Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | >> (show all)
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: TmaninTn]
      #5217209 - 05/11/12 01:57 PM

Hi Tim,

Not at all ! Only pleased to try to enthuse folks to go on with astro-imaging far beyond my level; something I'm sure many, including yourself, are well capable of doing, certainly given better climatic conditions than we have to endure here in the UK !( I've not had the weather opportunity to have undertaked anything for a month) !

In terms though, of any limited advice I can give you, then I would say, by all means continue to download and stack your AVIs in what better than Registax ? Thereafter, use the Wavelets cautiously and sparingly; equally the contrast/brightness and the gamma (curve) setting.

Then, depending on what you have produced; transfer your image to something like P/Shop or, failing that, perhaps to freeware GIMP for further processing.

Above all, take your time over your processing..... after all, we want to see the best of images from you which, from your capture technique, are certainly "There" !!

Hope to have helped,

Best regards,
Tel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
TmaninTn
sage

Reged: 12/19/10

Loc: Nashville, TN USA
      #5219660 - 05/13/12 02:29 AM Attachment (42 downloads)

I played some more with my Saturn shot from thursday in Registax 6 to bring out some more detail. I know the data is there, it's just a matter of figuring out how to bring it to life.....

Tel
Postmaster

#5219712 - 05/13/12 05:52 AM Attachment (40 downloads)

Congratulations Tim, on some fine re-processing !

It still never ceases to exite me in beginning the processing of a just captured image, (like the attached), apprehensive of what if anything might emerge !

By and large, I'm sure I'm still discarding 50 - 60 % of anything I take but I think my success rate is slowly improving as I'm sure you feel yours is.

Nice one, my friend !

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Tel]
      #5219758 - 05/13/12 07:05 AM

Nice result Tim.

That's one big planet Tel.

TmaninTn
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5241707 - 05/27/12 03:21 AM Attachment (64 downloads)

Fun with solar filters!

Neximage with a reducer, about 2000 frames. Registax keeps freezing on me so I need to find a better processing program, but playing around with these Sunspots is pretty fun.

Tel
Postmaster

#5241739 - 05/27/12 04:47 AM

A very nice capture of sunspot activity, Tim.

Which Registax version are you using?

I must say I've found Version 6 somewhat temperamental although perhaps only because I don't consider I've learned my way around it yet.

One tip my good friend, Haytor (Tom) gave me though, was that before beginning alignment of the AVI stack but having already selected the best single frame as the reference point, go into the "Limit Set Up" at the bottom of the options panel, set the "Lowest Quality" to whatever percentage you wish, (normally 75%-85%) but then highlight "Best Frames" setting the number to 900. Since applying this to my AVIs, version 6 appears to have settled down so far as I have been able to tell.

Maybe this will overcome your problem. If not, you could download the earlier Version 5, with which I've certainly never had any trouble. (I still have Version 3,4,5 available to me) !

Perhaps Tom will comment further but if I remember correctly, he too was once having problems with Version 6 and, as a result, got in touch with Registax's producer, Cor Berrevoets to resolve them.

Hoping this helps,
Best regards,
Tel

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #5241854 - 05/27/12 09:17 AM

Nice work on the Saturn images Tim and Tel.

Tel i cannot add much to what you have already mentioned about Registax 6 for Tim, you covered it very well.

regards,

Tom

TmaninTn
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: haytor]
      #5242627 - 05/27/12 06:07 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

I took your advice Tel, and thanks a lot! So far I've been able to get some more data to come out. I still need to better understand the other parameters so I can get more out of it, but this seemed to take care of the freezing issue.

To Haytor- what do you usually set everything at for your alignpoint parameters and -if using the region of interest setting- what do you set those at for your best results?

I think I have the stacking part ok and I'm getting used to the wavelets as well- which are wayyyy better in Reg6 than any other previous version.

Here's the upgraded version-and incidentally the bigger sunspot in this pictures is AR1492, which emitted a C-class flare yesterday. Here's a youtube from Nasa's solar observatory of the flare in question.

Tel
Postmaster

#5243221 - 05/28/12 02:24 AM

Hi Tim,

I'm glad you've resolved your "Registax" problem.

That's a very nice 3D sunspot effect on the new image ! !

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (05/28/12 07:42 AM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #5243364 - 05/28/12 07:59 AM

Hi Tim,

firstly, thats a much better process you did there with the settings Tel gave you, the umbra and penumbra of the sun spots showing more clearly, nice job.

Here is a registax 6 screen shot showing what settings i use for planetary captures,as you can see the setting i use for Alignment parameters is set to 3X3, i dont use the set alignment points tab at the top, i much prefer to set my align points manually by simply clicking on points on the target, in the case of this old Jupiter AVI i chose 3 points as you can see, but it could be more or less!

I also set the quality setting to 90% then chose the "best frames" option, in this case i chose 900 best frames, but what figure you enter here is up to you, its not set in stone, if the AVI is of really good quality then chose a higher setting for best frames, if not then a lower figure can be entered, the lowest best frames settings i have used is 600 frames.

As too using the region of interest option, i have not really used it, so cannot comment or offer any advice, i have not used Registax 6 that much really, since i have done no lunar ,solar or planetary for quite a while now.

While the setting on this screen shot worked very well for me on planets, i cannot say for sure how they will work on lunar or solar, but give them a go and see if it helps.

best regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (05/28/12 09:03 AM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: haytor]
      #5243799 - 05/28/12 12:28 PM

I hate Registax. Just can't get it to work and completely bound to what Registax needs than the other way.

Arctic_Eddie
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/30/07

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
      #5243839 - 05/28/12 12:44 PM

Don't forget the alternative, AVIStack.

http://www.avistack.de/

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Arctic_Eddie]
      #5245236 - 05/29/12 08:45 AM

Yeah Eddie, I use and like Avistack. Simple and easy.

Mgauthier

Reged: 04/07/12

#5245266 - 05/29/12 09:12 AM Attachment (36 downloads)

My first attempts at AP were haphazard to the point that I often forgot or failed to record just what I was trying to image, and I quickly realized I didn't know what I was doing, but I did eventually get some pictures from my 5se that I would call... pictures.

For example, here is one of the pictures of a cluster I failed to identify in any meaningful fashion. This is a 15 second exposure at iso 6400 with a little bit of levels work in GIMP. If memory serves it is the first picture I considered acceptable as a first picture.

Mgauthier

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Mgauthier]
      #5245271 - 05/29/12 09:14 AM Attachment (46 downloads)

And my first experiment at stacking images: M81 and M82 (I think), a total of 23 minutes or so of 30 second exposures at iso 1600 and iso 3200.

I didn't want to crop the image for fear of losing out on so many stars outside of the resulting rectangular frame.

Edited by Mgauthier (05/29/12 09:15 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5245850 - 05/29/12 03:34 PM

Hi Mgauthier,
Well done with your first attempt at imaging. The open cluster looks a lot like M37 in Auriga, although from my location, at this time of the year, it is very low in the West come twilight.

Regards. Peter.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5246106 - 05/29/12 06:09 PM

Hi Mgauthier,

OK, get me oriented to your last image. I can see M81 and M82. Very cool. But I don't understand the strange framing. Did you do the images piggyback with just your camera (if so, what lens?) or prime focus through your telescope? Pardon my confusion.

Mgauthier

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Skip]
      #5246302 - 05/29/12 08:28 PM

Yes, sorry, the pictures were taken prime focus with a 1.25" t-thread adapter and the 0.63f reducer/corrector. DSS offers options for cropping the final image, but for experimentation's sake ("I wonder what this does...") I turned it off. I found that, even though I don't get all the clarity from the fully-stacked centers of the frames, I liked being able to see more of the star field at the periphery.

I wish it was, in fact, "very cool." Unfortunately I've already read through this thread. :P Even so, when I first saw the faint fuzziness around what turned out to be M81 a few nights previously, I was blown away.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5251702 - 06/02/12 08:37 AM

Keep at it. Your attempts are much much better than mine for a start.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
      #5258288 - 06/06/12 01:09 PM

Well, since this was taken on a Nexstar 5SE, I guess it belongs here. Transit of Venus, of course:

-Dan

Pages: << 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 59288

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics