Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | >> (show all)
Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Skip]
      #5345045 - 07/31/12 11:10 AM

Wonderful image of the Moon Skip, well done. I have tried in both Sharpcap as well as AmCap and find for some reason, the AmCap gives out a better image.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5345548 - 07/31/12 03:39 PM

Thanks guys. As I said, your comments, good or bad, are always welcome. If you've got criticism, please fire away. I know I've got a long way to go and I want to learn. I'm not especially sensitive.

Now, how about that orange color? What is causing that? It looks orange in the software preview window - both Craterlet and SharpCap. And, as you can see, it came out orange in the stacked image as well. I used Photoshop to make it black, white, and gray.

There is no "exposure" adjustment in either software. I assume "gain" accomplishes the same thing. In the SharpCap image I had gain set to 0, or close to it.

Last question: would a neutral density filter work? I have one of those. Do not have an IR filter. I did notice that there are threads where I can screw in a filter in the nose piece of the camera.

Art Dent: I agree that last one is over-processed. I did it purposely to try to bring up some detail. If my original image had supported it, I would not have used so much sharpening. Thanks for your comment and please don't hesitate to fire away - I'll try to keep my head down so it won't be fatal!

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5345694 - 07/31/12 05:05 PM

Hi Skip,

On "Craterlet", if you connect your Neximage and then press "Setup Camera", it will take you to "Properties": subdivided into "General", "Picture" and "Audio".

In "General", give yourself a "Flickerless Image", by setting your Hertz frequency to the US 60Hz. Leave all other settings at the default.

Now go to the top of the page and press "Picture".

Adjust the frame rate to, say, 10-15fps. (High frame rates cause image compression and thus unwanted artefacts).

Leave the "Auto-exposure" "Off" and move the "Shutter Speed" slider, (which, funnily enough despite its name, controls your exposure), until you see your target on screen.

You may have to increase the "Gain" to say 70%, (recommended setting), to view it, but play around with these settings until you're roughly satisfied with the image on screen.

Make sure you have the "Gamma" set to zero but do play with the "Contrast/ Brightness" settings, viewing all the time, what is happening on screen as you make your adjustments. Above all, don't let any over exposed, "white-outs" creep into your pre-capture image.

As to the orange colour, I'd recommend that in these initial stages, you dispense with colour. Switch to "Black/White" for now. (Alternatively, if you want to play with colour, reduce the "Saturation".

When you're happy with your 'screen image, ignore Audio and just press OK.

If however, you need to adjust further, merely go back into "Setup Camera" and then to "Picture". Take your time: it's not easy and any evening may promote different settings.

Then, when you're ready and you've named your potential capture, set the size of your image to 640 X 400 by pressing "Mode", switched to "Capture AVI Video" and entered the duration of the AVI you're about to make, hit the "Start Capture" tab.

You are now in the lap of the Gods !

As to filters, I don't know about the use of a neutral density filter in this case, but certainly your Neximage should have an "on-board" IR filter. Check to see whether there is one supplied, (up against the chip ?). If not, you really do need to buy one.

I can take you through "SharpCap" if you wish , Skip, but personally, I find Craterlet the better of the two. Perhaps give "Craterlet" another whirl ?

Hoping this helps,

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (07/31/12 05:12 PM)

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Tel]
      #5345708 - 07/31/12 05:12 PM

I know nothing of AP, but regardless....

I cant wait to see your future images once you get the kinks worked out Skip.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #5345892 - 07/31/12 07:27 PM

Hi Matt,
Thanks. You can rest assured that I'll be posting my attempts here as this is where I get the most help.
Best, Skip

Hi Tel,
Well, old pal, how do you put up with me! I think these are almost the same instructions you sent me in a private email about a week ago. I failed to print them out and thought about it after I was all set up and ready to go. I told myself that I could remember all of it no problem. HA!

I completely forgot about Gain at 70%, Shutter speed being the same as exposure, and Gamma at zero. Next time out I'm gonna have this info printed as a little checklist (old pilot you know) and use it!

Thanks so much my friend,

Tel
Postmaster

#5346369 - 08/01/12 03:10 AM

Hi Skip, No problem, my friend.

The main thing to remember is to get the best focus you can, given the nature of the atmosphere on the night, and that your screen image shows no "white out". If it does, try moving the "Contrast" slider rather than the "Gain" but again, it's all a compromise.

Lose any white out though ! If the image appears dim on screen, post capture processing wil bring up the contrast but, if it's over contrasted to begin with, there's no going back !

Best regards,
Tel

BTW. I was talking to Haytor, (Tom), last night on the 'phone, and, in passing, he asked whether you were using a Barlow. I said I thought not, judging from the scale of your images but.... ? If you were however, I would tend to steer clear of using one ... just for the time being.

Tel
Postmaster

#5346465 - 08/01/12 06:11 AM Attachment (37 downloads)

Incidentally, Skip, if you're using a Neximage "5", it does have an inbuilt IR filter. I'm not sure though about the original, now discontinued unit. I've find reference to the former but not the to the latter model.

Best regards,
Tel

BTW: Couldn't resist !

Edited by Tel (08/01/12 06:19 AM)

Skip
Starlifter Driver

#5346879 - 08/01/12 12:00 PM

Hi Tel,

Yes I noticed in the specs for the NexImage 5 that it has an IR filter. But since I "inherited" this older version, I have no idea whether that is the case.

Oh and you are correct, no barlow. As you said, I plan to leave that out until I get more comfortable with what I'm doing. It would be just another variable inserted into the equation. There is enough to be concerned with as it is. I'm not going for "excellence" in my images (yet ), just trying to get something useable and get the procedure down.

As always, thanks a bunch for your help.

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
      #5397745 - 09/01/12 08:22 AM Attachment (35 downloads)

Jupiter tonight. Finally got a uv/ir cut filter for my DBK21. I am pretty pleased.NS8SE stock configuration.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #5397912 - 09/01/12 11:05 AM

Great imaging, Andrew, "Great Red Spot" too ! Many congratulations !

Best regards,
Tel

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
      #5398276 - 09/01/12 02:56 PM

Andrew, that's the best Jupiter I've seen to date.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Raginar]
      #5398304 - 09/01/12 03:12 PM Attachment (23 downloads)

It really is an excellent image, Andrew, with a lot of great detail in it. As such, I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist a "play" with it.

I hope you don't mind (?)

Best regards,
Tel

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
      #5398326 - 09/01/12 03:37 PM

Thanks guys! I was very happy with the results. I love the retouch Tel, original was a little heavy in the red channel. Several things were apparent last night. I need a 3x barlow, a motorized focuser (think I will build that one), and I might end up getting a flip mirror system to save some time.

I generally use EQ mounts, but last night I wanted easy setup and tear down, so I put the OTA back on the oringal mount. NS8SE is still one of the best values out there.

regards,
Andy

kc5vkg

Reged: 08/12/10

Loc: Kansas
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: ourobouros2k2]
      #5400255 - 09/02/12 09:45 PM

Quote:

Several things were apparent last night. I need a 3x barlow, a motorized focuser (think I will build that one), and I might end up getting a flip mirror system to save some time.

To which motorized focuser do you refer? I found one here in the forums a while back that looked interesting, but DOH! Silly me I forgot to bookmark it. In one of the steps he delt with filing a notch in the "ring" they used when they built it (I believe it was an optional setting circle and fit perfectly over the focuser of an 8SE) . Sorry I can't be more specific, but if anyone could help me relocate that thread it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance...

kc5vkg

Reged: 08/12/10

Loc: Kansas
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: kc5vkg]
      #5400298 - 09/02/12 10:23 PM

Forget my previous post....not long after I posted my question, a new post was made to the thread I was looking for and BUMPED it to the top Here's the thread of anyone is interested.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5038166/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/4#Post5399883

Thanks guys....Clear skys!!

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: kc5vkg]
      #5400519 - 09/03/12 02:51 AM

Awesome image of Jupiter, well done Andrew and Tel's result too is great, provides another perspective.

nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5404894 - 09/05/12 01:26 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Hi Everybody
I live in cold Western Canada and to keep things going in the winter I use my 8SE on my deck remotely controlled by Cartes de Ciel and a Mallincam Xtreme for imaging ( also remotely controlled). This setup allows me to keep toasty warm in my house when the the temperature drops to -28 Deg C. While my trusty 8SE hums away on the deck with the Xtreme camera taking images as I star hop along around the Cartes de Ciel atlas.
Here are some images I took on Sept 3rd testing everything out.The images vary from 20 sec exposures down to 8 sec exposures and are stacked with Registax.
Alhtough the 8 se is not considered a deep sky imaging platform when the weather gets cold up here it works great!
John

nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: nomosnow]
      #5404898 - 09/05/12 01:28 PM Attachment (20 downloads)

M27

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: nomosnow]
      #5404922 - 09/05/12 01:43 PM

Hi John and welcome to the Nexstar forum.

The 8se never ceases to amaze.

Those are two high quality images John.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar [Re: Peter9]
      #5404951 - 09/05/12 01:58 PM

Hi John, Superb imaging with great detail irrespective of the known exposure time limitations associated with the 8SE's Alt./Az. mount !

(I assume both were captured from the standard Alt./Az. mount) ?

Best regards,
Tel

BTW: Maybe I missed the title, but what was the first image ? Was it part of the Veil Nebula ?

Pages: << 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56032

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics