Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Trombone
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/05

Loc: Canadian west (and north!)
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Joe Cepleur]
      #4827726 - 09/25/11 10:02 PM

Just know that to input the local horizon feature easily you need an iPhone, not just the latest iPod touch.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/18/10

Loc: Dark North Woods
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Trombone]
      #4827742 - 09/25/11 10:15 PM

Yes thanks, Trombone; perhaps you read in my signature that I have only an iPod, not an iPhone. According the the blurb on the App Store, there is a way to enter the horizon using a protractor and a compass. Presumably with an iPhone, there is some kind of augmented reality function allowing the horizon to be traced with the camera while the compass and GPS render the horizon effortlessly. Can anyone comment on the difficulty of roughing out a horizon manually? I figure it will be worth the effort.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Oregon, USA
Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Astrosetz]
      #4827818 - 09/25/11 11:04 PM

Quote:

Two suggestions:

1. Ability to sort the observing list like you can with catalogs. If I put a list together I would like to quickly sort in order imshould observe them on a given night.

2. Solar system objects (at least the planets)

I had a hard time deciding whether to use the same sorting modes with the Observing List or allowing the user to sort manually. Right now you can drag-and-drop to sort manually. What would you think if I supported the other sort modes in the Observing List through the action menu? This would lose any custom sorting you may have set but allows both paradigms to be supported.

Solar System support... I have some great ideas for how I'm going to integrate solar system planning in Observer Pro. Unfortunately they will take a bit of time to implement properly. For the time being I may just add support for the planets with the same visibility charts as the DSOs (I've had lots of requests for this and I'd like to have it too).

I really appreciate you sharing Observer Pro with your club! I have a very limited marketing budget

Clear skies!
Josh

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4827825 - 09/25/11 11:08 PM

Quote:

I have beta tested and even consulted on the design of a number of astronomy apps for iPhone, and have been frustrated that not one programmer jumped at the suggestion to write an app with Observer Pro's capabilities. "Too hard," they all said; "no good way to design such an interface." I am not a programmer, and so was unable to code it myself. I just stumbled across Observer Pro, and am glad to hear Josh has written my dream program. Thanks, Josh! I'll download it and follow this page. Bet it is great, and will only get better!

Wow! Thank you so much for the encouraging words! I have to say, it wasn't exactly easy but I REALLY wanted this type of app for my iPhone.

Clear skies!
Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: jbury]
      #4827839 - 09/25/11 11:16 PM

Quote:

What would you think if I supported the other sort modes in the Observing List through the action menu? This would lose any custom sorting you may have set but allows both paradigms to be supported.

Could the first task of any built-in sorting script always be to save the custom sort order for later restoration?

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4827844 - 09/25/11 11:18 PM

Quote:

Yes thanks, Trombone; perhaps you read in my signature that I have only an iPod, not an iPhone. According the the blurb on the App Store, there is a way to enter the horizon using a protractor and a compass. Presumably with an iPhone, there is some kind of augmented reality function allowing the horizon to be traced with the camera while the compass and GPS render the horizon effortlessly. Can anyone comment on the difficulty of roughing out a horizon manually? I figure it will be worth the effort.

It is true that because the iPod touch lacks a magnetometer you will have to manually create and import your local horizon to take full advantage of Observer Pro. The easiest way is to measure your horizon is with a friends iPhone 4 and email the horizon measurement to yourself for import. If that's not possible, you can measure your horizon with either a protractor and compass or your telescope mount. The basic pieces of data that you need are heading values (compass) and the horizon altitude at those headings (protractor, inclinometer, or go-to telescope mount that you can aim and read alt-az values from). You do not need to measure all the way around. The idea would be to measure the critical points (the top corners of your house, the tops of your trees, any low points between trees/house, etc.). Observer Pro will automatically interpolate between the points that you provide. There's some more description of the file format here. Let me know if you have any questions along the way.

Clear skies!
Josh

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4827849 - 09/25/11 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What would you think if I supported the other sort modes in the Observing List through the action menu? This would lose any custom sorting you may have set but allows both paradigms to be supported.

Could the first task of any built-in sorting script always be to save the custom sort order for later restoration?

That's an interesting idea. Originally I was going to support multiple observing lists (and I may add it in the future). If there's the ability to maintain multiple observing lists I could add a 'duplicate' function that would effectively be the way you would 'save' your manually sorted list before sorting by magnitude/transit/etc.

Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4828017 - 09/26/11 04:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's an interesting idea. Originally I was going to support multiple observing lists (and I may add it in the future). If there's the ability to maintain multiple observing lists I could add a 'duplicate' function that would effectively be the way you would 'save' your manually sorted list before sorting by magnitude/transit/etc.

Josh

Could do both. Allow not only creating, but saving and naming custom sorts for use across all custom lists. Also, upon invoking a built-in sort, first save the current custom sort to prevent frustration from accidentally lost sorts. Cool thing is, saving just the parameters (not the sorted list) would occur so quickly as to cause essentially no hit to performance.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4828739 - 09/26/11 01:59 PM

Quote:

Could do both. Allow not only creating, but saving and naming custom sorts for use across all custom lists. Also, upon invoking a built-in sort, first save the current custom sort to prevent frustration from accidentally lost sorts. Cool thing is, saving just the parameters (not the sorted list) would occur so quickly as to cause essentially no hit to performance.

These are some great ideas. I'm definitely going to do some thinking about how to facilitate more complex observing list management as Observer Pro grows. Thanks for the feedback!

Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4830367 - 09/27/11 12:29 PM

Busted! But only temporarily. In my excitement, I forgot to check the system requirements. Observer Pro will not run on my older iPod. Funny thing is, had I tried to download it from the iPod, I may have gotten a warning that it was too old; but, when downloading from my Mac's desktop, iTunes gives no such warning, despite knowing the type of iPod I have. Apple, thy name is Redmond! Thou ought to know better.

No worries. I have been planning to upgrade my iPod at the next release of new hardware, which may be early October. I'll continue to follow this thread, and report back after my upgrade.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4830426 - 09/27/11 12:52 PM

Quote:

Busted! But only temporarily. In my excitement, I forgot to check the system requirements. Observer Pro will not run on my older iPod. Funny thing is, had I tried to download it from the iPod, I may have gotten a warning that it was too old; but, when downloading from my Mac's desktop, iTunes gives no such warning, despite knowing the type of iPod I have. Apple, thy name is Redmond! Thou ought to know better.

Bummer! Which generation iPod touch do you have?

Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4830494 - 09/27/11 01:30 PM

iPod Touch Gen 2 running iOS 4.2.1. Got a build for antique iPods, even if not all the features worked?

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4830514 - 09/27/11 01:42 PM

Quote:

iPod Touch Gen 2 running iOS 4.2.1. Got a build for antique iPods, even if not all the features worked?

I'm not actually sure why it won't work. The only requirement I set before I sent it off to Apple was iOS 4.2. In any case, I'm not sure how well it would run on a 2nd gen iPod touch, it does a lot of calculations 'on the fly' and may be on the slow side (same for iPhone 3G, works fine on 3GS though).

Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4830581 - 09/27/11 02:20 PM

Newer iPods use a different graphics engine. I forget what it's called. "OpenGL?" The Gen 2 can not run these new graphics, a likely reason for the bust.

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

#4830642 - 09/27/11 03:04 PM

That is most likely the issue . I'll see if there's anything I can do on my end to increase compatibility.

Josh

Joe Cepleur
Carpal Tunnel

#4830723 - 09/27/11 04:00 PM

Increasing compatability with older hardware may be worthwhile. All but two of the (well-written) astronomy apps run fine on iPod Gen 2. Only Distant Suns 3 and SkySafari Pro lock up. Not a crash from bad coding, but likely running out of enough RAM for smooth operation. DS3 may load too many functions and SkySafari Pro too much data for the Gen 2's RAM. With only 14,000 objects but lots of calculations on the fly, a version of Obersvation Pro may be fine if written for older hardware.

Of course, it really is getting on time to replace my Gen 2, but support for newer old iPods may boost sales.

Thank you!

Astrosetz
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/05/03

Loc: Wisconsin
      #4839474 - 10/02/11 02:39 PM

Hi Josh,

Sorry I've been away from CN for a while -- the ideas for sorting the observing list that I've seen are all good ones. Just being able to sort the list like the others would be a welcome start in my book. BTW, having multiple observing lists would be a great enhancement too!

In terms of the planets, the visibility charts would be the most useful anyway (for me, at least). In terms of planning, I'm looking for the answer to "when is Saturn around at 9pm" because I do a lot of outreach events

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: Astrosetz]
      #4841536 - 10/03/11 02:28 PM

Quote:

Hi Josh,

Sorry I've been away from CN for a while -- the ideas for sorting the observing list that I've seen are all good ones. Just being able to sort the list like the others would be a welcome start in my book. BTW, having multiple observing lists would be a great enhancement too!

In terms of the planets, the visibility charts would be the most useful anyway (for me, at least). In terms of planning, I'm looking for the answer to "when is Saturn around at 9pm" because I do a lot of outreach events

Thanks for the feedback Jeff! Good to hear that multiple lists would be desirable, I was on the fence about that.

Clear skies!
Josh

silverking

Reged: 03/11/08

Loc: Canada
      #4873616 - 10/21/11 11:51 PM

IPad please........that's all that's making me hesitate to press "BUY"

jbury
Vendor - ObserverPro

Re: Observer Pro is now available on the App Store! new [Re: silverking]
      #4873649 - 10/22/11 12:11 AM

Quote:

IPad please........that's all that's making me hesitate to press "BUY"

I can't give you an ETA on iPad support but I can say that it will be a free update (universal app). The current version runs pretty well on the iPad if you don't mind the iPhone-sized view or the iPad '2x' mode

Josh

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6218

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics