Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: budman1961]
      #5060395 - 02/07/12 01:42 PM

Quote:

OK Uncle Rod......you are an SCT expert....Meade sent you one a few months back to beta test, didnt they!

KIDDING!

But they are free to...as if I could lift the derned thing.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jared
Postmaster

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Starhawk]
      #5060438 - 02/07/12 02:01 PM

Quote:

Seriously, if that guy is the most skilled astrophotographer working at Meade, that would explain a lot. And it would indicate caveat emptor would be the best review for this mount, because the manufacturer isn't equipped to judge success.

-Rich

I wouldn't read too much into it. You can understand what it takes to make a mount track accurately without being a Photoshop/DSS expert. I'd love to see some raw frames, but don't expect to until the mount is in the hands of real users. Still think they did themselves a disservice by not waiting till they had better results to publish, but that's just a marketing decision.

Micheal
sage

Reged: 02/28/10

Loc: Corona, CA
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Jared]
      #5061508 - 02/08/12 02:43 AM

One of the advantages of the LX800 is supposed to be its built in polar alignment routine where it actually does a drift alignment and tells you which knobs to turn etc. So any errors in a photograph that could be attributed to poor drift alignment doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the product.

Jared
Postmaster

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Micheal]
      #5062467 - 02/08/12 03:34 PM

Good point. Hard to know for certain that it's a polar alignment issue, though. That was my guess based on the appearance of stars across the field, but it's a relatively small image.

Don't want to come across as a Meade apologist; I just know how hard it is to get good data (even with high-end equipment), and how much harder yet it is to produce a good image from those data. As I said in an earlier post, the bar is pretty high these days. Everyone is going to want to know whether the LX800 with a large ACF scope can produce 2" FWHM stars in a multi-minute sub exposure across a moderately large field of view. That requires good polar alignment, good balance, smooth tracking, accurate guiding, near-zero image shift, above average seeing, the right choice of subject (high enough altitude), full acclimation (cooling), good quality optics, near-perfect collimation, little or no wind, an appropriate field flattener, proper spacing of all components, a camera that is mounted perfectly squarely to the optical axis, and an operator who knows how to get the most out of the various components. If they are still in beta, I'm not surprised if all these requirements have yet to be met in a single imaging session.

Micheal
sage

Reged: 02/28/10

Loc: Corona, CA
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Jared]
      #5063803 - 02/09/12 01:06 PM

I actually pre-ordered the 14" ACF with the F/5 reducer back at PATS last year. I ordered it through Woodland Hills and I asked Jon to take it home and put it through the ringer before I take delivery. I figure if it is all lies and BS I'll just have them keep sending it back.

I wish you were closer. I'd invite you to come on over and put it through its paces*.

*IF it ever ships.

JSnuff1
sage

Reged: 12/29/04

Loc: NY
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Micheal]
      #5064009 - 02/09/12 03:24 PM

I actually commented on that picture on their Facebook page, and pretty much pointed out how that is a sub-par picture for a six thousand dollar mount.

They deleted my comment and blocked me from posting on their Facebook page...

That is definitely no way to react to criticism and kinda raises questions if Meade needs to censor bad comments on the Mount instead of simply explaining the beta process and whats going on with the mount/shot.

Im really interested in this mount, but this seems like Meade's first major foray into the higher end astro-imaging equipment. I hope they understand that people are very unforgiving if equipment in this price range does not meet expectations.

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: JSnuff1]
      #5064054 - 02/09/12 03:47 PM

Quote:

this seems like Meade's first major foray into the higher end astro-imaging equipment.

It's their second major foray into midrange imaging mounts (the previous run went from the mid-90's to about the turn of the century) and this mount looks like a major improvement. Their first foray into high-end mounts was a few years ago and is still in production.

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5064789 - 02/10/12 12:54 AM

With due respect, I wouldn't consider the one you mention "few years ago" high-end; mid-range may be... Regardless, with LX800, Meade is entering the domain likes of which are Astro-Physics, Takahashi, etc. (sorry for not listing all). Most of us have high expectations from LX800; hence the scrutiny and rightly so, given the investment most of us are/will be making. Facebook blockage of users/comments is troubling!

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: mmalik]
      #5064822 - 02/10/12 01:19 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't consider the one you mention "few years ago" high-end; mid-range may be... Regardless, with LX800, Meade is entering the domain likes of which are Astro-Physics, Takahashi, etc.

You may be thinking of the LXD750, which is the midrange mount I mentioned as being introduced in the 90's. As I stated, I believe that the LX-800 has the potential to be a much better midrange mount than that was (though I owned several and they worked quite well). The LX-800 is priced to compare to the CGE Pro or Losmandy Titan. The current high-end Meade model I mentioned is, at four times the price of the LX800, more in line pricewise with the makes you mention. None of the big guns offers a 90 pound mount for $6000.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

#5065049 - 02/10/12 08:20 AM Attachment (44 downloads)

Quote:

With due respect, I wouldn't consider the one you mention "few years ago" high-end...

Here's a photo of Meade's high-end mount that John was referring to. This photo was taken at NEAF in 2010

rmollise
Postmaster

#5065092 - 02/10/12 09:00 AM

Quote:

With due respect, I wouldn't consider the one you mention "few years ago" high-end; mid-range may be...

The Max is high end in my book...

It's a dadgum long way from "mid-range" as MY wallet goes...

JSnuff1
sage

Reged: 12/29/04

Loc: NY
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: rmollise]
      #5065763 - 02/10/12 04:00 PM

Yea the Max mount is definitely outside of this category...and how many of those have they made? 10?

Meade has never sold a 6k+ mount, and they are directly competing as others have mentioned with the likes of Astro-physics and takahashi, and we all know they have amazing proven platforms.

I really hope Meade knows this, and the fact that they will have a brand new customer base which they have never handled before.

QA issues that might have been overlooked by their customers before won't fly when a dedicated imaging setup is based off this mount.

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

#5065818 - 02/10/12 04:35 PM

Looks like Jack Newton is one of their beta testers:

https://www.facebook.com/meadetelescopes#!/meadetelescopes

rmollise
Postmaster

#5065866 - 02/10/12 05:08 PM

Quote:

Yea the Max mount is definitely outside of this category...and how many of those have they made? 10?

Meade has never sold a 6k+ mount, and they are directly competing as others have mentioned with the likes of Astro-physics and takahashi, and we all know they have amazing proven platforms.

I really hope Meade knows this, and the fact that they will have a brand new customer base which they have never handled before.

QA issues that might have been overlooked by their customers before won't fly when a dedicated imaging setup is based off this mount.

No Idea, but they are in the hands of some customers.

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Griffin!]
      #5065881 - 02/10/12 05:21 PM

I stand corrected; I was referring to LXD750 as mid-range (MAX is definitely NOT I was thinking of). That would make LX800 as high-end for all practical purposes; I consider $6K mount as high-end for the masses. Given the integrated tracking, it has a class of its own. Getting back to the topic, Meade has yet to redeem themselves on the pathetic first round of images. Good to know real users are testing LX800.

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
      #5066022 - 02/10/12 06:56 PM

Quote:

Nice to see one out in the field!

budman1961
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/11

Loc: Springfield, MO
      #5066086 - 02/10/12 07:35 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

Quote:

Ohhh yeah, I forgot...I got mine a while back.....forgot to tell you all!

Edited by budman1961 (02/10/12 07:39 PM)

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5066265 - 02/10/12 09:30 PM

The munt looks good, the specs are good, and I am sure it will be a capable mount in the right hands. The fly in the ointment is service and parts. I for one do not want to send the entire mount back because of a bad bearing, motor, controler etc. Losmandy, AP and others will sell you what you need and will send out parts under warranty when nedded. That is worth a lot in my book.

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5066266 - 02/10/12 09:30 PM

The munt looks good, the specs are good, and I am sure it will be a capable mount in the right hands. The fly in the ointment is service and parts. I for one do not want to send the entire mount back because of a bad bearing, motor, controler etc. Losmandy, AP and others will sell you what you need and will send out parts under warranty when nedded. That is worth a lot in my book.

mmalik
Postmaster

#5066540 - 02/11/12 12:50 AM

Quote:

This one "appears" to be a 10" LX800...

Edited by mmalik (02/11/12 01:06 AM)

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56612

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics