Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | >> (show all)
haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5201466 - 05/02/12 09:40 AM

Very nice image Tim, not only Plato, but the Alpine valley in the top left and also the Bay of Rainbows lower right.

I can just make out the ghost of those small craterlets on the floor of Plato, capturing those well as Alex did some time ago is tough, but doable under the right conditions.So far, whenever i tried to capture them well, i have failed, but worth trying again and again if i ever get back to solar system imaging.

regards,

Tom.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: haytor]
      #5201478 - 05/02/12 09:45 AM

Wonderful lunar image Tim. Look forward to seeing your attempt at the craterlets.

Good luck.

Regards. Peter.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Peter9]
      #5201610 - 05/02/12 11:12 AM Attachment (32 downloads)

I had taken this image of Plato some time back using the C6 barlowed x2 with Neximage.

TmaninTn
sage

Reged: 12/19/10

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
      #5201679 - 05/02/12 11:47 AM

Hi Maverick,

I was trying to get the best resolution last night since the seeing conditions were a little off, so I actually had my 6.3 focal reducer in front of the Neximage cam. I tried just my 2X barlow and the clarity suffered quite a bit.

So it makes me wonder, will I get better clarity using the focal reducer and the Barlow or is it better to go without the reducer and just use the regular barlow setup?

Also, the poster Eric (BLINEAU) from France recommended I get a UV/IR cut filter for the Neximage cam which I did, and I can tell you that it does make a difference in terms of clearer final images.

I went with the Baader Planetarium filter and it's worked pretty well in cutting down on noise in the images.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: TmaninTn]
      #5201763 - 05/02/12 12:32 PM

I actually seem to get more 'contrast' if I use a GSO 0.5x GSO F/R with Neximage. However, if you want to go deep and take some fantastic but time consuming mosaics, then some of the best moon images I have seen are those. I am yet to try a mosaic with Neximage barlowed.

It really boils down to individual preferences. Your image of the moon is excellent and different to the one I posted. Someday's you may like what you captured, some days you may like to do something different and come up feeling better.

Sometimes I just try afocal and pull out some neat single images of the moon or try a Refractor and see the sharp small craters come out nicely.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5202080 - 05/02/12 02:58 PM

Yes Tim, very nice. But as Haseeb said, throw some more mag on Plato. If you get it magnified and well focused, those craterlets jump right out. The OP of this thread, Alex Post, proved that a couple of years ago!

Nice pic though.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Skip]
      #5202219 - 05/02/12 04:12 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

A very nice image my friend, and two of the craterlets are indeed there in your original image as I've hoped to show here by cropping and using a little P/Shop manipulation.

Nicely done, Tim, !

Best regards,
Tel

TmaninTn
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Tel]
      #5202258 - 05/02/12 04:33 PM

Thanks Tel! I hadn't had a chance yet to play much with the image as it was 2:30 in the am when I got my final image saved from registax, and thus way past my bedtime.

Aside from being an absolute anchor for my wallet, astronomy is not the best hobby for keeping regular sleeping hours either.

But boy do I love this forum- having guys like Tel manipulate your image to show those craters is awesome!!!

TmaninTn
sage

#5209029 - 05/06/12 03:51 PM Attachment (29 downloads)

Took a shot at the craterlets in the Plato crater last night, although the conditions weren't ideal. Atmosphere was terrible.

Neximage 3X barlow, wxastro settings f/5 at 1/33 shutter, about 250 frames through registax 6.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5210335 - 05/07/12 02:00 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Looks good Tim. Weather is not good here with haze and smog not to mention light pollution. Just trying various settings in Paintshop pro and came up with this Omega cen that I took earlier with C6. Looks almost like 3D.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5213170 - 05/09/12 02:29 AM

Tel, Skip, Pete, Art, Tom, you guys here.

Tel
Postmaster

#5213242 - 05/09/12 06:32 AM Attachment (24 downloads)

Hi Haseeb,

Were you perhaps looking for something surreal from your latest Omega Centuri, such as this below..... ?

I don't know how you produced the original, (nor do I think I want to....) !

Best regards,
Tel

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#5213283 - 05/09/12 07:48 AM

Sorry guy`s, been a hectic last few weeks, a death in the family and a funeral, then my grand daughter was born, so have been dealing with family matters rather than posting.

Tim, nice catch despite the conditions, yes the craterlets are more clear than previous attempts and i`m sure you will get a much better result once conditions allow.

Haseeb, sorry but with my imaging hat on, i cannot truthfully say i like this last image, however with my artistic hat on i guess it has some merit, although i`m not sure in what way.

Not really sure what your aim was here, but the background stars are way out of focus while the main central ball looks like a sprinkling of salt and pepper.

Hope my comments do not offend, thats not my intention, just looks very strange to me

regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (05/09/12 07:51 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5213286 - 05/09/12 07:54 AM

Hi Haseeb,

I'm here my old friend. Having to sort one or two things out at home at the moment so not had as much time on line.

Great image of Omega Cen Haseeb. It is one of the DSO's I'll never get to see from my location, so many thanks.

It's good to see you lads imaging some of the DSO's of late. They are objects which are close to my heart.

Regards. Peter.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Peter9]
      #5213510 - 05/09/12 10:44 AM

Thanks Tel, Tom and Peter.

To Tom and Peter, my condolences to the bereaved family and to you'll.

I guess I need to clarify. This Omega Cen is the same image I posted earlier. I applied 'depth of field' to get a 3D like look which I thought I could share as getting new images with the haze and clouds is gonna take some time.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#5213538 - 05/09/12 11:02 AM

Hi Haseeb,

thanks for explaining what you did and why, your original Omega Cen, i remember being an image i would like to have taken, Omega Cen, is truely an outstanging object to image, not visible from my part of the world sadly, so like Peter, i always enjoy seeing such delights from others that can image it.The largest and best glob i can image is M13,but it pales in comparison with Omega Cen.

So any object you can image that i cannot see or image is always a bonus,so keep em coming!

regards,

Tom.

TmaninTn
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: haytor]
      #5216552 - 05/11/12 03:00 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Screwing around with Saturn, still not the focus I know I can get with this scope but I'm getting closer.

2X barlow with the Neximage cam+ UV/IR cut filter, about 1200 frames (f5, 1/25 wxastro settings)..

Tel
Postmaster

#5216605 - 05/11/12 06:17 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Hi Tim,

Once again, a fine capture of Saturn ! Many congratulations.

I haven't been able to see a clear sky over here in the UK for about a month now, but tonight the forecast is, (if you believe it), for a "good one". That being the case, I too intend to try for Saturn.

Meantime, there is a lot of as yet uncovered data within your image which I have attempted to bring out this morning via P/Shop, (under, so far, less than optimistic cloudy skies) ! I hope it meets with your approval.

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5216925 - 05/11/12 11:10 AM

Thanks Tom, I will.

Nice image of Saturn. Tel you did a great job on that one, can you improve on the colors? looks almost black and white.

TmaninTn
sage

#5217134 - 05/11/12 01:19 PM

Thanks as always Tel, humbled and honored as usual!

I have this bad habit of attempting to process the video I took while observing immediately after I finish observing, which is usually some ungodly hour on the morning. Trying to get all the settings right in Registax (especially considering how little I understand half of what's happening in Registax) at that hour when I should just go to sleep is not conducive to proper processing.

We're supposed to have some cloudy skies for the next few days so I'm going to try and process this one again with hopefully better results.

Pages: << 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | >> (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 59269

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics