Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)
sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #4682081 - 07/08/11 10:07 PM

Keith,

Thanks for keeping up. Hukuna Ma Ta Ta!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SBarden

Reged: 01/11/11

Loc: Sunspot, NM
      #4682206 - 07/08/11 11:33 PM

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the tips.

I've got a couple of things that I'm trying to pursue. The 6-inch camera is just for fun.

The 3 cameras are for an instrument concept that is basically a hyperspectropolarimeter. It would produce 2-d spatial images with spectral and polarimetric information. I work at the National Solar Observatory. Spectropolarimetry is critical for the study of solar features. I've got an idea for an instrument that should make those observations much more efficient. It should also be applicable to other night time astronomical studies.

Unfortunately, my organization doesn't have the funds to let me make a prototype and this venture is outside of what I was hired to do, so I'm trying to get it done on my own funds and time. I've now got basically everything except the key technical components. The company is going to send me some rejects that should be good enough as a proof of concept.

I am wanting to keep a lid on the specifics, but I'll be happy to show results as I achieve them to this group. It just might take a while. I don't make a whole lot of progress since this has to be done outside my normal duties.

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Reged: 02/19/10

Loc: La-la land.
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: SBarden]
      #4682256 - 07/09/11 12:17 AM

HEY! You work at Sunspot. I'll probably bump into you this fall. I'm working with Thomas Rimmele.

SBarden

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: seryddwr]
      #4682264 - 07/09/11 12:20 AM

I work for him as well! I am managing the adaptive optics effort for the ATST.

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
      #4682338 - 07/09/11 01:07 AM

That sounds like an interesting project and a fascinating place to work, Sam! My employer just finished building a telescope not too far (by my remote distance) from where you are for the Air Force. First light was in February. We also have built a number of CCDs for AO applications. I don't think that we have done much for solar astronomy except that we made the CCDs for the EVE experiment on the SDO (we have a technique to enhance QE for short wavelengths).

Its unfortunate that you have to fund your own pet project. We have similar issues. I have found in the past that sometimes having limited resources forces you to be creative and you can get the job done anyway and learn something along the way. But I'd rather have it the other way around...

Are any of the fires affecting you or are they further north? --Keith

SBarden

#4682774 - 07/09/11 10:07 AM

Hi Keith,

Which company do you work for? I used to work at NOAO in Tucson, then moved to the AAO in Australia in 2003. Started at NSO just last year.

We had a slight scare a couple of weeks ago with a fire called the little Lewis. It was due east from us and about 12 miles away. Fortunately, it didn't blow up like many of the others. The Donaldson fire is the next closest, but it is far enough away not to be a threat.

Monsoons are supposed to kick in this week. We really need the rain. Fortunately, we had a fairly good soaking on the 4th.

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4682876 - 07/09/11 10:55 AM

I work for the Advanced Imaging Group at MIT-Lincoln Lab. We have built CCDs for a number of applications including the Chandra AIS and PanSTARRS. Glad to hear that the fires are far away from you - hopefully it stays that way! --Keith

SBarden

#4683158 - 07/09/11 01:20 PM

Thanks. Clouds are building up this morning. Hopefully it will rain, but there is always some lightning.

How are the PanSTARRS devices coming? Are they all just waiting for Mike to thin them at the UofA?

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4683242 - 07/09/11 02:06 PM

Mike is our competition! We have our own thinning process that works at the wafer level; I think he thins individual chips. IfA has been getting good data from GPC1 I believe (I think they found a comet recently), and the devices for GPC2 are coming along. From what I gather its astronomy on the cheap - synoptic survey capability for a fraction of the cost of, say, LSST. But that is my own opinion, not that of my employer...--Keith

SBarden

#4690321 - 07/13/11 01:37 PM

I've noticed a bit of moisture on the inside surface of the window on one of my cameras. Has anyone ventured to see if they can change out the sieve or pull another vacuum?

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Reged: 12/07/05

Loc: Toronto
      #4690520 - 07/13/11 03:55 PM

Sam,

Stop bothering with that and tell us if the Surplus Shed f/1.2 lens produces a decent image!!!

Jim

SBarden

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: Jim Chung]
      #4690656 - 07/13/11 05:06 PM

Jim,

It has been cloudy all week here so far. I've got most of what I need for that camera test, but need a small bracket made. Will certainly post as soon as I can.

Sam

SBarden

#4690729 - 07/13/11 05:57 PM

Well, I just re-examined the window and thought I'd clean it. The spot disappeared, so even though it appeared to be on the inside of the window, it was actually a smudge on the outside! doh!

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4691016 - 07/13/11 09:03 PM

Whew!

macona

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
      #4691332 - 07/14/11 12:00 AM

Yeah, you're telling me. I have the equipment to pull one of these down, but I am expecting the connector to be similar to the ones used on HPGe detectors which I dont know where to get the matching fitting.

I have a small, portable, turbo pumped system with a 200AMU e-mult RGA on it at home. I am setting up for doing my own optical thin films.

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: macona]
      #4691677 - 07/14/11 08:45 AM

If anybody has that problem I could probably get it evacuated but as you said the fittings might be a problem. I'm guessing that you would want 1e-5T or so which would be more than doable with your turbo.

Well, that's an unusual item to have in one's home! Is the pump big enough for a deposition chamber? Do you have any of the other components that you need (e-gun, valves, etc.)? Just curious...--Keith

macona

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
      #4692037 - 07/14/11 12:26 PM

That system is mostly just for leak testing and the like. I can get it down to the low -8's to high -9 with a good bake out. It just has a little 60l/s pfeiffer turbo on it, I have two more little leybolds the same size. I figure it would also be a good little system for doing some neon work.

My main system is a bit bigger. 18x18" pyrex bell jar, pumped with a 6" diffusion pump with a cryo trap, I can get it down to the low -7 to high -8. I also have a 100AMU RGA. I just got the adapter to install the crystal sensor holder to monitor deposition rates, I have an old maxtek dep controller. For doing the deposition itself I have a couple choices. I have some pretty heavy vacuum feedthroughs and some tungsten and moly boats for evaporation. I also installed ferrofludic rotary feedthoughs for shutters. The other option I am still working on. I have a 2.5kw, 450khz, Advanced Energy pulsed power supply so I can do sputtering, cvd, pvd, pecvd, etc. I am trying to find a small magnetron sputtering head but have not had a whole lot of luck. May end up building one from scratch.

I dont think I can fit an e-gun in the chamber. I had a 4 pocket once and it was pretty big.

Stupid expensive hobbies...

A few pics on my flickr page:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67292116@N00/sets/72157624966196085/

New shatter guard by macona, on Flickr

SBarden

#4692129 - 07/14/11 01:11 PM

I noticed that AITech has another KAF6303 camera on ebay.

SBarden

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #4692504 - 07/14/11 05:33 PM

Has anyone done anything with the lenses that came with the camera? I'm going to make a finder with one. I'll attach it to a 2-inch diagonal mirror at the front. The lens tube is slightly larger than 2 inches, so can be turned down to fit into the diagonal. An eyepiece adapter should be easy to fit to the threaded back for focus.

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4693582 - 07/15/11 09:57 AM

Jerry, I went to your Flickr page - Wow! I am in awe! Conflat flanges, Inficon RGA, feedthroughs, pumps...How cool! When I mentioned an e-beam source I was thinking of one of those little Cooke Vacuum sources with 4 pockets but they probably don't make those anymore - it would fit nicely in a chamber like that I think, although the bell jar might be a little short. I bought one for a system that was in a lab that I built about a hundred years ago and it worked well; I scrounged up some old supplies for the magnet (it wasn't a scanned source) and for the HV and filament. So the students had to remember to turn on the magnet supply otherwise the beam wouldn't hit the pocket. A couple of years went by without incident but sure enough it happened - "Keith, I've got emission current but I can't see the beam!" By the time I saw it the beam had created a crack in the bell jar - thank God for implosion shields! And them there was the time that I had a PE sputtering tool and I was doing a long dep at night - went to get a sandwich, came back and there wasn't a plasma. I couldn't see anything wrong through the viewport at first - then I realized that the entire chamber was filled with water! And then there was the time....

Sorry, I guess vacuum systems get me excited! I never get to work with them these days...Have fun! --Keith

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38192

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics