahead and proving for us all that good old fashion Yankee ingenuity still works. Thanks,

Joe

SBarden

Reged: 01/11/11

Loc: Sunspot, NM
      #4679222 - 07/07/11 03:57 PM

Hi Keith,

Did you have buffer problems (Camera image buffer read failed) when running microManager? Could you please post your configuration file? Perhaps I jumped the gun, I set up a file for two cameras, I should try only one at first. I'm also guessing that my computer may not have enough memory (only 512MB).

Thanks,

SBarden

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: SBarden]
      #4679319 - 07/07/11 04:47 PM

I've set up a config file for only 1 camera. It gives me the same error, but, if I set the exposure to 1000 ms or larger, it works! It seems to only fail when the exposure is less than 1000 ms. Hmmmm, I wonder why?

SBarden

#4679359 - 07/07/11 04:57 PM

I reloaded the dual camera configuration. It works fine for camera1 as long as the exposure is 1 second or longer. Camera2 failed with the buffer error. The multi-camera plugin appears to work, but it is apparent that my computer does not have sufficient memory to read out both cameras. One is read out, but the second one fails.

At least I think I'm getting closer to multi-camera operation.

Edited by SBarden (07/07/11 05:44 PM)

SBarden

#4679641 - 07/07/11 07:10 PM

Well, unfortunately, the PC I am using maxes out at 512 MB memory.

macona

#4679915 - 07/07/11 09:12 PM

Wow, how old of a computer do you have that limits you to 512M ram?

SBarden

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: macona]
      #4680298 - 07/08/11 01:01 AM

It's a loaner from work. I have a Mac and a notebook, not a desktop, so had to borrow this one.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4680320 - 07/08/11 01:28 AM

Hi Sam,

A gig or 2 of memory might put your issues to rest. Sounds like you need a better desk top or think pad type lap top similar to Jerry and Kevin.

macona

#4680431 - 07/08/11 04:36 AM

Go down to goodwill or other thrift or surplus stores. I often see higher end P4's going for $10 to $15. Then dump a couple gigs of ram in it.

SBarden

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: macona]
      #4680670 - 07/08/11 09:27 AM

Thanks. Yes, it sounds like I'll have to invest in something like that. For now, I've been buying bits and pieces for the instrument that I want to hook these cameras up to. Just bought a half wave plate for 1/3rd the cost of a new one ($300 rather than $900). I'll make do with RSImage on the current PC for now.

SBarden

#4680858 - 07/08/11 11:15 AM

I'm wondering about this PC. It is a Dell P4. I'll have to double check with our IT person on this. It seems like it should be able to accommodate more than 512 MB of memory.

SBarden

#4681428 - 07/08/11 04:07 PM

I don't know if anyone is interested. There may be an optical camera that is ideal for these detector systems. A while ago, Surplus Shed started selling a very fast 6-inch triplet and a negative doublet that went with the lens. Many have tried to make something out of those lenses, but with little success.

Surplus Shed is now selling the full optical system. I've bought one and indications so far are that it is a wonderful lens. I haven't yet attached my quantix to it, but believe that it will work great. I've been posting information as I learn it on the forum that was originally started a few years ago for the 6-inch f/1.6 lens.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4681366&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart=2&vc=1&PHPSESSID=

Cheers.

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4681798 - 07/08/11 07:01 PM Attachment (28 downloads)

I saw that and was intrigued - it looks like it has a similar shutter to the one that some of us are using. If I hadn't bought an AT65 for wide-field at NEAF I would consider it...

Sam, I apologize for not responding to your earlier questions but it sounds like you found the same shutter timing issue that I had - minimum 1000mS for some reason. I doubt this will help but here is the config file:

# Generated by Configurator on Sat Jul 02 22:01:27 EDT 2011

# Reset
Property,Core,Initialize,0

# Devices
Device,Camera-1,PVCAM,Camera-1

# Pre-init settings for devices

# Pre-init settings for COM ports

# Initialize
Property,Core,Initialize,1

# Delays

# Roles
Property,Core,Camera,Camera-1
Property,Core,AutoShutter,1

# Camera-synchronized devices

# Labels

# Configuration presets
# Group: Channel

# Group: System
# Preset: Startup

# PixelSize settings

As you can see there isn't much in it.

A couple of uM things I found:

1 - There is a "Sequence buffer size" setting in the options. I set it to 500MB. I assume that it will limit the number of frames that you can take in a sequence without saving to disk. But...
2 - I use the "Multi-D Acquire" mode to take a sequence and saved them to disk, which is far safer than RSImage. But I tried to stop the sequence at one point (when my target, M16, went behind a tree), but it didn't stop the exposure that it was taking, which left the shutter open when I slewed to the next object. As a result there was a nasty bright star trail on the image. This left a residual charge image on the CCD that did not clear out in the next exposure. Which leads me to...
3 - The "Property Browser" under tools is very important. In there I increased the number of clear cycles to 10 and took several short exposures to help remove the charge. One thing to be aware of is the CCD temp setting - for some reason it was set to -5C but I've been operating at -30C.
4 - Of course, now that I write this I found that you can set defaults for everything in the config file...

Re the PC - I also had an old Dell with only 512MB of RAM when I first installed the card, so after confirming the operation of the camera I bought a cheap used P4 with 2GB of RAM; see my post near the bottom of page 9.

--Keith

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4681821 - 07/08/11 07:09 PM

The SS optical assy does have the same shutter, so the camera could operate it directly.

Sam, out of curiosity, I think you said that you want to operate 3 cameras - are you trying to make a simultaneous RGB or narrowband system, or is it for photometry? (If you can't tell us, I understand...) --Keith

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4681828 - 07/08/11 07:13 PM

Quote:

Keith is ~2 inches of draw for the EDQ to reach focus the right number from the draw tube?

Sorry for the late reply (again!), Joe - I seem to remember that the tube scale was around 4 or 5 (cm) at focus so that's about right. --Keith

Pages: << 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38040

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics