Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Reged: 06/25/08

Loc: MA
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: macona]
      #4643185 - 06/16/11 11:52 PM Attachment (53 downloads)

I mounted the camera with shutter and filter wheel onto my main setup tonight. It was a frustrating start, as I was having issues with my guide camera and also with the Quantix - but the problems have been resolved and I am breathing easier. The main problem with the Quantix seems to be related to this ancient PC that I'm using - I had to disconnect the network to talk to the camera, but I didn't have to remove the network card itself. Weird. But now all seems okay, and I was also able to get the guider working (totally unrelated to the Quantix). Its partly cloudy and a full moon so I'm not trying anything too aggressive, just wanted to see if everything could be balanced and especially wanted to find out if the Moonlite focuser could handle the filter wheel and camera. So far so good, I was able to balance it and guiding looks good (except when clouds come in) and the focuser seems to be able to handle the load. Trying a few minutes of Ha of the Crescent but I don't expect too much for this trial run. This is what the setup looks like with the camera mounted. --Keith

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
macona

Reged: 05/18/11

Loc: Beaverton, OR
Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: kw6562]
      #4643242 - 06/17/11 12:41 AM

Looks good. My Moonlight focuser shipped today. The owner seems like a real nice guy. I just got the manual version. I might modify it later for powered focus, I have a very nice micromo swiss made motor that would be perfect.

Are you using computer controlled focus?

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4643270 - 06/17/11 01:08 AM

Yes, I have a DC motor and Shoestring FCUSB. I also built a position indicator for it with a dial indicator and an Arduino for a USB interface. And you're right, they are very helpful (and the anodized finish is really nice). --Keith

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4643323 - 06/17/11 02:04 AM Attachment (45 downloads)

This is 12X100s at gain=3 Ha. I'm learning a bit about processing the files - for one thing, I'm using ImageJ to break the tifs into individual files and maintain them as 16-bit. Poor night due to clouds and moon, and I probably wasn't focused well, also no flats taken. But its a start...--Keith

Edited by kw6562 (06/17/11 02:05 AM)

macona

#4644053 - 06/17/11 01:09 PM

What are you using for a color wheel?

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4644798 - 06/17/11 09:14 PM

Orion manual 4 x 2" and LRGB filters. Right now I have a Ha in place of the red. --Keith

macona

#4644804 - 06/17/11 09:19 PM

Looks like I am buying one of the Optec IFW sets with the LRGB filter sets.

The seller with the Ilex shutters has posted more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200620790705&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/08/08

#4645034 - 06/17/11 11:33 PM

IMPRESSED, Good work Keith, I too was thinking about a safety catch for the cam. "Smart" don't want that thing hitting the ground. Been working on circuit tests and talking to engineers at the co I work at (we build science stuff). Will post some data later ( working on it ). I am working on a solution similar to yours for the Ilex shutter ( linear actuater that works at 6 volts, no circuit mods). BTW did the actuater ( shutter selinoid ) work as planned with the software?

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: sullij1]
      #4645545 - 06/18/11 09:58 AM

Thanks Sullij - Yeah, I was kind of paranoid about the camera/filter wheel slipping out of the focuser and hitting the ground, so I put a safety chain on one of the 1/4-20 mounting holes on the camera body and connected it to the carrying handle on the SCT. That's the only place in the optical train that is not a threaded connection. I've never had a problem with it but I didn't want to take chances.

I lucked out with the shutter - the solenoid is 24V and holds at 4V so it didn't require any interface circuit. The camera driver circuit can supply enough current to operate it and there is a protection diode across the connector so I only had to hook it up. My big issues, as you may recall from my earlier posts, were mechanical - there were several modifications needed to get the shutter to fit in the flange and operate correctly. But it works well and the software runs it without problems.

I hope no one minds me doing this, but I want to caution everyone who might open up the camera to take precautions regarding ESD (electrostatic discharge). The CCD and many of the other components in the camera are very sensitive to static and even though it is summertime and usually humid one should be careful. The CCD is a Class 0 device which means that the damage threshold is <250V, which is not very high and some pins, such as the reset gate, are a lot lower. At least wear a grounded wrist strap, and use a grounded dissipative mat if possible. If you use a soldering iron make sure that the tip is grounded. For the shutter pins I'm sure there isn't a problem, but when working on a device that contains sensitive components it is "best practice" to act as if everything is at the lowest class in the device.

Sorry, when working on flight components we are positively religious about ESD mitigation so I felt the need to pontificate...

--Keith

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4646745 - 06/18/11 11:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks Sullij - Yeah, I was kind of paranoid about the camera/filter wheel slipping out of the focuser and hitting the ground, so I put a safety chain on one of the 1/4-20 mounting holes on the camera body and connected it to the carrying handle on the SCT. That's the only place in the optical train that is not a threaded connection. I've never had a problem with it but I didn't want to take chances.

I lucked out with the shutter - the solenoid is 24V and holds at 4V so it didn't require any interface circuit. The camera driver circuit can supply enough current to operate it and there is a protection diode across the connector so I only had to hook it up. My big issues, as you may recall from my earlier posts, were mechanical - there were several modifications needed to get the shutter to fit in the flange and operate correctly. But it works well and the software runs it without problems.

I hope no one minds me doing this, but I want to caution everyone who might open up the camera to take precautions regarding ESD (electrostatic discharge). The CCD and many of the other components in the camera are very sensitive to static and even though it is summertime and usually humid one should be careful. The CCD is a Class 0 device which means that the damage threshold is <250V, which is not very high and some pins, such as the reset gate, are a lot lower. At least wear a grounded wrist strap, and use a grounded dissipative mat if possible. If you use a soldering iron make sure that the tip is grounded. For the shutter pins I'm sure there isn't a problem, but when working on a device that contains sensitive components it is "best practice" to act as if everything is at the lowest class in the device.

Sorry, when working on flight components we are positively religious about ESD mitigation so I felt the need to pontificate...

--Keith

Keith can you show us a pic of how you have the black and red leads connected on the camera circuit board. I must not be connecting my shutter to the right connections.

kw6562
Authoritative Ignoramus

#4646783 - 06/18/11 11:33 PM

I'm sorry, I don't have a pic of that but I'll take one when I take the camera off the scope tonight. But Kevin has a pic on page 1 of this thread. --Keith

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4646791 - 06/18/11 11:40 PM

Hi,

I saw Kevins pic but he is not tapped in on the curcuit in the photo. Thanks for the prompt reply!

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4646795 - 06/18/11 11:43 PM

Not certian but I think Kevin is still wresetling with the circuit too.

gnabgib
sage

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
      #4647409 - 06/19/11 12:31 PM

Quote:

Not certian but I think Kevin is still wresetling with the circuit too.

Not anymore! I have decided to use the same shutter as in Keith's camera. It works directly off the camera using the connector indicated in my first pict of the cameras insides. Although a bit bigger then originally planned this shutter is solidly built! I will post a photo in the next day or so to show what my setup has become. Just need to borrow a camera (no pun intended). I am away from home so at mercy of friends.

Kevin

By the way "Nice photo Keith!!"

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: gnabgib]
      #4647439 - 06/19/11 12:54 PM

Ok, Just picked up the shutter off ebay. I went back and saw the photo the Keith was refering to where Kevin "is" tapped in to the same pin out I have been using.( must of used his reference) Prior to using this pin set, I measured the current with my multi meter and get only a steady ~6.5 volt signal when the shutter is activated. What might I be doing wrong?

macona

#4647447 - 06/19/11 01:00 PM

You need to have a load on the connector to get an accurate reading.

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4647448 - 06/19/11 01:01 PM

BTW, Happy Fathers Day to all it applies to!

Clear Skies

sullij1
Pooh-Bah

#4647454 - 06/19/11 01:03 PM

Quote:

Thanks Jerry. That helps.

gnabgib
sage

Reged: 06/05/05

Loc: Fall River MIlls Ca.
      #4647682 - 06/19/11 03:41 PM

Quote:

Also keep in mind the "higher voltage pulse" used to open the shutter is fairly short in duration!

macona

Re: QUANTIX HELP......... new [Re: gnabgib]
      #4647841 - 06/19/11 05:56 PM

A scope would be the ideal thing to measure the pulse.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 38208

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics