Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
SBarden

Reged: 01/11/11

Loc: Sunspot, NM
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: SBarden]
      #4666823 - 06/30/11 01:06 PM

Finally! I now have it working. The trick was to run the rsconfig program. Before I did that, I continued to get camera not found when running the pvcamtest.

Hopefully this gets me going now. Shurik, follow the installation steps above and then run rsconfig.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SBarden

#4666878 - 06/30/11 01:30 PM

I am now getting images through the RS Image package.

Thanks to all for their suggestions!

shurik

Reged: 10/07/07

#4666896 - 06/30/11 01:45 PM

Quote:

I found this readme file and am trying to follow it. Will let you know if I succeed.

Windows Install Notes PVCAM 2.6.9

19-JAN-2004

PVCAM version 2.6.9 has been modified to improve stability and fix an issue with installation on a Windows XP computer.

The installer will prompt to update the firmware located on the PCI interface card, if needed. It is STRONGLY recommended that you upgrade to the latest version of the PCI frimware.

INSTALLATION:

(1) Installing PVCam On a Clean System

If installing PVCAM on a system that has not had a prior
installation of PVCAM, follow these instructions.

1. Do not install the PCI card!
2. Run the PVCAM install program (PvCAMSetup.exe) from the
CDROM or hard drive. Choose to exit the install without rebooting.
3. Shut down the computer and install the PCI card.
4. Restart the computer. You can run RSConfig if you want to change the
default name of the camera, but this is not necessary.
5. Run PVCAMtest, found under the Start menu at
"Start->Programs->Roper Scientific->PVCamtest",
to verify that everything is working correctly.
6. (Optional) Run RSImageSetup.exe on the CDROM or hard drive
to install the RSImage application.

OK this worked ! the trick was to install driver while PCI card is out ( I simply removed laptop from docking station and run driver install) shut down the laptop , re-connect to docking station , turn it back on, also after that install RSI image and voila ! :-) I can even use maxim DL to run it , which is way more familiar for me...so now step 2 and 3 shutter and 2" nose adapter , thank you everyone for contributing !

SBarden

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: shurik]
      #4667463 - 06/30/11 08:19 PM

All 3 of my cameras are functional. I'll next see how the multi-camera operation works.

SBarden

#4668372 - 07/01/11 11:34 AM

Well, it will run multiple cameras, but not simultaneously. I was probably expecting too much! Does anyone know if simultaneous operation can be performed with other imaging programs?

SBarden

#4668425 - 07/01/11 12:15 PM

I did find that PVCam does support simultaneous triggering of multiple cameras. I'm not yet sure that RSImage has that. It only lets me pick one camera at a time.

Guess I'll need to dig around.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/08

#4668589 - 07/01/11 02:04 PM

Hi Sam,

Email photometrix or call them. They seemed willing to help macona.

macona
sage

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #4668727 - 07/01/11 03:44 PM

You will probably have to write software to do that. The RSImage software is very basic for very simple tasks. Anything beyond the dead simple you will need something custom.

SBarden

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: macona]
      #4668752 - 07/01/11 04:01 PM

I downloaded a freeware program called microManager. It is designed for microscopy. It claims to have multi-camera operation. Haven't yet tried it, but hopefully it will give me at lease some capability.

macona
sage

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
      #4668857 - 07/01/11 05:09 PM

I posted a link to uM earlier. Keith tried it but it wouldnt control the shutter which shouldnt not be a problem for you. I think it should control it though as I saw a log dump from someone having an issue and there was some shutter flags. So it may just be a bug.

SBarden

#4668869 - 07/01/11 05:17 PM

I've got a query in to a Roper sales rep who I have interacted with before. I also informed him about this forum! I also told the vendor that we bought these cameras from about this forum. He thought it was way cool. He indicated that he might join in to offer some guidance.

Edited by SBarden (07/01/11 05:18 PM)

shurik

Reged: 10/07/07

#4669002 - 07/01/11 07:03 PM

Hello Group, Does anyone have an access to a machine shop...all of my focusers are 2" and I have a 2" nosepiece with respective 2" threads, Quantix nosepeice has enough material to turn and thread it to accept 2" threaded adapter, has anyone done it already? thank you, Alex

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: shurik]
      #4669975 - 07/02/11 12:06 PM

Hi Alex - I can turn the piece to accept a T-thread adapter like I did for mine, but I don't have much experience cutting threads so I can't help you there. Look at Kevin's pictures on page 3 of this thread. --Keith

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #4671138 - 07/03/11 02:22 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to post this for laughs...This is my "control center" in the corner of the living room, looking out onto the deck where the roll-off is located, and that's me on the right. The laptop on the left is the main PC for the scope, including the "other" cameras. The monitor in the middle is connected to the desktop running the Quantix. The laptop on the right is dedicated to guiding through the ST4 jack. What a nerd...

Working on Ha of North America/Pelican tonight, as you can see...Clear skies --Keith

Hi Keith,

What was you exposure and gain settings to get the north american like that and what scope were you using?

Looks good. I am attempting the same with my EDQ 65 right now and am not getting that kind of contrast.

Thanks,

Joe

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

#4671148 - 07/03/11 02:42 AM

BTW, did you bin at all?

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

#4671160 - 07/03/11 03:08 AM

was that a stack or single exposure?

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
      #4671868 - 07/03/11 03:21 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Hi Joe - Sorry for the late reply. The image on the screen in the pic was a single 5 min sub through a Ha filter. The gain setting was 3, it was not binned, and the CCD temp was -30C. It was exceptionally clear that night for my location. The Ha filter is not a commercial filter, it was made for me by a friend in his coating lab and it has a fairly broad pass band, about 10 nm FWHM if I recall correctly. I posted a HaGB in another thread link.

Last night was mostly cloudy so I fooled around with MicroManager and got it to work when I made a new configuration file. I don't know what I did different. There is a line profile tool that could be useful for focusing (screen dump attached) and some other useful features, but it crashed twice for no apparent reason. I need to play with it some more. For the moment RSImage will have to suffice. Has anyone used Maxim with this camera yet? I might be willing to make the investment (don't tell my wife) if it works reliably with PVCAM. --Keith

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #4671928 - 07/03/11 03:58 PM

Hi Keith,

You sound like me, "don't tell my wife". (If I had a dime) Thanks for the reply. I checked the other thread. Good go! Did the frame seperator code you gave earlier work right? When you have time (I know its the 4th weekend) Could you explain what file the frame seperator code is inserted into and where.(if it's working for you) Sorry, even less of a hack than you. I will check out MicroManager. It definetly has some features that will help. Please let us know if you get it rolloing right and post some more code hack and tell us how. Clouds were messing me up last night too, so things didn't turn out that great. Will post some images of my humble setup soon. You canon photo of the NA actually looked beter, you said the the Quantix image is more a sampling issue from the 3" of the EDQ? Still a good go. Thanks again for your time and effort.

Joe

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

#4672005 - 07/03/11 04:38 PM

Here is the humble setup I have now. The ITX is in the
case.

512setupquantix!!!!!! by Sullij1, on Flickr

AT65EDQ ready to go

512mount!!!!!!! by Sullij1, on Flickr

And the NA one 180 sec from light polluted and foggy sky shot through a sucker hole (LUMI Only)NA is on its side with with mex pointing left. No time to frame or stack. Clouds were rolloing in fast

512NA by Sullij1, on Flickr

Some questions have been made about long readout time for the cam. I can say that mine reads out and posts and image almost immediately. No noticable delay. The focus function reads ~ 2 or 3 frames befor the frame is posted as an image but mine gives me a frame eaisly at 3 sec delay betwen frames (if that)making focus easy.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

#4672189 - 07/03/11 07:03 PM

Quote:

I sent a message to Craig over at Stark Labs about getting PVCAM support in Nebulosity. He says he needs a loaner camera to program with. So I put a bid on one of the lower res quantix cameras on ebay.

Hi Jerry,

Were you able to get Craig Stark a Quantix rig? Any word on Craig being able to work these into nebulosity? That would solve most of the software problems.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 40166

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics