Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
JakeSaloranta
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Finlandia
Naked eye Neptune and minor planets
      #4693448 - 07/15/11 07:40 AM

I was wondering if anyone has or knows of reports of seeing Neptune with the naked eye? Neptune would be a great challenge at least from southern locations where it is very high in the sky. Maybe one of our Australian members knows of possible sightings...?

I would also be very interested in hearing your reports of naked eye sightings of the brighter minor planets (excluding Vesta). For many years, I've had a little project going on related to both of these, although never having actually tried spotting Neptune, yet.

/Jake

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HellsKitchen
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/05/08

Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: Naked eye Neptune and minor planets new [Re: JakeSaloranta]
      #4693572 - 07/15/11 09:52 AM

At magnitude 7.8, I would be seriously skeptical of any naked eye sightings of Neptune.

JakeSaloranta
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/18/08

Loc: Finlandia
Re: Naked eye Neptune and minor planets new [Re: HellsKitchen]
      #4693883 - 07/15/11 12:36 PM

Quote:

At magnitude 7.8, I would be seriously skeptical of any naked eye sightings of Neptune.

Sceptical is good but by no means is 7.8 impossible to achieve.

I personally know several observers who can zero in on the 8th magnitude naked eye "barrier" with a good eye sight under optimal skies. If memory serves, two great observers and friends of mine visited Western Australia few years back and could both independently see as faint as 7.8 when SQM readings were ~22.0. I think the story was on Webb Society's latest magazine called "Deep Sky in Seventh Heaven".

/Jake

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Naked eye Neptune and minor planets new [Re: JakeSaloranta]
      #4694011 - 07/15/11 01:40 PM

Quote:

I was wondering if anyone has or knows of reports of seeing Neptune with the naked eye? Neptune would be a great challenge at least from southern locations where it is very high in the sky. Maybe one of our Australian members knows of possible sightings...?

I would also be very interested in hearing your reports of naked eye sightings of the brighter minor planets (excluding Vesta). For many years, I've had a little project going on related to both of these, although never having actually tried spotting Neptune, yet.

/Jake

There are some people who, under very dark pristine skies, have seen stars as faint as 8.1, although this is rare. The faintest I have gone in recent years is about 7.6 (barely, and only at the site of the Nebraska Star Party), so Neptune is out for me. I have seen both Uranus and Vesta with my unaided eye however. Clear skies to you.

Ekyprotic

Reged: 11/28/12

Re: Naked eye Neptune and minor planets new [Re: David Knisely]
      #6000991 - 08/01/13 04:31 AM

I've been wondering the answer to the naked eye Neptune question myself- in the Light Pollution forum, it's been reported some people can consistently see down to Mag 8.5 (especially at high elevations like the Andes.)

Ekyprotic

Reged: 11/28/12

Re: Naked eye Neptune and minor planets new [Re: Ekyprotic]
      #6000994 - 08/01/13 04:35 AM

Found this from 1999 about a guy who could see down to Mag 8.5

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/amastro/message/898

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1568

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics