Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | >> (show all)
veil
journeyman

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Bathurst Australia
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new
      #5051002 - 02/02/12 03:37 AM

I just bought one of the quantix cameras and I thought I would share some things I have learned about its use. It has the shutter and machining done by the fine gentleman on this forum.

Firstly it runs fine on windows 7 32bit. It does not work with win 7 64 bit as much as I tried. As my main obs computer with all the automation software was 64 bit, that's kinda annoying. I have run it only in maxim. I did have an error with one of my windows 7 machines with an error on every second exposure. I cannot remember the exact code but it was a camera error in maxim dl. Because it worked fine with my other win 7 machine without issue, I think that it may have been caused by the power supply of one of the computers not having enough juice(350 vs 600w).

I do have use of a an sbig stl6303 that I am planning on doing some comparisons with. Without a lot of testing being done, the quantix noise characteristics are looking very good in comparison.

I am fortunate to have 2 observatories, one remote and one for 'testing' at home. I have the quantix mounted at the home obs on a vixen vc200l, run by ccdap5. Unfortunately we have had 3 weeks of cloudy nights so I haven't got the testing that I have wanted to get done.

Stayed tuned for some comparisons.

Regards
Brett

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: veil]
      #5051854 - 02/02/12 02:40 PM

Hi,

I wondered who got that camera. Is it the one that appeared on Astromart? I will be looking forward to the comparisons. Thanks.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #5051874 - 02/02/12 02:52 PM

BTW, you may want to blacken the inside of the shutter housing. The metal finish is pretty sparkly. Might cause internal reflection issues.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5051883 - 02/02/12 02:56 PM

Please continue to let us know how well the cam continues to function in Maxim. A lot of users are leaning toward Maxim when finances permit. It would be nice to have an eval on performance befor laying out buy in on Maxim.

veil
journeyman

Reged: 04/20/08

Loc: Bathurst Australia
      #5052028 - 02/02/12 04:21 PM

It's very stable in maxim. I am away from home at the moment, but the one trick you need to know is that the camera has to be 'identified' by the roper software first, I just can't remember which part of the software does it!

Also in maxim in advanced I had to click the button 'has shutter'. It would not identify the camera without that button checked.

Also maxim has the feature use filter wheel as shutter.

Yes I bought the one off of Amart. My plan is to mill out the t thread to a sct thread, to stop vignetting on faster scopes. The long term plan for the camera is to have it mounted on my ap130 f6.

Brett

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5052285 - 02/02/12 07:08 PM

Thanks for the contribution to the thread.

Ed J

Reged: 05/31/07

Loc: Tujunga, California
      #5065695 - 02/10/12 03:22 PM

To all, "HELP" is what I need, as I've been looking for a camera, decided that 6303 would be good for my use. Searched and found this string. The price is (or was) right. The shutter and lens mounting would be no problem.
A good use for this camera would be attached to: http://edhiker.50webs.com/SSCT_flyer/SSCT_flyer_of_100918.htm
Am I too late to find one?

Ed Johnson

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: Ed J]
      #5065846 - 02/10/12 04:58 PM

Quote:

To all, "HELP" is what I need, as I've been looking for a camera, decided that 6303 would be good for my use. Searched and found this string. The price is (or was) right. The shutter and lens mounting would be no problem.
A good use for this camera would be attached to: http://edhiker.50webs.com/SSCT_flyer/SSCT_flyer_of_100918.htm
Am I too late to find one?

Ed Johnson

Too late for the time being unless someone here sees your post and wants to part. The last one that went on sale from a user here didn't last long. They pop up every now and then. Good luck.

AITech
Vendor

Reged: 07/01/11

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: poita]
      #5070823 - 02/13/12 04:53 PM

We should have more cameras tested and ready to sell by next week, but we are crazy busy with our normal business. There is a separate box of cameras that look like they have shutters FYI.

Edited by AITech (02/13/12 06:15 PM)

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Reged: 12/07/05

Loc: Toronto
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: AITech]
      #5072347 - 02/14/12 03:52 PM

Has anybody encountered shutter problems? Mine will occasionally misfire and not hold open the shutter for the duration of the exposure.

Jim

jsigone
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/27/08

Loc: Escondido--> San Diego, CA
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: Jim Chung]
      #5072394 - 02/14/12 04:17 PM

is the voltage to the solenoid clean? Maybe spikes in the PS are causing the shutter problems.

gnabgib
sage

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
      #5072781 - 02/14/12 09:00 PM

Quote:

Has anybody encountered shutter problems? Mine will occasionally misfire and not hold open the shutter for the duration of the exposure.

Jim

I had the same problem a solved it by reducing the spring tension on my shutter. I bent the leg of the spring that was resting against the solenoid. No issues since this mod.
Being unemployed and still looking for work has left little time for astronomy BUT I have found a few evenings to use the camera. Trying to have some fun when I can!!

Kevin

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5072968 - 02/14/12 11:05 PM

Quote:

We should have more cameras tested and ready to sell by next week, but we are crazy busy with our normal business. There is a separate box of cameras that look like they have shutters FYI.

I want one!!!!!! Please PM me! I am in your area!

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5072981 - 02/14/12 11:17 PM

Quote:

Jim

I had that problem my last 2 outings when it was cold. it happened during my 1 minute framing process. I did a few 1 sec focus shots to warm things up a bit and that seemed to fix the problem. I had one frame that seemed to get stuck and repeated the 1 sec focus shot routine. Haven’t had problems since. It may be temperature related.

I think we are doing stuff to components that was not in their original design plan. Ya know!

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: gnabgib]
      #5072986 - 02/14/12 11:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jim

I had the same problem a solved it by reducing the spring tension on my shutter. I bent the leg of the spring that was resting against the solenoid. No issues since this mod.
Being unemployed and still looking for work has left little time for astronomy BUT I have found a few evenings to use the camera. Trying to have some fun when I can!!

Kevin

Kevin,

Good to hear from you. Hope things work out on the job front.

Best,

Joe

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5072994 - 02/14/12 11:26 PM

Quote:

AIT you still rock!!! I sent Ed J a pm letting him know, just in case he is still interested.

AITech
Vendor

#5073636 - 02/15/12 12:15 PM

Put a couple of cameras on eBay. One is a little older with a temp display on the body, the other one fell over and hit a clamp ring and got a small ding. It still tests fine though. Price is lower for that one. These are cameras from the first batch.

We haven't taken control of the new batch yet but should happen any day now when our vender has the time to give us the keys.

Someone was asking about thread pitch and size. We are working to answer that. Will post when we got it figured out. The lens itself is a standard lens that you can get from Thorlabs, but the end was threaded tightly to give a better focus.

poita

Reged: 07/25/11

#5074861 - 02/16/12 02:26 AM

I tried to buy the dinged one on eBay, but can't as an Australian buyer. I would love to buy it though and have both US and Canadian addresses available for it to be shipped to. Please let me know if there is any way I can purchase it.
Thanks.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: poita]
      #5075261 - 02/16/12 10:46 AM

PM AIT, They will probably help you out.

AITech
Vendor

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: seryddwr]
      #5081980 - 02/20/12 01:07 PM

The threads look like either 40 tpi or 1.5 metric

Pages: << 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38063

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics