Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green GuÖ uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | >> (show all)
SBarden

Reged: 01/11/11

Loc: Sunspot, NM
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #4744584 - 08/12/11 04:53 PM

I am finally getting microManager to work. I still get the error at times, but I believe it is due to a timeout being too short. It seems as though when I increase the timeouts to be greater than the readout time, it seems to work, but not always. At least I am now getting it to work more often than not! Haven't tried the multiple camera mode lately though.

I'm hoping to try to get some night sky images with the fast lens tonight during the Perseids. I don't know if it will clear off or not though.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shurik

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: SBarden]
      #4751822 - 08/16/11 06:09 PM

So...can anyone confirm that CCDSoft supports PVCAM?? my version does not....

thus another question what does everyone use to image EXCEPT RSIimaging soft which so limited it can not even take multiple exposures..I guess one has to sit there all night and press the shutter ??

Alex

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Reged: 12/07/05

Loc: Toronto
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: shurik]
      #4752780 - 08/17/11 09:18 AM

Maxim DL!

shurik

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: Jim Chung]
      #4753572 - 08/17/11 04:41 PM

maxim conflicts with the guiding , see my earlier posts

macona
sage

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
      #4753611 - 08/17/11 05:09 PM

Use PHd. Maxim wont force it.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: macona]
      #4754032 - 08/17/11 09:12 PM

I use the same method as keith, Image with one computer and guide with another. And yuh for now I am tending the aquire button. Had mega coluds all summer, not much imaging time, so time under the stars even pressing a button seems well spent. I hope another solution comes soon but I can deal with it for the time being. Had one computer crash and couldn't process the data I have. That macine is fixed now.

I hope the images I have are worth the time invested.

Clear Skies!

SBarden

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #4780037 - 08/31/11 12:41 PM

I finally got some crude sky images with the Surplus Shed lens and the Quantix camera. They are posted at:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4780032&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=all&fpart=4&vc=1&PHPSESSID=

Note that the focus still wasn't optimal, but it looks like this will be a great combo.

I need to get a shutter installed!

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
      #4780088 - 08/31/11 01:05 PM

Hi Sam - I've been meaning to post some images from the SS lens, haven't had time - A good friend of mine bought it and has attached his SBIG 8300 to it. What he found is that it seems to be corrected for red/NIR - red images are flat to the corners, but blue show barrel distortion. Nevertheless if he is really careful about focusing it is not too bad. He gave me permission to post some of his stuff (I'm trying to get him to join CN) - I'll try to do that tonight. We're thinking that it might be really good for wide-area Ha images (with a big filter on the front). --Keith

(Going to post a pic and copy this to the other thread...)

Edited by kw6562 (08/31/11 01:17 PM)

SBarden

#4780114 - 08/31/11 01:15 PM

That is what I was going to do with this as well. I bought a 10 nm H-alpha filter to use with it. I was hoping to start off by just pointing it up at the sky and taking short enough exposures so that the stars don't trail. The images would be long bands in RA. Someday, I hope to get a proper mount that will track.

How is he focusing? Is there a fine focuser with a low enough profile? Or is he able to use the front lens adjustment?

Anyway, thanks for the info on the color aspects.

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4780143 - 08/31/11 01:26 PM

He has been using the lens adjustment for focus. --Keith

SBarden

#4780181 - 08/31/11 01:45 PM

Thanks.

SBarden

#4780711 - 08/31/11 06:26 PM

RSImage does take multiple exposures. You set how many on the same window that you set the exposure time.

Unfortunately, they are not automatically saved, but evidently kept in memory. I ran out of virtual memory last night after taking about 25 images in this mode. The images are then saved in the same file as separate frames or pages. Irfanview will extract them into individual files.

Does either Maxim DL (I understand that the Pro version is required for these cameras) allow a long series of exposures to be taken and automatically saved to disk?

MicroManager also takes series, but again, I don't think it does an auto save. I'm also still having trouble with that error message I get. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4781112 - 08/31/11 10:10 PM

Quote:

RSImage does take multiple exposures. You set how many on the same window that you set the exposure time.

Unfortunately, they are not automatically saved, but evidently kept in memory. I ran out of virtual memory last night after taking about 25 images in this mode. The images are then saved in the same file as separate frames or pages. Irfanview will extract them into individual files.

Does either Maxim DL (I understand that the Pro version is required for these cameras) allow a long series of exposures to be taken and automatically saved to disk?

MicroManager also takes series, but again, I don't think it does an auto save. I'm also still having trouble with that error message I get. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm still using RSImage as well, limited to 10 exposures. I usually take no more than 5 or 6 at a time to avoid losing the data if the machine crashes (hasn't yet, but I'm being cautious). I'm pretty sure Irfan converts the data to 8-bit tifs when you use it to break apart the file so that's why I use ImageJ (see my post on page 9) - the 16-bit format is preserved.

I've given up on MicroManager for the moment - too unstable for my system. (It does save to disk though). I have this theory that I might write some of my own code but I think the sun will burn up the earth long before that happens....Anyway I'm trying to reconcile myself to the fact that I will probably have to buy Maxim at some point.

Still the camera is working great and I should be able to post some new images soon. --Keith

macona
sage

#4807800 - 09/14/11 04:55 PM

Still have not taken any shots with my camera. I got the superwedge remachined and still need to make up a tangent arm for the tripod.

I am also in the middle of building a off axis guider as documented here: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4806610/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Hopefully that will be done soon. I think the parts are ready for anodizing now.

gatsbyiv
sage

Reged: 03/29/09

Loc: Whitehouse Station, NJ
      #4839695 - 10/02/11 04:22 PM

Except indoor testing, I still haven't used mine yet, because I haven't found a way to run the thick cable to my desktop inside. The PCI card interface (and a lot of clouds) have been keeping me away from this otherwise excellent camera. But I just purchased a thin client with a PCI slot on ebay for $155 that I'm hoping I can put at the telescope, then VNC into it with a simple ethernet cable. If anyone is interested, there are a few more available here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-T5730-S2100-1gbf-1gb-Thin-Client-w-PCI-EXP-MODULE-/290607487069?pt=COMP_EN_Workstations&hash=item43a98e585d

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

#4853214 - 10/10/11 02:10 AM

Finally got a break in the weather. Here is the result...

North America Nebula by Sullij1, on Flickr

Will take a while to get the procesing down but its a start.

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4853537 - 10/10/11 09:36 AM

SBarden

#4854215 - 10/10/11 03:56 PM

Very nice.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

#4854811 - 10/10/11 09:45 PM

Thanks, special thanks to Kevin again for the much appreciated help with the shutter. Yuh it is not what you call portable but works like a charm in the yard.
Forgot to add the 411 I ask for, sorry.
NGC 7000 Image
Scope=EDQ 65 Quad
Mount=CGE
Bin= 2X2
Gain=2
Exposure= 16x300sec and 2x600sec
Dark= 1
Exposure Type= RAW (Must be)
Filter= Baader 7nm Ha
Stack in DSS
Pre Process= Nebulosity
Finish process= PS3
Guiding with SSAG on notebook
Camera capture in RSI Image on separate XTI computer
Let Cam auto white balance in RSI preference menu and adjust from there.
Hope that helps others.
I made the mistake of shooting in Normal mode for my first experiment and lost 3 hours of data. You will not be able to calibrate the image in post process if you donít shoot RAW.
Under a near full moon I was able to shoot up to 10 minutes. Havenít experimented with longer subs yet. Hope the info helps others over the learning curve.BTW the EDQ focuser held up fine.
Here is the shooting setup:

Guide with 1 &amp; shoot with the other by Sullij1, on Flickr

macona
sage

#4861498 - 10/14/11 09:00 PM

Cool, I got my guider all finished now, couple more things to do and hopefully it will all work.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4806610/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 40210

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics