Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: skybsd]
      #4818543 - 09/20/11 04:12 PM

Doesn't it bother any of you that the mount comes with it's own guide scope that you may not want or ever use it because you already have a guidance system you like and trust?

Peter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
skybsd
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/01/08

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #4818563 - 09/20/11 04:21 PM

Quote:

Doesn't it bother any of you that the mount comes with it's own guide scope that you may not want or ever use it because you already have a guidance system you like and trust?

Peter

As a visual-only observer, it doesn't bother me one bit

Seriously though - if its at all terribly important to someone then its best to seek clarification on feature operations and functionality directly from the manufacturer up front..,

Regards,

skybsd

Bachus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Nashville,TN.
      #4818705 - 09/20/11 05:36 PM

Quote:

Peter

As with anything that gives you more "gizmos"...it's either a burden or convenience, a plus or minus depending on the individual.

On the minus side like you said you may already have a guider setup you like, prefer, use to and it's something else that could go wrong, break, stop working, etc...

On the plus side it's already there, no setting up another camera, guide scope, more cables, hookups, no rail package to buy or extra rings. No buying a guide scope or guide camera...amost a turn-key setup, it's there ready.

wz2
Most Boring Astronomer...

Reged: 07/30/10

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Bachus]
      #4818735 - 09/20/11 05:47 PM

Just thought of this. Isn't the LX800's "effective" payload for the main scope (for comparative purposes anyway) something like 100 lbs. After all, guidescope and brackets and such are already there. Any other mount you would subtract the weight of a guidescope, etc, to arrive at the capacity of your main imaging/viewing scope. Maybe better just to "de-rate" the regular mount for comparison, eh?

Chris

David PavlichAdministrator
Transmographied

Reged: 05/18/05

Loc: Mandeville, LA USA
      #4819132 - 09/20/11 10:08 PM

Quote:

Peter

I'm trying to understand your train of thought. If this configuration doesn't meet your requirements, then you don't buy the mount. But why should that bother you especially since there are alternatives; CGE Pro or the Losmandy Titan?

David

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: David Pavlich]
      #4819150 - 09/20/11 10:17 PM

Well, I think to a lot of people, it may be a waste of money if they already have their own guidance system. If Meade made this optional, the price of the mount could be substantial lower without the guide scope. Also, I am firm believer of Off Axis Guiding (OAG) whether the scope is SCT or refractor. Even Meade's claim that their new focusing system without mirror locks will NOT shift the primary mirror, I am very skeptical. I would rather use OAG over any separate guide scope.

Peter

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
      #4819393 - 09/21/11 01:18 AM Attachment (85 downloads)

To add to what already has been said, would that guiding system be good enough to guide a C11 or a C14 ? I am doubtful...

I agree with Peter regarding OAG. Even this requires careful adjustments of the guiding software, PHD in my case.

In the photo attached, I am trying to guide my C11 @f/10,(2800mm) with the help of an OAG. I am sorry that the RA graph is not visible. I am realizing only now that the Rubylith didn't allow my iPhone to capture the RA graph. Next time, I will take it off before taking the picture of this graph Despite all my efforts, both the RA and the DEC lines are quite jaggy. I have double checked my drift alignment before this session. My mount is on a permanent pier and has near perfect polar alignment.

Nevertheless, the resulting photo has round stars.

On the contrary, when I was guiding with lesser focal length guide scopes (well, I tried maximum 800mm) the graph was almost flat but the resulting photo was full of stretched stars.

So, what is the focal length of Meade's guide scope ?

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: bilgebay]
      #4819403 - 09/21/11 01:30 AM Attachment (85 downloads)

This is what came out of this graph...an unprocessed sub - Stephans Quintet - 300 second exposure

Edited by bilgebay (09/21/11 01:30 AM)

bilgebay
Post Laureate

#4819404 - 09/21/11 01:32 AM Attachment (53 downloads)

Crop of of the center left area

bilgebay
Post Laureate

#4819407 - 09/21/11 01:38 AM Attachment (43 downloads)

100% crop from the above

bilgebay
Post Laureate

#4819415 - 09/21/11 01:52 AM Attachment (68 downloads)

and this is what I've got with 800mm FL guidescope - 480 seconds exposure

Edited by bilgebay (09/21/11 01:58 AM)

bilgebay
Post Laureate

#4819416 - 09/21/11 01:53 AM Attachment (42 downloads)

cropped

bilgebay
Post Laureate

#4819418 - 09/21/11 01:54 AM Attachment (49 downloads)

while the stars are like this, PHD graph was even smoother than this one

Edited by bilgebay (09/21/11 01:55 AM)

Bachus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Nashville,TN.
      #4819606 - 09/21/11 07:56 AM

Quote:

So, what is the focal length of Meade's guide scope ?

According to the specs and info....

"StarLock uses a 80mm f/5 optic and a super wideangle lens in a two camera system that automatically finds your target in high-precision, immediately captures a field star as dim as 11th magnitude and then guides to an incredible accuracy of one arcsecond. StarLock achieves this amazing accuracy because, unlike add-on guiders, StarLock is integrated into the telescope control system and communicates directly with the motor controllers in real time with a maximum precision of 0.01 arcseconds."

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Bachus]
      #4819618 - 09/21/11 08:08 AM

400mm focal length !! I will wait for the experts to chime in before I comment further.

Edited by bilgebay (09/21/11 08:08 AM)

jmartin

Reged: 08/25/08

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX
      #4819687 - 09/21/11 09:15 AM

deleted by me.

Edited by jmartin (09/21/11 09:16 AM)

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: jmartin]
      #4819746 - 09/21/11 09:57 AM

With the optional reducer bringing the telscope down to F/5 from F/8 I think the built in guider should be great. Remember that if you are properly polar aligned, which the system helps to accomplish, you should be able to take your subs with minimal guiding to begin with. If I read correctly the description of how it works, it should auto-correct the periodic error as it goes along. I think they are trying to hit the most common issues astrophotographers have to deal with, that takes up valuable time, from a few different angles at once and their expectation is the system is going to take very minimal set up time before you are ready to start imaging and once you do you will have no problems with mirror shift, periodic error, polar alignment issues etc.

Will it work? Only time will tell.

tim53
Postmaster

Reged: 12/17/04

Loc: Highland Park, CA
      #4819759 - 09/21/11 10:05 AM

Quote:

while the stars are like this, PHD graph was even smoother than this one

I haven't used PhD guiding, but I've found a lot of these applications seem to adjust the vertical scale of the graph so you can see the wiggles. If your polar alignment is very good and your autoguiding is working really well, the vertical scale might be covering a very small range, so the corrections look horrendous even if they might be down in the arc second range or so.

If all THAT is the case, then I can understand why your OAG'd photo shows round stars but your GS'd photo shows elongated ones. Guiding is working very well, but you're getting a little differential flexure between your main and your GS in the second pic.

This kind of flexure can be frustrating to track down, as it could be anywhere in either scope.

-Tim.

nytecam
Postmaster

Reged: 08/20/05

Loc: London UK
      #4820418 - 09/21/11 04:34 PM

Quote:

Doesn't it bother any of you that the mount comes with it's own guide scope that you may not want or ever use it because you already have a guidance system you like and trust? Peter

The vast majority of CN posters seem *eyeballers* and are probably very representative of amateur astro in general. The proposed Meade *astrograph* [3 cams: w/a finder+ autoguider+ main scope users {DSLR?}cam] would seem over-kill so maybe Meade are looking for new markets which I applaud - as an exclusive imager

However my small dome won't accomodate a spacehogging GEM which I thought, from the vids, was rather ugly. Beauty is clearly in the eye-of-the-beholder

Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: nytecam]
      #4820533 - 09/21/11 05:45 PM

You have been looking at a prototype. The production unit has a much nicer saddle. Nonetheless the LX800 has equally bad ergonomics as the CGE Pro. The LX800 uses a re-purposed LX200-ACF control box which has a ST4 port. I am sure that one can turn off the built-in autoguider and I am hoping that the available ST4 port can be used with an after-market guider.

This thread has gotten long in the tooth and posts are running in circle.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56182

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics