Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Venus Transit 2012
      #4740431 - 08/10/11 12:49 PM

I was wondering if anyone had looked at traveling to a favorable location for observing?

Anyone looked at getting a solar scope or solar filter for their scope?

Has anyone considered any locations for travel to, granted most of the USA is going to be able to see it the event, but some places have more favorable weather.

Has anyone looked for any specific outreach events, or are planning on doing any?

I have been surfing the net while I consider staying close to home and chancing it with the weather while buying a solar scope VS traveling to a major observatory or center who would have a scope(s) already set up. Getting my own scope would be nice, but when I had my previous Lunt scope I really didn't use it that much, so I have a harder time justifying the cost. However they have brought out the smaller scope since I had my scope.

Thoughts anyone?

(The transit occurs on June 5–June 6 in 2012 depending on where on the globe you are.)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #4740523 - 08/10/11 02:02 PM

Since it is a late afternoon event I am sure many local clubs will do public outreach viewings.

Also, given the fairly perpetual backorder status for many solar scopes and the likely uptick in demand for them as this event approaches, I would bet that anyone who waits until spring to try to get a solar scope will be sorely disappointed.

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #4740572 - 08/10/11 02:43 PM

Early morning for me - but I'm going out to Cyprus as that adds an hour to the period I can observe and the clear sky stats are favourable at 90%!

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: Tonk]
      #4740839 - 08/10/11 05:26 PM

I will probably travel to clear skies as long as it isn't over about 4 hours. To determine that, I will make a decision about a couple days to a week before the transit.

RenoNV

Reged: 12/01/10

Loc: South South Reno
      #4740852 - 08/10/11 05:32 PM

The "favorable" location for viewing the entire transit appears to be out in the Pacific between Wake and Saipan. Most of the US West Coast will settle for late afternoon til sunset. You can just barely see Venus against the sun with eclipse sunglasses, as I learned the other week (big sunspot groups are visible to the naked eye). The local groups are talking about outreach and broadcast now, I might be able to do something from the location I am planning.

I watched the last transit via WWW and the best thing I did was watch real-time from two widely distant locations. It was very clear that Venus appeared differently and that trigonometry would indeed size the Solar System.

rfic1
sage

Reged: 10/25/05

Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: RenoNV]
      #4740934 - 08/10/11 06:18 PM

I'm actually glad some of the transit will be visable at sunset. The last was a early morning transit. The morning sky was hazy and you were able to look at dim rising orange colored sun without optical aid just like a summer sunset. I remember seeing the black dot on the surface giving you a unique perspective. That was more memorable than viewing the disc on the sun through my scope.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: rfic1]
      #4745332 - 08/13/11 02:51 AM

I got a full aperture solar filter from Orion for my 120mm achro, and I hope to tape the entire event (or as much as I can) for posterity using my Meade Electronic Eyepiece (a wonderful little device!)
I also got a PST recently so I can watch the event from various vantage points in my yard. (Those PST's are really great!)
So, I've done about as much as I can to try and capture it. The only problem will be the weather - it's usually about 115 degrees that time of year.

Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Venus Transit Preview Graphics new [Re: RenoNV]
      #4752085 - 08/16/11 08:55 PM

I’ve created preview graphics of the transit as seen from sixteen cities. The views are in horizontal (alt-az) coordinates with zenith continually toward to top, which explains the seemingly curved paths of Venus across the solar disk. They can be seen at www.CurtRenz.com/venustransit . I may add more cities, if I get a significant number of requests.

blb
Post Laureate

Re: Venus Transit Preview Graphics new [Re: Centaur]
      #4752139 - 08/16/11 09:40 PM

Wow, nothing in the South or Southeastern USA. Not Atlanta, Charlotte, Norfolk, Nashville or New Orleans. I guess this part of the country is does not exist to those from chicago.

You really do good work and I appreciate what you do but I really do feel slighted on this one.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #4752148 - 08/16/11 09:48 PM

Curt:

Thanks.. Looks like it will be decent from San Diego...

Jon

Centaur
Vendor

Re: Venus Transit Preview Graphics new [Re: blb]
      #4752150 - 08/16/11 09:50 PM

Quote:

Wow, nothing in the South or Southeastern USA. Not Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Norfolk, Washington, Nashville or New Orleans. I guess this part of the country is unimportant to those from chicago.

Apparently you forgot to put on your eyeglasses. Miami and Washington are on the list, Houston too. Chicago is the only Midwestern city. You also seem to have overlooked my offer to accept suggested locations. Since you want to be nasty about it, I’ll let you do the work creating graphics for other cities. Too bad the secession attempt was unsuccessful.

Centaur
Vendor

Re: Venus Transit Preview Graphics new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #4752172 - 08/16/11 10:01 PM

Quote:

Curt:

Jon

You’re welcome, Jon; thank you for your understanding response. Indeed, the Los Angeles graphic should do fairly well for you. If I get more requests for San Diego, I may add it.

idealistic
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/31/10

Loc: massachusetts
      #4752225 - 08/16/11 10:33 PM

Quote:

Too bad the secession attempt was unsuccessful.

Thats classic.

blb
Post Laureate

#4752351 - 08/16/11 11:31 PM

Quote:

Wow, nothing in the South or Southeastern USA. Not Atlanta, Charlotte, Norfolk, Nashville or New Orleans. I guess this part of the country is does not exist to those from chicago.

You really do good work and I appreciate what you do but I really do feel slighted on this one.

Curt,
You should have quoted the whole post. I said that you do great work and I appreciate what you do. Sorry you got upset. I just felt slighted and said it, that's all, nothing more.

Edited by blb (08/16/11 11:33 PM)

Centaur
Vendor

#4752376 - 08/16/11 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Curt,
You should have quoted the whole post. I said that you do great work and I appreciate what you do. Sorry you got upset. I just felt slighted and said it, that's all, nothing more.

Apparently you edited in your final sentence and edited out two cities in your first reply to me. Among the sixteen cities in my list, only nine are in the contiguous 48 states. Only one is in the northeastern US and only one is in the Midwest. Two are in the Rocky Mountain region and two are on the Pacific coast. The two (or three if we count Washington) in the South seems to leave that region fairly represented. When choosing them I considered wide dispersal that would allow for interpolation by those residing in between. I also stated that I was accepting suggestions. There probably will be quite a few between now and June. My brother and his family live in North Carolina. I figured I would eventually hear from him and add his city. Here in the Midwest we do not look gift horses in the mouth.

blb
Post Laureate

#4752380 - 08/16/11 11:52 PM

Perhaps I should have looked at your charts before I spoke. There isn't that much difference between Washington and Miami. So let me apologize for speaking out to quickly.

I still think you do a good job. Thanks for the hard work that I know you do not have to do.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #4752393 - 08/16/11 11:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Curt:

Jon

You’re welcome, Jon; thank you for your understanding response. Indeed, the Los Angeles graphic should do fairly well for you. If I get more requests for San Diego, I may add it.

Curt:

I looked at the LA graphic and the SF graphic and there wasn't a huge difference so I figured 100 miles wasn't a big deal...

Besides, if I get too picky I might just upset the Cloud Gods and we all know what that means.

Jon

Centaur
Vendor

#4752400 - 08/17/11 12:00 AM

Quote:

Perhaps I should have looked at your charts before I spoke. There isn't that much difference between Washington and Miami. So let me apologize for speaking out to quickly.

I still think you do a good job. Thanks for the hard work that I know you do not have to do.

Okay, all is forgiven. My godparents live in Alabama (godfather born there) so I know southerners can be quite hospitable.

Tommy5
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/04

Loc: Chicagoland
      #4753406 - 08/17/11 03:12 PM

Thanks Curt let's hope for good weather, i remember seeing the transit in the morning a few years ago, being 2 for 2 for transits in chicago weather wiil almost make up for 103 years of no Cubs world series victory.

Centaur
Vendor

Re: Venus Transit Preview Graphics new [Re: Tommy5]
      #4753445 - 08/17/11 03:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks Curt let's hope for good weather, i remember seeing the transit in the morning a few years ago, being 2 for 2 for transits in chicago weather wiil almost make up for 103 years of no Cubs world series victory.

You’re welcome, Tommy. Indeed, the weather was fine here for the morning of the transit in 2004. Let's hope for a repeat in 2012. I’m watching the Cub game right now as they blow a lead. They certainly will go at least 104 years before they can win a World Series championship. At least the White Sox grabbed one six years ago. Maybe we shouldn’t talk about that, or somebody will somehow find a way to blame us Chicagolanders for there being no MLB teams in the Carolinas.

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
      #4757725 - 08/19/11 09:09 PM

Hopefully it'll be clear here in Tomahawk.

The Sky Tools 3 simulation shows it beginning at 5:08pm and lasting past sunset. Thankfully there won't be a need to set the alarm clock this time (i have a bad allergy to those things ). Last time, the clouds at sunrise only allowed a 10 minute view but hey, at least i got to see it.

PJ Anway
Double-Star Observer

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: North Coast
      #4761031 - 08/21/11 06:28 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

Curt,

I used SkyTools 3 to make a transit path for my local (46°23', 86°40'). It does't seem to have the "hook" that yours have. Not sure why the difference?

Centaur
Vendor

Re: Venus Transit Preview Graphics new [Re: PJ Anway]
      #4761370 - 08/21/11 10:20 PM

Quote:

Curt,

I used SkyTools 3 to make a transit path for my local (46°23', 86°40'). It does't seem to have the "hook" that yours have. Not sure why the difference?

There’s nothing wrong with your image, PJ. It appears to be formatted in equatorial coordinates, i.e. celestial north is toward the top. Please reread my first post in this thread for a description of the coordinates that I utilized. The Earth’s rotation produces the curved hook.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

#4836588 - 09/30/11 07:26 PM

Well I just thought I would give this a quick bump... I have been looking for a scope to travel with. I am really considering the AT72 with the Voyager mount. Anyone else been thinking about a solar filter or anything. I really want to get this scope ordered once I get my Christmas bonus... I am just concerned there will be a dash for filters as the transit draws near.

BrentAbba

Reged: 06/03/05

Loc: FL
      #4871222 - 10/20/11 03:17 PM

Can I put in a request for someplace like Vancouver or Seattle? Or how would I interpolate from Anchorage?

Brent

Centaur
Vendor

Re: Venus Transit Preview Graphics new [Re: BrentAbba]
      #4871291 - 10/20/11 03:49 PM

Quote:

Can I put in a request for someplace like Vancouver or Seattle? Or how would I interpolate from Anchorage?

Hmmm, Brent, your location is listed as Florida. Averaging the Anchorage and San Francisco illustrations and timings should be sufficient for observers in Vancouver or Seattle. However, if I get a large number of requests for those or other cities, I’ll add them well before June.

HfxObserver
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/04

Loc: Regina, SK, Canada
      #4872033 - 10/21/11 02:00 AM

Seattle, Vancouver, Anchorage, aren't these places known for cloud,rain fog?

I had thought about moderate travel but I'm going to stay here, central Canadian Prairies as we have clear sky most of the time, if we do get cloud I should be able to drive out from under them.

-Chris

kcolter
sage

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: Venus Transit Preview Graphics new [Re: HfxObserver]
      #4875739 - 10/23/11 11:57 AM

Can anyone weigh in with advice on observing the transit from high altitude in Hawaii versus observing it from northern Australia in the areas said to have very low risk of cloud cover? The sun will be higher in the sky if viewed from Hawaii. Can one count on being above the clouds up on Mauna Kea? If one leaves out the expense and time involved, what's the best place to be for this last in our lifetime event? Thanks.

hottr6
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/28/09

Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM
      #4877981 - 10/24/11 04:22 PM

Terrific, thank you!

It should be good from New Mexico, and the weather will be terrific as the event is 1 month ahead of the monsoons.

AlaskaIsCold

Reged: 11/16/11

Loc: San Diego, CA
      #4925917 - 11/20/11 11:25 AM

I don't suppose you could make a chart for Anchorage, AK ?

Edit: Oppse, I didnt see that you already had.

Edited by AlaskaIsCold (11/20/11 11:28 AM)

cpsTN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/26/07

Loc: Rutherford Co, TN
      #4926111 - 11/20/11 12:53 PM

There IS Raleigh, NC! I live just SE of Nashville, TN and I am just gauging it buy Raleigh and Miami. Instead of complaining, I decided to use my brain.

Centaur
Vendor

Re: Venus Transit Preview Graphics new [Re: cpsTN]
      #4928649 - 11/21/11 09:53 PM

Quote:

There IS Raleigh, NC! I live just SE of Nashville, TN and I am just gauging it buy Raleigh and Miami. Instead of complaining, I decided to use my brain.

Well for being such a gracious southern gentleman, Charles, I’ve created a transit preview graphic for Nashville: www.CurtRenz.com/venustransit . My Raleigh chart was only recently added at the request of my brother who lives there.

Compressorguy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/14/09

Loc: Clayton, NC
      #4933818 - 11/25/11 06:46 AM

Curt, I live in Raleigh as well and just checked your link. Thank you so much for your efforts and sharing of this information. I've got my blackberry calendar marked!!!

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
      #4937691 - 11/27/11 04:53 PM

Thank You. !

RolandosCY

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus
      #4948747 - 12/03/11 09:08 PM

Quote:

Early morning for me - but I'm going out to Cyprus as that adds an hour to the period I can observe and the clear sky stats are favourable at 90%!

Give us a shout when you are set to arrive, we (Cyprus Astronomical Society) have just started to organize the observing get-together for the transit...

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: RolandosCY]
      #4950407 - 12/04/11 09:22 PM

Iam really looking forward to this........have been for a wile now

Freddy WILLEMS
Postmaster

Reged: 11/13/05

Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu
Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: MessiToM]
      #4950448 - 12/04/11 09:59 PM

Everybody is always welcome at my place in Hawaii, Waipahu...
Have a big roof and lots of telescopes, 3 mounts, 3 reflectors and 3 refractors and a DFK21/DBK618 and DMK618 with filters and regular solar filter for the Meade or C14 but so far no Solar scope will get one by then (H alpha)...

skypilgrim
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/25/06

Loc: PNW, US
Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: MessiToM]
      #4954054 - 12/06/11 09:58 PM

Quote:

Iam really looking forward to this........have been for a wile now

Me too! Last chance for our generation... even my daughter probably won't make the next one. Hoping to take the whole family to the west coast for this.
Sam

Tonk
Postmaster

Reged: 08/19/04

Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N
Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: skypilgrim]
      #4957019 - 12/08/11 03:53 PM

The oddest place to watch this is either north Iceland or north Norway. In the first the transit starts before sunset and is still going at sunrise. In norway you can watch the whole transit as the midnight sun skims 2 degrees over the northern horizon

The catch - clears skies are not very likey

I'm going to Cyprus again where I watched the whole transit in 2004. This time we get the last 2 hours after sunrise. Here there is a 90% chance of clear skies

Just as a reminder - this was 7.5 years ago ... a composite with Venus at 90 minute intervals taken through my then brand new Coronado 60mm H-alpha filter - Paphos Cyprus

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

#4957501 - 12/08/11 10:02 PM

Tonk,
That picture is awesome!

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #4964057 - 12/13/11 04:02 AM

I am excited for this also. I am currently thinking of going to Denver to visit my son and see this as my odds of cloud cooperation is better there than in Michigan. gl guys!

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #4964750 - 12/13/11 01:56 PM

Well I picked up a Thousand Oaks filter, now I got to figure out travel plans. I plan on driving to the best location within 36hrs of Birmingham, AL. I hope I don't have to drive too far.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #4965433 - 12/13/11 10:17 PM

This is sounding like the Transit expeditions of the 18th/19th century! Everyone packing their gear and setting sail to a good observing location.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Re: Venus Transit 2012 new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #4965855 - 12/14/11 09:12 AM

Quote:

This is sounding like the Transit expeditions of the 18th/19th century! Everyone packing their gear and setting sail to a good observing location.

Rick,

For me I am hopeful that McDonald Observatory will be the best. I am sure they will be doing a public star party for the event and they have that Astronomers Inn. I was hopeful if I volunteered for the outreach that they might let me stay at the Inn at $80/night including meals, that is a pretty good deal for hotel/motels/somewhere to crash!

I asked on the Kitt Peak Observatory page on Facebook and they plan on doing an event too. So that is an option and I have never been to Kitt Peak.

Only downer about this trip is I am traveling to places that will probably have dark skies... but the Moon is near full that week of June

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6014

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics