Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)
kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: SBarden]
      #4693585 - 07/15/11 10:00 AM

Hi Sam - I have the shutter pix if you want them; please send me an address. --Keith

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
macona
sage

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #4694207 - 07/15/11 03:33 PM

I didnt know anyone made a small e-beam unit. The one I had might have fit inside the jar, but barely. I think it was an old Airco.

I am going to have to do some work on the system this weekend. The first project is coating a sapphire window with TiO2 for a friend.

Ill have to post a pic of the portable system. Its pretty nice. Inficon head unit is part of that system. The RGA I have on the chamber is a 100AMU Ametek Dycor Dymaxion. Much newer, connects via serial or ethernet to a PC where the software resides.

In the end it would be pretty cool to build my own filters. I found some open source software from a guy at MIT for thin film design.

SBarden

Reged: 01/11/11

Loc: Sunspot, NM
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: Jim Chung]
      #4699763 - 07/18/11 09:08 PM

Jim,

I just posted an image on the fast lens forum http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3399031/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/3/vc/1

Cheers

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Reged: 12/07/05

Loc: Toronto
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: SBarden]
      #4700623 - 07/19/11 11:19 AM

I saw it, looks great! I'm seriously tempted to get one from Surplus Shed but do I reallly need one??!!!

Jim

Jim Chung
Vendor - Icodome

Reged: 12/07/05

Loc: Toronto
      #4700629 - 07/19/11 11:21 AM

I just wanted publicly to thanks Kevin (gnabgib) for his unbelievable generosity and kindness for his help on this Quantix camera conversion.

Jim

gatsbyiv
sage

Reged: 03/29/09

Loc: Whitehouse Station, NJ
      #4701528 - 07/19/11 08:19 PM

Quote:

I just wanted publicly to thanks Kevin (gnabgib) for his unbelievable generosity and kindness for his help on this Quantix camera conversion.

Jim

Seconded! Kevin has been amazingly generous with his time and effort. The services he's helped me out with would otherwise be unavailable to me, and I really appreciate it. It is the epitome of what amateur astronomy is all about.

Charlie (gatsbyiv)

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: gatsbyiv]
      #4701612 - 07/19/11 08:58 PM

This has been a lot of fun, and Kevin certainly deserves credit for his assistance!

So at this point, has everyone:

- Installed a shutter?
- Interfaced to a computer and run RSImage successfully?
- Interfaced to a telescope or camera lens?
- Taken some decent pix?

Anybody stuck? Anything we can do to help?

--Keith

shurik

Reged: 10/07/07

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: gatsbyiv]
      #4702851 - 07/20/11 12:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jim

Seconded! Kevin has been amazingly generous with his time and effort. The services he's helped me out with would otherwise be unavailable to me, and I really appreciate it. It is the epitome of what amateur astronomy is all about.

Charlie (gatsbyiv)

Triple and Quadruple that !! Kevin's help has been amazing, I had to adapt the camera to 2 focusers and Kevin with his fantastic generosity had helped in both cases, if not for him my camera would probably end up just collecting dust for another year or so :-), but I am hoping to take my first image within a week and I know who I will dedicate it to if something decent comes out of my scope :-)

Alex

macona
sage

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #4702852 - 07/20/11 12:54 PM

Shutter installed and working with RSImage. Worked with a nikon lens I have.

Remachining the Meade super wedge I bought. Hopefully I will finish that this week.

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: macona]
      #4704939 - 07/21/11 02:27 PM

Hello all,

Also kudos to Kevin, for making us all aware of the availability of the Quantix and the assistance in getting them adapted. What a guy! Truly exemplifys the spirit of community here. Thank you Kevin.

Keith, AIT USA and Jerry thanks for your contributions also. Sorry I haven’t posted in a while, I have been socked in with costal fog and done no imaging. Check! - on all facets of having the camera up and running, it is good to go, albeit from a location with power only. Took my 9 year old to Disneyland this week (on vacation) and we are preparing for a trip to a dark site today. Having trouble finding one with power but we will be somewhere by Friday under the stars. Will post imagery when I get something that does the system justice.

In closing just want to say to others reading this thread, Here is what can be accomplished by people on budgets helping each other in the spirit of community, accomplish what may never have been and doing it competently, with courtesy and in great style. Well done Cloudy Nighters! Thank You.

SBarden

Reged: 01/11/11

Loc: Sunspot, NM
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #4705012 - 07/21/11 03:16 PM

Thought I'd add to the chorus and standing ovation! Thanks to all for their helpful comments. Well done!

I'm waiting for my bits to get modified before I can really hook at least one of my cameras up, notably to the fast camera. My 3 camera instrument concept is a bit on hold awaiting a decision on intellectual property rights and acquisition of the key technical element, sigh....

It is indeed great to see such collaboration and support without egos getting in the way. This is how the scientific community is supposed to work, but here politics and egos do often get in the way, especially when funds are tight and competitively pursued.

AITech
Vendor

Reged: 07/01/11

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #4705596 - 07/21/11 08:49 PM

Hello All,
Sorry for my absence. Next week, we are getting in 10 more cameras and I wanted to know if you all think it would be best if we modified the adapter that is on the camera. I think we can machine out the 44mm and make an insert with the T mount thread. The issue on our end is cost vs benefit. I know the cost, but unsure of the benefit.
Cheers,
AITech

macona
sage

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: AITech]
      #4706019 - 07/22/11 01:16 AM

I don't know if there would be much point. For most people they are going to need a shutter. So there is going to be machine work for them, or someone, either way.

AITech
Vendor

#4706778 - 07/22/11 01:37 PM

Thanks macona,
that's what I was figuring. one of my guys just told me that sdix makes a compatible shutter for about $500.
Cheers

macona
sage

#4706927 - 07/22/11 02:44 PM

Uniblitz sells the shutter on their website, 35mm model, also about $500. But that is just the mechanism. You will still need the housing for it. Dont know if they can be purchase from Photometrics. Still, that would probably be another $500.

shurik

Reged: 10/07/07

#4707036 - 07/22/11 03:43 PM

After all the soldering and generous help from Kevin who designed and made the housing the shutter is working! ready for photon capture.

Just out of curiosity, when I opened the back cover I discovered to my amusement there was actually some liquid inside cooling tubing sticking out of mother board, so I put some napkins into each of them and dried them out...was it a mistake to do ?? do we really need that liquid there if not using liquid coolant?? have a destroyed a cooling anti-freeze? :-)

I am not sure if this is related but the body of the camera did get somewhat "warm" after test imaging only for 5 minutes (the temp was set at -20) is this normal?

AITech
Vendor

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: shurik]
      #4707174 - 07/22/11 05:02 PM

We have been keeping track of the temperatures and they range from -20 to -30 without coolant.

jsigone
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/27/08

Loc: Escondido--> San Diego, CA
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: shurik]
      #4707177 - 07/22/11 05:04 PM

these have a TEC, the -20 is on the cold side of the TEC. The hot side will get warm if not a bit hot during use pending on the heatsink and airflow.

macona
sage

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: jsigone]
      #4707225 - 07/22/11 05:32 PM

The water is left over from the last user. Its actually a water/coolant mix. The fitting on the unit are pretty common CPC fitting. Both sides seal when they are disconnected so the left over water was trapped inside.

Supposedly the minimum temp with air cooling is -25c, water -35c. This is probably at the maximum ambient operating temperature of 86 degrees F. So the lower the ambient, the lower possible CCD temp which is exactly what we get at night.

Pretty darn good for what we paid. I dont thing any of the other astrocams come anywhere near this temp. Of course none of the other cams have a vacuum enclosed CCD to keep frost at bay.

Add: If you want to try water cooling these are the guys who make the fitting. The plastic and metal ones are interchangeable.

http://www.colder.com/Tabid/72/MaterialID/1/cID/1/Products.aspx

Edited by macona (07/22/11 05:54 PM)

sullij1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/08

#4707924 - 07/23/11 02:40 AM

Quote:

Hello All,
Sorry for my absence. Next week, we are getting in 10 more cameras and I wanted to know if you all think it would be best if we modified the adapter that is on the camera. I think we can machine out the 44mm and make an insert with the T mount thread. The issue on our end is cost vs benefit. I know the cost, but unsure of the benefit.
Cheers,
AITech

Please keep the price reasonable just as you have. Your gererosity has allowed people who could not afford such a system, (with a lil effort) have somthing that only the well heeled enjoyed. The oppertunity has clearly been appreciated now and no doubt will be in the future. Thanks AIT.

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 40206

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics