Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
gnabgib
sage

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #4636429 - 06/13/11 12:31 AM

Keith;
Just to clarify you stated the camera shutter circuit will drive this shutter? Also could you please provide a few dimensions of this shutter, the Surplus Shed site gives dimensions mounted on a plate! This looks promising.

Kevin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gnabgib
sage

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: gnabgib]
      #4636432 - 06/13/11 12:37 AM

I have been operating this camera using a T30 thinkpad attached to a docking unit that has a half length PCI slot.
So far this has proven to be fairly robust with no issues.
Image download times are 8 seconds using 1x1 binning. Running Windows XP.

Kevin

shurik

Reged: 10/07/07

#4636541 - 06/13/11 03:53 AM

Kevin can you please post a picture of how does PCI card fit into that slot of your thinkpad, this might be by far the easiest solution, there are plenty of docking stations on ebay that have this slot, I thought was not going to work , but apparently I am glad I was wrong )

gnabgib
sage

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: shurik]
      #4637069 - 06/13/11 01:35 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

Quote:

Kevin can you please post a picture of how does PCI card fit into that slot of your thinkpad, this might be by far the easiest solution, there are plenty of docking stations on ebay that have this slot, I thought was not going to work , but apparently I am glad I was wrong )

Here are a few picts of my thinkpad setup. Hope they help.

Kevin

gnabgib
sage

#4637072 - 06/13/11 01:36 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

Dock 2

gnabgib
sage

#4637075 - 06/13/11 01:37 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

Quantix card installed in dock

gnabgib
sage

#4637076 - 06/13/11 01:39 PM Attachment (37 downloads)

MY dock's specs. Make sure of your own laptops spec as there are quite a few versions of docking stations available for our different laptops!

macona

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
      #4637206 - 06/13/11 03:25 PM

The docking station may be the way to go price wise. A t30 laptop sells for something like $150 on ebay. I do have a Dell PIII lappie at home. I think I saw the docking station for it on craiglist for about $40. That ought to do it and the screen on the dell is real nice and high res.

shurik

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: macona]
      #4637815 - 06/13/11 11:35 PM

I think Dock station/resurrected laptop will be the way to go , but I also found this

http://www.arstech.com/item--ssi2_pci.html

they customer support s***ks (they want money if you wish to discuss this product or anything on the phone), but it could be the way to go too...need comp geek to look at these components if it makes sense..

macona

#4637832 - 06/13/11 11:47 PM

I forgot all about the arstech cards. I have a couple of the ISA versions at work from the last film. Dont know what they were trying to do with them.

The PCI ought to work, but I think they will be pretty darn slow. For the price of that I can pick up a Thinkpad T43 and docking station.

I got the Ilex shutter in today. Very nice and compact. But will not trigger off the internal connector. I think the high voltage pulse decays too fast for it to open. Odd since the Uniblitz specs a 70v pulse and hold at 5v.

But I can make it work, I believe. I can use the internal shutter driver to trigger a small circuit that will drive the Ilex shutter. The shutter has two micro switches inside it that activate when the shutter opens. It seems the shutter needs at least 24v to open and ~5v to hold. I can use the switches to change the voltage level once it is open. I will need a 24v source to operate it, I can get that though a DC/DC converter.

The hole pattern is very odd. I will have to transfer and measure.

shurik

#4637864 - 06/14/11 12:10 AM

"The PCI ought to work, but I think they will be pretty darn slow."

Why is that ? , I thought USB2.0 should be plenty , we are not doing any fast frame high resolution video transfer... am I missing it ?

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
      #4637876 - 06/14/11 12:15 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

Finished most of the shutter install tonight, still need to tweak a couple of things and it needs a light shield - but it works...Kevin, in response to your question the shutter operates directly from the camera, no interface circuit needed. When I get a chance I'll supply some dimensions, sorry its kind of late right now...

So here it is with the solenoid and linkage mounted on the flange:

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4637880 - 06/14/11 12:16 AM Attachment (44 downloads)

And here it is on the camera.

Edited by kw6562 (06/14/11 12:17 AM)

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4637902 - 06/14/11 12:29 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

And with the shutter open. Note that I had to sacrifice one of the screws for the solenoid, but I think three should be adequate. To be honest this is kind of a hack, although it does seem to work well. Normally I would plan things out better, but this was one of those "design-as-you-go" projects. If I were going to do this right, I would design a new flange that could accommodate the shutter without too much modification. But I can't wait to start using it!

Also tried out a 10m SCSI cable that I ordered through E-bay, no problems. Got lazy and decided not to incorporate a filter slide as I originally intended; bought a manual wheel and a 2" LRGB set instead. So a little bit more work and it should be ready to go. Clear skies --Keith

macona

#4637963 - 06/14/11 01:14 AM

Changing from one interface to another will develop latency. If the card needs direct memory access it will slow down. USB2 is 480Megabit/sec or 60Megabytes/sec, though I have never seen past 40. PCI is at the very least double that and often quadruple that.

That card is more money than I am willing to risk for a maybe. By the time you have the card+power supply+enclosure you are double an old laptop and on par with a mini-itx.

gnabgib
sage

#4639110 - 06/14/11 06:32 PM

Quote:

I forgot all about the arstech cards. I have a couple of the ISA versions at work from the last film. Dont know what they were trying to do with them.

The PCI ought to work, but I think they will be pretty darn slow. For the price of that I can pick up a Thinkpad T43 and docking station.

I got the Ilex shutter in today. Very nice and compact. But will not trigger off the internal connector. I think the high voltage pulse decays too fast for it to open. Odd since the Uniblitz specs a 70v pulse and hold at 5v.

But I can make it work, I believe. I can use the internal shutter driver to trigger a small circuit that will drive the Ilex shutter. The shutter has two micro switches inside it that activate when the shutter opens. It seems the shutter needs at least 24v to open and ~5v to hold. I can use the switches to change the voltage level once it is open. I will need a 24v source to operate it, I can get that though a DC/DC converter.

The hole pattern is very odd. I will have to transfer and measure.

Macona;
I have been playing with one of the Ilex shutters. I have installed a 7805 voltage regulator across one of the mico switches to provide the 5vdc "hold" voltage. I also put a 22mfd tant cap across the coil to smooth out the transition. In the camera I have a 5vdc relay switched by the shutter circuit (to "pulse" is to short to harm relay) to control the Ilex shutter. If you look at the large resistor next to the big cap (technical I know) it has 24vdc coming straight from power supply. (pins 11 and 12 on connector) This operates shutter quite well! The shutter use about 50 milliamps current to hold open and about 200 milliamps at 24v to fire. I just ordered one of the "other" shutters to see how well it might work. The seller on EBAY has "quite a few" available. By the way if you do not reduce the voltage the shutter trigger coil gets pretty hot after only a few minutes. At 5v hold it never warms up.

.02 worth
Kevin

macona

#4639270 - 06/14/11 08:21 PM

I am finding that the shutter opens much better with a 48v pulse, its kind of sluggish at 24v. I have found a little 5 to 12v input dc/dc power supply that is small enough to install in the shutter itself. It has a -24/24v output. Putting 330uf caps across the rails gives enough of a kick to open the shutter. Then 5v will hold it open.

macona

#4639339 - 06/14/11 08:58 PM

Oh yeah, be sure to put a diode across the coil as well. Otherwise the back emf from the solenoid can kill the cap and you sure dont want that pulse getting back in to the camera circuitry.

macona

#4640392 - 06/15/11 01:56 PM

I sent a message to Craig over at Stark Labs about getting PVCAM support in Nebulosity. He says he needs a loaner camera to program with. So I put a bid on one of the lower res quantix cameras on ebay.

macona

#4641273 - 06/15/11 11:55 PM

I ordered a little 3 watt DC/DC converter. It gives me 24, 48,and 72volts out with 5v in. Small enough to fit in the empty space of the shutter housing. I will use this to charge a capacitor which will give the initial drive pulse, then like Kevin, I will use 5 v to hold it open triggered with one of the microswitches. I plan on tapping off the 5v line feeding the fan. Basically make a Y splitter with the same molex connectors. I have a bunch left over from building my laser cutter. This will allow me to not modify the circuit board. The dc/dc converter is about $15.

Just got back from picking up a Thinkpad T43 off Craigslist. 1.86Ghz, 1G ram, 80G hard drive, bluetooth, wifi, 1400x1050 screen, $120. A dock is about $25 shipped off ebay.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38066

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics