Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | >> (show all)
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Pete GLA]
      #5411222 - 09/09/12 07:13 AM

Captured well, Pete !

I wonder what that star was that it looks as if the Moon was about to occult ?

Best regards,
Tel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Pete GLA]
      #5411225 - 09/09/12 07:14 AM

Evening Pete, although its just gone noon here.

Thats a great shot of the eclipse of 08.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Peter9]
      #5411499 - 09/09/12 11:34 AM

Quote:

They are a lovely set of image. Hard to believe that they were taken with a standard 8se.
There has been some fine quality images taken with the 8se and yours are right up there with the best.

Well done indeed.

Regards. Peter.

Thanks very much for your kind comments. I think that the 8SE can be a fine platform for deepsky astro imaging. I use a focal reducer and a sensitive camera but I do no polar alignments and no guiding .
Sometimes keeping things simple can be a viable alternative.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: nomosnow]
      #5411673 - 09/09/12 01:38 PM

Hi Nomosnow,

Many thanks for posting.

There's the making of some great images there considering as you say, the platform from which they've been captured, but like so many uncooled or mildly cooled CCD cameras, the Mallincam appears to suffer from somewhat excessive Amp Glow; the very bright area which appears in some of the images top left. This is however normally removed quite easily by applying "Dark Frames".

I gather from the literature, that the Mallincam Xtreme comes with its own software. Presumably "Dark Frame " subtraction is part and parcel of this. (?) If so, it's well worth applying.

On the other hand, I'm sure there is other software around which will support the Mallincam and contain this important feature.

What do you think ?

Best regards,
Tel

Mgauthier

Reged: 04/07/12

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Tel]
      #5412016 - 09/09/12 05:40 PM Attachment (40 downloads)

I had my new 102 SLT out a few nights last week when the moistness and thunder of the past three weeks finally subsided. I just sat and stared at the wide field views for most of that time. My 5se never showed me such views, for some reason. The focal ratio with the reducer wasn't all that different. Anyway, on the second night I managed to take a few shots before I switched back to visual so family members could see.

I nudged the camera and telescope more than a few times while struggling to find an ultra super crazy-bright object to focus on with Live View, but I think this first image contains M52 in the lower central field. The cluster has a sort of thin, backwards, bent, uppercase L made of bright stars which I also saw in the picture on the wikipedia article.

Edited by Mgauthier (09/09/12 05:47 PM)

Mgauthier

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Mgauthier]
      #5412025 - 09/09/12 05:46 PM Attachment (36 downloads)

And this is supposed to be something the HC called Cluster Number 7, or Number 7 Cluster. I don't quite remember. I must confess, I don't see the purported Number 7 in these stars. I think I may have knocked the telescope out of alignment when I took this picture. Because my camera's Live View shows me essentially nothing but the brightest handful of stars in the whole sky, I was-and-am-always shooting blind.

EDIT: The M52 shot is seven 4 second shots at ISO 800 stacked in DSS. The Number7 shot is something like thirty 4 second shots at ISO 800 stacked in DSS. I hastily fiddled with contrast/brightness in GIMP for these tiny web versions. The originals are cleaner but darker.

Edited by Mgauthier (09/09/12 05:52 PM)

nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
      #5412089 - 09/09/12 06:48 PM

Quote:

Hi Nomosnow,

Many thanks for posting.

There's the making of some great images there considering as you say, the platform from which they've been captured, but like so many uncooled or mildly cooled CCD cameras, the Mallincam appears to suffer from somewhat excessive Amp Glow; the very bright area which appears in some of the images top left. This is however normally removed quite easily by applying "Dark Frames".

I gather from the literature, that the Mallincam Xtreme comes with its own software. Presumably "Dark Frame " subtraction is part and parcel of this. (?) If so, it's well worth applying.

On the other hand, I'm sure there is other software around which will support the Mallincam and contain this important feature.

What do you think ?

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
The Mallincam Xtreme is primarily designed as a live viewing platform so it's software does not containg dark frame subtraction.
But that being said the camera is super sensitive allowing faint details to be captured with only 14 second exposures at about F-5 ( I use the Meade f 3.3 focal reducer).
As you can imagine going much longer the 14 seconds at 1000 mm focal length is just not possible with a Nexstar mount.
But I will look into dark frame subtraction in the future and will see how it works . Thanks again for your interest in my images.
John

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5419045 - 09/13/12 12:06 PM

Some lovely images Mgauthier. A bit of focus issue and trailing but nothing that can't be fixed in your next imaging session.

Mgauthier

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5419544 - 09/13/12 04:56 PM

Thanks, Maverick.

I've been trying to capture diffuse objects. The biggest challenge I've run into is processing the images after they're stacked. DSS keeps giving me very grey final images seemingly regardless of what stacking parameters and settings I use, and fixing the contrast and color is proving difficult. Advice would be appreciated.

Star trailing wasn't as bad this time around, I think. I realized- and I think I probably read this here somewhere- that if I just waited a minute or two the mount would take up the slop in the gears. At least I think that's what's happening.

Dumbbell Nebula:

NGC 7023:

Double Cluster, the best of the batch in my opinion.

Full Size PNG

Edited by Mgauthier (09/13/12 05:07 PM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #5420517 - 09/14/12 07:48 AM

Hi Mgautheir,

I`ve never used DSS for stacking, i use Nebulosity for aligning and stacking.

The only advice i could possibly offer you is to take care when using levels, i downloaded your image of the Dumbell as i thought your background sky was too dark, as too the other images you presented, to my mind the background sky should not be as black as is shown in these images.

Having downloaded your Dumbell, i popped it into Photoshop,called up the levels to find the black point hard up against the left hand side, see atached screen shot.by clipping the dark point in this way, you are actually loosing data. I always try to keep the dark pointer to the left of the dark point peak.

Agree your double cluster is the best of the three, nice work, but as said take care when adjusting levels so as not to clip the black point.

hope this advice is of some use.

best regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (09/14/12 07:50 AM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5420693 - 09/14/12 10:16 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

Very good work on NGC 869. DSS will always show you the final stack in grey. You can use saturation between 9-20 percent, however, the final color and detail is obtained by processing through Photoshop or equivalent software. So don't worry if the image is greyed out in the beginning. Also the signal to detail depends on how long your exposures are and I am not sure if extremely short exposures can help obtain detail even if you take 100's of them. Only the noise will increase but detail? not by much. This has been my experience when I started out. I guess stacking subs of 25 secs or more yield much more satisfactory signal to image detail.

Irrespective, you are moving along well and continue with what your mount has to offer.

Mgauthier

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: haytor]
      #5420700 - 09/14/12 10:20 AM

I see what you're saying about losing data, Tom- I could definitely see more of the dumbbell and 7023 with the sky brighter. I pushed the levels so far because the background was full of noise.

If I can find some place to post the original pre-stacked images of, say, ngc7023, could one of you process them? I'm curious to see what someone with experience could do with the data. The individual frames are rather large.

The Double Cluster was stacked from 8 second exposures at ISO1600. The NGC 7023 image was stacked from fifty subs of 30 second at ISO 1600. I have dark frames, but they didn't seem to help any. I have no flat or bias frames.

On another note, I think this Nexstar 102 SLT is a keeper. Maybe it took this long and two previous aborted telescope purchases for me to learn what I needed to know in order to make use of the telescope I have now, but It's given me several nights of good observing so far, and the mount has an air of confidence about it. Funny thing is that I was so displeased by all the little cosmetic faults with it when I first bought it. It definitely doesn't have the cosmetic fit and finish of the Nexstar SE's.

Edited by Mgauthier (09/14/12 10:33 AM)

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #5420724 - 09/14/12 10:47 AM

Hi Mgauthier,

Yes i see your point now of why you used levels to hide the noise in your images,do you have photoshop??. if so, theres a niffty little plug in you can download for free, called "Ximagic denoiser", that will remove the noise, it works very well and i use that plug in when needed to remove noise from my own images.

If you do have photoshop, then simply type into your browser "photoshop plug in Ximagic denoiser" this should find you a link to download it.

regards,

Tom.

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: haytor]
      #5429461 - 09/19/12 03:53 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

I've been trying to use my old 5i to do some DSO photography had to ask our DSLR group to help me work with getting my stacked work from DSS to PS Elements6 so I could try a little extra processing, as you know they would they were able to get me sorted out. I know I'll be able to get more refined shots once I practice I know the 5i won't let me down I just have to work within its' limits and mine.
Be Well
Grey

Tel
Postmaster

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5429636 - 09/19/12 06:01 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Congratulations on a fine image, Grey.

Paying heed to what Tom was saying above though, it is a tad noisy which, if "Xmagic Denoiser" is compatible with your processing software, (P/Shop?), you might like to download to good effect.

Here's an example of that effect on your above image. Note how it smooths out that background sky without the need to overdarken to mask noise and stratification.

Hoping it may be of use to you,

Best regards,
Tel

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

#5429709 - 09/19/12 06:47 PM

Tel
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll try Xmagic Denoiser and see how it helps. I'm using a small laptop now and have to get out to the observatory where the better monitor is.
Be Well
Grey

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5430818 - 09/20/12 12:14 PM

Nice image, though it should read as M31/110.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5431060 - 09/20/12 02:22 PM

Haseeb, I'd say M31 nad M32. But I suppose it is arguable. When all you can see is the core of M31, M32 seems to be quite a way away.

Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

#5431534 - 09/20/12 07:25 PM

Grabbed two more last night and this time just M31. Went for
30X30 sec. one set @ 3200 and one at 6400. I know my processing skills rate at the bottom of the learning skills curve but the results pleased me.
Thanks for the advice and support.

Be Well
Grey

Tel
Postmaster

#5432134 - 09/21/12 04:57 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Hi Grey,

You're continuing to get some great images but, despite the limitations the Alt./Az. mount imposes, there is still quite a lot of detail, (dust lanes in this particular case), within them yet uncovered. as perhaps my idle hands have managed to do with your latest ?

Keep plugging away at the processing !

Many congratulations !

Best regards,
Tel

Pages: << 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56034

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics