Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | >> (show all)
Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Tel]
      #5432418 - 09/21/12 10:21 AM

Tel
It real nice that you took the time to do some additional processing on my last photo. It means a great deal to me to be able to see what someone with your experience can do with the data. I feel I'm beginning to believe I can do AP and get pleasing results( with more work on processing)
The local college has had an exhibition on the art of AP going on since June and I've visited several times and hope more people will see it before it closes in Dec.
Be Well
Grey

Edited by Greyhaven (09/21/12 10:25 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nomosnow
sage

Reged: 03/21/11

Loc: Fort Saskatchewan,Ab ,Canada
      #5433660 - 09/21/12 11:37 PM Attachment (76 downloads)

As I have posted before I use an 8se ,a Meade F3.3 focal reducer and a Mallincam Xtreme as my imaging setup for cold weather conditions.
An Alti-Azimuth mount is not the best choice for deep sky imaging but...I have been impressed with what I can see and record.
I processed this image ( M27) with deep sky stacker ( first time use for me)
Used 25 lights and 14 darks all exposed for 14 seconds . Thanks for viewing my image and of course all comments are welcomed.

nomosnow
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: nomosnow]
      #5434133 - 09/22/12 10:12 AM Attachment (57 downloads)

M27 amp glow removed

nomosnow
sage

#5434140 - 09/22/12 10:16 AM Attachment (48 downloads)

ngc6992 a stack of 22 frames ,with dark frame subtraction.

Edited by nomosnow (09/22/12 02:24 PM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Skip]
      #5434274 - 09/22/12 11:42 AM

Quote:

Haseeb, I'd say M31 nad M32. But I suppose it is arguable. When all you can see is the core of M31, M32 seems to be quite a way away.

At first I assumed it was M 32 then edited to M 110.

nomosnow
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5434753 - 09/22/12 04:51 PM Attachment (44 downloads)

Here is the Western portion of the Veil Nebula ngc6960 . I composed it to show the nebula that is just above 52 Cygni.
The image was taken with my 8 SE and it's original mount.

ourobouros2k2
sage

Reged: 11/10/11

Loc: okc area, oklahoma
      #5435010 - 09/22/12 08:01 PM

Awesome shots! I too have a mallincam, older hyper color and have been amazed with it's performance with the 8se. I am hoping to add a hyperstar setup in the future

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5435452 - 09/23/12 03:20 AM

Quote:

Tel
It real nice that you took the time to do some additional processing on my last photo. It means a great deal to me to be able to see what someone with your experience can do with the data. I feel I'm beginning to believe I can do AP and get pleasing results( with more work on processing)
The local college has had an exhibition on the art of AP going on since June and I've visited several times and hope more people will see it before it closes in Dec.
Be Well
Grey

Hi Grey,

Not at all, it's my pleasure because although I might by now know a little of post capture processing procedures, I am definitely still learning. In fact, a couple of our UK magazines have been running P/Shop tutorials recently and so I confess to being guilty of purloining my good friend's and colleagues' images for practice. !

Your images certainly have great potential with which to work.

As with the progressive acquisition of imaging hardware, (scopes, cameras, focal reducers, mounts, etc.), it's however equally important to invest at some stage in some good processing software, otherwise good work goes begging. With such "equipment" the ability to manipulate the data contained raw images is soon acquired.

Best regards, and "keep 'em coming !
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#5435479 - 09/23/12 04:01 AM Attachment (33 downloads)

Hi Nomosnow,

Congratulations on some very fine images ! It's all very much coming together for you !

As I mentioned to Grey,though, don't forget that post capture processes are equally as important as the capture itself and thus, it's worth investing in some good software otherwise it is difficult to extract all the potential data imformation contained in the image.

Your above Western Veil image for example, contains a lot of such potential but with somewhat of a red/green mottled backgound. I took the liberty of trying to dispense with it using P/shop CS2. I hope it perhaps demonstrates a successful outcome and thus the importance of having a suitable processing piece of software.

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5435490 - 09/23/12 04:21 AM

Once again we are being treated to some great images and processing. Keep em coming lads.

Thanks for posting

Regards. Peter.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Peter9]
      #5435781 - 09/23/12 10:03 AM

Yep, great images and some great processing as well.

nomosnow
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5436029 - 09/23/12 12:38 PM

Hi Tel
Thanks very much for your support on my learning experience in post processing. Also thanks for cleaning up my image.
Do you have any recommendations as to to the image processing software I should purchase. I see you used Adobe software is that a special astronomy addition?
Thanks again John

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5436416 - 09/23/12 03:50 PM

I finally got back out for some moon imaging last night. This imaging stuff is very frustrating. I still can't find the right balance of light/dark on the quarter moon. I has to be my handling of the capture software (Craterlet in last night's case). Others are getting good results, so it has to be me. Then to make matters worse, my alignment must have been sloppy. I'm finding my normal sloppy alignment procedures just do not work for imaging. The telescope was drifting and I had to keep slewing it back into position. That is an exercise in frustration and leads to bad captures. Both of these images were through my 6SE using the NexImage camera and Craterlet capture software. Seeing was about 2/5 or 3/5. LP was bad in the moon's area of the sky.

Here are the results from my efforts:

This is a stack of 500 frames stacked in Registax6 with minor wavelet treatment; finished in PS4 with minor tweaking. Each image started with 1200 frames; R6 reduced it to 500.

Here's another with same stats.

I spent about an hour on each trying to do the processing - but if you don't start with a decent capture, well, you can't get a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5436558 - 09/23/12 05:15 PM

Well, I think I've figured out why my 6SE had such a problem trying to track the moon. I entered the wrong date. 9/20 instead of 9/21.

Also, maybe I need to frame the image a little differently. Move the terminator over to the right side of the image so I don't have such a big contrast between the bright and the dark?

Next time... next time!

EDIT: Ooops! I meant 9/21 instead of 9/22.

Edited by Skip (09/23/12 05:16 PM)

Tel
Postmaster

#5437494 - 09/24/12 05:37 AM

Coming on nicely, Skip !

A little less contrast at the capture perhaps ? More contrast, if need be, can always be added at the post capture, processing stage.

Keep the image on screen, like me : on the dim side !

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#5437513 - 09/24/12 05:58 AM Attachment (22 downloads)

Quote:

Hi Tel
Thanks very much for your support on my learning experience in post processing. Also thanks for cleaning up my image.
Do you have any recommendations as to to the image processing software I should purchase. I see you used Adobe software is that a special astronomy addition?
Thanks again John

Hi John,

As I'm sure you appreciate, there are many good image processing pieces of software out there on the market: P/Shop, Maxim DL etc. It all depends on what you want to spend, (bearing in mind that processing software is as equally important to have as your camera itself). However, I certainly wouldn't go over the top in paying for features one is very unlikely to use.

My own P/Shop package is/was the very basic CS2 which offers, I think, not too much more in features/tools than P/Shop Elements. Maxim DL on the other hand, I believe is very expensive.

If I were you, therefore, I'd be inclined to firstly exhaust the possibilities that something like freeware GIMP has to offer. There's a lot of good features on it which provide for good processing practice.

To illustrate, I took your original image and passd it through GIMP this morning. My processing in such short time is by no means great by any stretch of the imagination but I'm sure it demonstrates the potential of this free package.

Try it perhaps if you have not already done so ?

Hoping this helps,
Best regards,
Tel

(P.S. Start with Levels, Curves, Hue and Saturation, under the "Colour" tab. You'll be surprised I'm sure what these simple tools can do to enhance your images) !

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5437546 - 09/24/12 07:08 AM

Quote:

Well, I think I've figured out why my 6SE had such a problem trying to track the moon. I entered the wrong date. 9/20 instead of 9/21.

Also, maybe I need to frame the image a little differently. Move the terminator over to the right side of the image so I don't have such a big contrast between the bright and the dark?

Next time... next time!

EDIT: Ooops! I meant 9/21 instead of 9/22.

Join the club Skip.

Those are two really good images by the way Skip.

You should pat yourself on the back, not beat yourself up.

Well done.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: Peter9]
      #5437641 - 09/24/12 08:45 AM

Hi John, i like very much what your producing image wise, some nice data you got for sure.Processing software can be quite expensive as Tel has pointed out, i would imagine that a copy Photoshop CS2 might well turn out cheaper now compared to when it first came out, so i would suggest searching the web and see just how much it is now to purchase. The advantage of such software ie, photoshop, is that theres quite a few free plug ins that can be downloaded and utilized to good advantage.

I notice the green cast in your images above,Photoshop has a niffty free plug in for removing that green cast, its called HLVG, it goes into the filter section and is very easy to use, it has three settings ,weak, medium,and strong, simply apply each opition to determine which strength is needed to remove the green cast.

Other than that and as Tel has already mentioned, Gimp is free processing software, but personally i`ve never tried it so cannot give an opinion as to how good it is.

I think also there`s another free piece of software called "Paint.net" which like photoshop will at least give you levels and curves that you could also try.

best wishes,

Tom.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: haytor]
      #5437665 - 09/24/12 09:00 AM

Hi Skip, most certainly give yourself a pat on the back, your earley attempts at lunar imaging is far more advanced at this stage, compared to my early attempts so very well done.

As for the contrast in lunar imaging, i would suppport Tel`s thinking, in that, keeping the lunar view on the preview screen when capturing, a little on the dim side. The reason i say that, is because i had better results when doing so, i found that while individual frames looked ok on screen, they suddenly became over saturated in brightness and contrast once stacked in registax, its easier as Tel said, to add brightness and contrast at the post processing stage.

Still , looking good matey,and BTW, frustration is part and parcel of the learning curve, if your frustrated now, well,just try not to go bonkers like me

best regards,

Tom

nomosnow
sage

Re: AP Images Taken with Original NexStar new [Re: haytor]
      #5438107 - 09/24/12 01:31 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

Thanks Tel for your great advice on the processing software . I will try some freeware as you suggest. Here are a couple of images I processed with DSS first M15 then M33.
M33 was a tough one!!

Pages: << 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | >> (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56086

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics