Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | >> (show all)
jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: DaveJ]
      #5080469 - 02/19/12 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

250 does seem a bit high for an inert (or nearly so) weight, though, I'll admit.

Yeah, but it's stainless steel rather than some poorly painted piece of cast iron. Stainless costs $$!

Painted 14 pound counterweights for an NJP go for $200 apiece; I forget how much the stainless steel ones I switched to were but I know it was more. The precision and convenience of threaded counterweights have costs.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/07

Loc: Southern Tier NY
      #5080635 - 02/19/12 04:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

250 does seem a bit high for an inert (or nearly so) weight, though, I'll admit.

Yeah, but it's stainless steel rather than some poorly painted piece of cast iron. Stainless costs $$!

An AP 18# counter weight costs $190 that's also stainless. Meade costing $60 more for the same weight, counter weight than AP now that's one for the record.

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Phil Cowell]
      #5080672 - 02/19/12 05:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

An AP 18# counter weight costs $190 that's also stainless. Meade costing $60 more for the same weight, counter weight than AP now that's one for the record.

Not necessarily! According to what's been posted here, the CW shaft is threaded - therefore the counterweights themselves have to be threaded. I'm not a machinist, but I've heard that machining stainless isn't easy. Jrcrilly posted what threaded Tak counterweights cost. I'm not a Meade fanboy by any stretch, but their cost for the stainless, machined & threaded CWs is not out of line. Have you priced Robin Casady's counterweights? These aren't machined with threads, either, and costs are high.

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

#5080694 - 02/19/12 05:28 PM

The LX800 counterweights are 22 lbs. each. I do remember them being 18, but it looks like that has changed.

http://www.meade.com/lx800/specifications

mmalik
Postmaster

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Griffin!]
      #5080712 - 02/19/12 05:43 PM

For some reason they seem to have listed 22 lbs. CW toward the top and 18 lbs. CW toward the bottom of the same page ; not sure if it is omission or intension? Could it be that 'mount only' comes with 22 lbs. CW?

Edited by mmalik (02/19/12 05:57 PM)

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: mmalik]
      #5080721 - 02/19/12 05:50 PM

If you go to one of the other tabs it says 22 lbs. again, so I assume that's the correct number and that other 18 was simply missed when it was updated.

Phil Cowell
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/24/07

Loc: Southern Tier NY
      #5081554 - 02/20/12 08:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not necessarily! According to what's been posted here, the CW shaft is threaded - therefore the counterweights themselves have to be threaded. I'm not a machinist, but I've heard that machining stainless isn't easy. Jrcrilly posted what threaded Tak counterweights cost. I'm not a Meade fanboy by any stretch, but their cost for the stainless, machined & threaded CWs is not out of line. Have you priced Robin Casady's counterweights? These aren't machined with threads, either, and costs are high.

The AP counter weights are also lined and use copper (I think or Brass)for the liner.
Running a thread when production is setup is reasonably easy. Fitting a liner to me (I'm not an ME) would involve more work.
Phil

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Phil Cowell]
      #5084723 - 02/21/12 10:43 PM

Quote:

Running a thread when production is setup is reasonably easy. Fitting a liner to me (I'm not an ME) would involve more work.

On a lighter note... what became of the English language we used to know!

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
      #5085212 - 02/22/12 09:32 AM

Just a guess, but if there is some type of quick release button involved, then the counterweight bore itself may not be threaded. There could be some type of spring loaded split nut type of mechanism embedded in the weight. The technical term would be a "thingamajiggy". When you press the release button, the "nut" halves open slightly to let the weight slide. Release the button, and the "nut" clamps back down on the threaded CW shaft. Pure speculation...so it's completely in line with the spirit of this thread! ...John

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: John Miele]
      #5085217 - 02/22/12 09:36 AM

It's motorized!

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: herrointment]
      #5085273 - 02/22/12 10:02 AM

Self aligning self balancing. Yea that's it.

LouHalikman

Reged: 02/23/11

Loc: North Central Maryland
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Stew57]
      #5097107 - 02/29/12 08:51 AM

Have any shipped yet? I'm still waiting for my 12" on the LX 800 mount, ordered in November. Lou H

sphelps

Reged: 07/03/10

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: LouHalikman]
      #5098742 - 03/01/12 02:08 AM

From what I hear, the end of March is the shipping date.

Hellow533
sage

Reged: 03/11/11

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5099527 - 03/01/12 02:29 PM

Wonder if this will make it as a new class of telescopes.

Pros over lx200?

yweln

Reged: 08/05/11

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Hellow533]
      #5103245 - 03/03/12 06:13 PM

Quote:

Pros over lx200?

If Starlock works like they're advertising, it could be huge. Plus there's the f/8 tube with the new focuser. And GEM versus the fork mount.

The LX200, however, is a proven system.

Jared
Postmaster

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: yweln]
      #5103354 - 03/03/12 07:15 PM

I'm not certain what is huge about Starlock. Looks like a trade name for features that already exist in other computerized scopes. It's all integrated and automated, which may make it faster, but the "full time, automatic guide star selection and auto-guiding" doesn't sound any different from PHD (aside from the fact that you must click on your guide star in PHD). Ultra-Precision pointing has been around for years--originally introduced by Meade in around '92 or so. Perhaps it will be more automated using the cameras in the LX800? Accurate polar alignment routines exist in most computerized scopes, so I'm not certain what's different in the LX800 version (except that it's using cameras to detect drift rather than slewing and star centering).

They look like nice features, and if well executed may make the LX800 a bit more automated/easier to use than competing scopes, but nothing I would describe as "huge".

My current scope can be polar aligned accurately enough for 15 minute sub exposures in less than ten minutes using a simple guide scope. Most auto guiders will track to 1 arc second as long as the mount is smooth. Selecting a guide star and calibrating the guiding is not exactly the most challenging part of astrophotography. Ultra-Precision pointing is available on any current computerized scope simply by slewing to a nearby bright star and centering (I assume this is the same technique the LX800 will use).

yweln

Reged: 08/05/11

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Jared]
      #5103371 - 03/03/12 07:28 PM

I think that because you can buy all of that in one go is what makes it exceptional.

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: yweln]
      #5104898 - 03/04/12 03:05 PM

Sometimes I think Meade went little too proprietary (no USB, etc.) and little too big (in size) on the StarLock guiding system. Technology trends on auto-guiding are getting small and concise. Although I like the looks of XL800, my fears are that it is already starting to look bulky & bit archaic, and it is not even released. For instance, look at the tiny auto-guiding cameras available from SBIG (ST-i), Orion (StarShoot), etc. Such a system would look no more than a tiny finder scope on top of a large OTA or even in place of the current StarLock. Picture a tiny SBIG ST-i size guide scope on LX800 and huge StarLock system disappears? I am a big fan of LX800; just fearing that this bulky guiding system might start looking archaic/obsolete too soon after release; just my fears…your thoughts?

Guiding sensitivity StarLock : 11th Mag.
Guiding sensitivity SBIG ST-i : 11th Mag.

Note: I am sure there are fine differences in CMOS sensor size/# of pixels, etc., just providing an example given difference in the form factor of the two. Plus Meade has not published detailed specs where one to one comparison could be made.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5106221 - 03/05/12 10:18 AM

My thoughts are that the advantage of the LX800 is in its "what you get for the money" aspect. When I think about buying the CGE-Pro 1400, the focal reducer, adding a side by side saddle plate and a refractor with a focal length compatible with the EdgeHDs, then buying the guide camera like the one you mentioned above I start to realize that I wouldn't gain anything over the LX800 and would have spent quite a bit more.

mmalik
Postmaster

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5107717 - 03/06/12 02:36 AM

Is StartLock port on LX800 mount proprietary or ST4?

Note: My question is 'not' regarding Aux guide port.

Pages: << 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | >> (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56558

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics