Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | >> (show all)
AITech
Vendor

Reged: 07/01/11

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #4905060 - 11/08/11 06:52 PM

Hey guys,
We got in 4 more cameras and working on more. One is on eBay. I know one of the guys on here was looking for one, but I have misplaced the email.
Cheers,
David

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/08/08

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: AITech]
      #4905341 - 11/08/11 10:05 PM

THANKS AIT, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Reged: 02/19/10

Loc: La-la land.
      #4957668 - 12/09/11 12:30 AM

Guys, I just received my cam. I can't get the PCI card to install, no matter what I do.

Edit: I'm running 64 bit XP, I installed the 64bit version of PVcam, then installed the PCI card, after turning of the computer, of course. Windows recognizes a new piece of hardware, but can't find the driver for it. I've tried to manually install a driver from both CDroms and from C:Program Files/Photometrics... Nothing! %$!%$#@%$!%$#@%#@%$!

Edited by seryddwr (12/09/11 12:40 AM)

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: seryddwr]
      #4957677 - 12/09/11 12:47 AM

If memory serves correct, we had to go to the photometrics web site and download the driver from there. It is in there legecy driver area. I think the link is in our mumbo jumbo somewhere.

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

#4957701 - 12/09/11 01:09 AM

According to the website, PVcam 2.7.10 and beyond, for 64bit systems, only supports firewire cams, so that may be a prob, too.

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

#4957711 - 12/09/11 01:20 AM

I tried 2.7.9.1, which is the first version to support 64bit machines. Still no dice.

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

#4957712 - 12/09/11 01:21 AM

I take it that everyone else is using 32 bit machines?

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

#4957726 - 12/09/11 01:51 AM

Tried 2.6.9.whatever. It installs fine, even though it's not made for 64bit machines, but the pci drivers don't work in the 64bit computer, so either I get the linux side of things working, or I have to bring my camera up to Sunspot, so that I can test it with Sam's computer. I mainly just want to know if my chip is OK, as I want to save up cash to have it installed in an Apogee body.

SBarden

Reged: 01/11/11

Loc: Sunspot, NM
      #4958081 - 12/09/11 11:24 AM

Hi Greg,

We can try it out on my laptop, I'll need to bring it into the office, but I want it up here anyway to some other tests I'm doing.

I'm guessing that the 64 bit is your issue.

Sam

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4958090 - 12/09/11 11:34 AM

Quote:

I take it that everyone else is using 32 bit machines?

Yes, I think that is a fair assumption.

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: SBarden]
      #4958214 - 12/09/11 12:54 PM

Quote:

Hi Greg,

We can try it out on my laptop, I'll need to bring it into the office, but I want it up here anyway to some other tests I'm doing.

I'm guessing that the 64 bit is your issue.

Sam

Yep. I have a 32bit laptop, but no docking station that would take pci cards. I suppose I could try a dual (triple really) boot, with one of the spare copies of 32 bit XP that I have around. We'll see how impatient I get, this weekend.

luxetveritas

Reged: 01/28/07

#4961089 - 12/11/11 10:10 AM

The 40mm Prontor shutter is $29 on ebay today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280530014100

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: luxetveritas]
      #4961450 - 12/11/11 02:01 PM

Thanks, I will pick one up as a backup.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4971801 - 12/17/11 11:17 PM

Posted this in CCD forum but decided to post it here as we will all need a solution for the spikes in these ultra sensitive CCDs. It is software options to help deal with the bloom spikes that will develop on bright stars. I bought the Starizona stuff.

Your choices are 1. Bloom repair scripts in Maxim DL, CCD Stack and one other I can’t remember or 2. Repair each frame with clone tool type operation in photoshop before stacking.

Found this on the pix insight fourm:

Yes, short exposures are the only option IMHO. Bloomings must be fixed through observational techniques. Any software deblooming tool works by guessing unavailable data, basically in the same way you would guess them using a clone stamp tool, but in an automatic way instead of manual. Although I agree that software solutions to bloomings can be useful, they are the worst way to deal with this problem. For this reason, we stopped some R+D lines that we had started in 2010 to create a deblooming tool in PixInsight; we decided to focus our (always scarce) resources on more important and priority topics, at least temporarily.

Think of bloomings as regions of your image where you don't have data. Then the optimal solution is to acquire the missing data and put them on place. Simple and clean. Take a look at these processing notes to see an example (jump to the Blooming Suppression section from the table of contents at the left):

http://pixinsight.com/examples/NGC6914-CAHA/en.html

In this case we were using a square CCD sensor. This has the advantage that we can just rotate the camera 90 degrees in the middle of the observing run. Since one half of the raw frames have bloomings oriented in the opposite direction, it it very easy to fix them with a simple mask and standard pixel rejection.

If your CCD is rectangular, then the option to square out your image is something that won't make you very happy, I guess (although it is an option). With a rectangular CCD you have to acquire a set of short exposures. Short enough to get rid of the bloomings, but as long as possible to increase SNR before the bloomings appear. Then the procedure is essentially the same as in the example above: build a mask to isolate the blooming areas and replace the bloomings selectively on your long exposures with data from the shorter exposures. The tools involved are ATrousWaveletTransform (mask generation), HistogramTransformation (clipping mask levels) and PixelMath (pixel replacement). Of course, this task must be carried out when the images are linear.

With these techniques you recover the bloomings with real data. Software deblooming tools have to invent the missing pixels by guessing them from neighbor areas, similar to a clone stamp. Yes, the replaced data have lower SNR, but this can be overcome well with noise reduction techniques and the same mask used for blooming replacement. A few small bloomings that may appear in the sort exposures for the brightest stars can normally be fixed manually with the CloneStamp tool because they are little and hence the manual guessing work isn't invasive. In any case, my personal opinion is that if a blooming cannot be removed without inventing nonexistent data to the point one feels uncomfortable, better leave the blooming as is.

Link if you R interested:

http://pixinsight.com/forum/index.php?topic=2891.0

Here is the 5th option I was checking out. I thought you Arizonies were the keepers of the Hyperstar Fastar systems. Starizona sells this package for a comparatively reasonable price. I thought this was their answer to the Hyperstar spikes. As a standalone it looks good. I bought it today to deal with my spiking issues.

http://starizona.com/acb/Anti-Blooming-Filter-Software-CD-ROM-P767C0.aspx

Best

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4995132 - 01/01/12 02:33 AM

After seeing questions posted regarding bad column removal and deblooming to fix spiking stars and other artifacts. I finaly had time to sit down and work with Deep Sky Stacker. It is hands down the best free option. I have seen Maxim, CCD Stack, and Starizona software listed as having functions to address these issues. I saw a post in another thread on bad column removal in DSS and began to check it out. Sure enough DSS has both bad column and debloom functions. The bad column removal is part of the dark subtraction routine for hot, cold pixels and bad column removal all lumped onto dark subtraction area.

Under the lights menu tab there is a check box for Debloom, for fixing spikes. I left my Canon selected as the camera.

Under the cosmetic tab I selected detect and clean hot pixel with the defaults selected. WOW! Worked like a charm! Unfortunately I have already purchased the Starizona debloomer. Ouch! Not Needed!

DSS eeked out more detail and fixed column and bloom. So there it is. Deep Sky Stacker wins again!

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4995151 - 01/01/12 03:17 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR IMAGERS!

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4995159 - 01/01/12 04:04 AM

BTW here is the example:

SKREEN PRNT by Sullij1, on Flickr

Yuh, it bloated cuz of my processing but the job got done. Nebulosity on the left and DSS on the right.

poita

Reged: 07/25/11

#5003924 - 01/06/12 09:18 AM

If anyone wants to sell their camera, or knows where I can pick one up, drop me a line! I'm very keen to get one up and running.

seryddwr
Innocent Bystander

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: poita]
      #5004240 - 01/06/12 01:08 PM

Hey guys, I tested my camera, using my sister's computer, and it works!

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#5004388 - 01/06/12 02:58 PM

There should be enough knowledge here to get you going. Glad it is working out.

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38134

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics