Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | >> (show all)
Uggbits
sage

Reged: 04/28/10

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: haytor]
      #5869739 - 05/18/13 05:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! I think I already went over this, but the telescope equipment is owned by my chapter of the Royal Astronomical Society, of which I am a member of the technical committee. I have lots more to post, just haven't been on the right computer to do it (these were just warm up images).

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Uggbits
sage

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Uggbits]
      #5870455 - 05/18/13 10:54 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Alright guys, I'm going throw some images at you. Here is the last of the data from back in March that I have to post. This along with M63 and M64 were all done in the same night, but I spent the longest on M101.

This is 1h of 5 minute exposures of M101 through a Televue 127is guided on a Paramount ME with a QSI 583c. The image was processed and annotated in Pixinsight, and I will be posting two images: a full frame at reduced resolution, and a crop.

Uggbits
sage

#5870456 - 05/18/13 10:54 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Here is the crop.

Uggbits
sage

#5870527 - 05/18/13 11:49 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Alright, now lets get into this past week. I said my friend and I had finally made progress with a tracking error we have been experiencing with the mount. The result is that the stars are might tighter, although the underlying drift has not been resolved. Current drift is around 10px every 5 minutes at 3800mm which is why it isn't readily apparent in the Televue images I post.

This is 1h55m of 5 minute exposures of the Sunflower Galaxy (M63)taken with a Meade 14" SCT at f10, guided on a Paramount ME and captured with a QSI 583C @-10*C. I intentionally posted the image of the Sunflower captured through the Televue in March to show the difference in reach that can be gained using larger optics with a long focal length. Although the Televue is a beautiful scope, and the Meade is at times thought of as a blunt instrument (this may be partially due to the historically poor tracking) the SCT can pull in an abundance of photons.

This image was processed in Pixinsight, and I can attest to the difficulty of working with such a galaxy. The structure while a spiral, lacks the grand design features found in targets like M51 and M101. As a result processing is a very careful process that ensures the visibility of both small scale, and overall structure.

I hope you like this one! (Still more to come)

Dan

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5880630 - 05/23/13 04:11 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Hi Folks,

From what I can tell, the attached emission nebula doesn't seem to be one which is particularly well known and thus subject to regular imaging. Nevertheless I do think it has an appeal great enough to make an attempt worthwhile. It is categorised as NGC7822 / Sharpless 171 and lies in the constellation of Cepheus.

'Scope: 4" (102mm) f/5.9 achromatic refractor with X 0.5 reducer and semi-apo filter attached.

Guide 'scope: Celestron Nexstar 8i OTA at f/3.3 (Meade f/3.3 FR attached).

Both 'scopes mounted side by side on a "Gemini" bar and, in turn, on a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro. GEM.

Imaging Camera: Atik 314L. monochrome.

Guide Camera: Meade DSI Mk.1

8 X 10 minute subs in Ha. No darks, flats or bias.* Atik Camera running at -17 Celsius.

* (I had also aimed to collect a number of subs using Olll with the intention of colorizing the image using the Hubble Palette, but):

a) My tracking became irratic. (Possibly mirror flop)?

b) The single Olll sub which I was able capture, showed no extra detail beyond that which Ha had already obtained. It is now understood that the use of an S2 filter might have been more responsive.

Software: Capture and partial processing in Nebulosity 2. Further processing in Photoshop CS2.

Thank you for looking.

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Tel]
      #5880673 - 05/23/13 04:28 PM

Looks good from where I'm sat Tel. Lots of detail to feast the eye on.

Thanks for posting.

Regards Peter.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Peter9]
      #5881001 - 05/23/13 08:05 PM

Very nice capture! Lots of detail. Does it have a name ? If not I propose "The Dragon Nebula" if that is not taken.

Smittty692k4
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/05/11

Loc: East Bernard, TX
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: hopskipson]
      #5881222 - 05/23/13 10:11 PM

If you look at the bottom left and slowly move your eyes to the center, you can also feel like you are looking further.... Kinda like a tunnel. Makes for a very nice 3-D effect IMO. Very nice Tel.

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: Smittty692k4]
      #5881621 - 05/24/13 04:25 AM

Nice image, Tel..

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: ben2112]
      #5881652 - 05/24/13 06:06 AM

Very nice work Tel, and nice to see a target not normally imaged,at least until you mentioned it to me i was totally unaware of this target, one for me to try then as soon as possible,i did try for it the same night, but unlike your skies which at least allowed you to capture it, i could not hold a guide star with PHD thanks to my crummy skies.

best regards,

Tom.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: haytor]
      #5881679 - 05/24/13 06:49 AM

Many thanks, folks, for you kind comments.

Sorry you were "out of luck" with your Midland skies, Tom.

No, James, it really doesn't seem to have a name, at least according to the limited research for one I've carried out. I think therefore, we should all support your claim to be the first to name this Cephean emission nebula.

Let it therefore be known henceforth as "The Dragon Nebula" !

Many thanks once again and best regards,
Tel

BTW. Didn't Dr. Who have a fictitious interest in this nebula in the "dim and distant" ?

Just a childhood thought !

Edited by Tel (05/24/13 06:53 AM)

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Tel]
      #5885285 - 05/26/13 09:50 AM

I went out last night and grabbed some pics of Saturn. Was playing around with some resolutions.

This was done at 1280x960.

As well as this one.

I lowered it back down to 640x480 for this one which was about an hour later. Took a break after hunching over a laptop. Back gets stiff.

I am wondering if I get to a dark site and was able to barlow the camera at a higher resolution I could get more detail.

I can't wait for Jupiter to get back high in the sky this Fall/Winter. I really want to capture the GRS. Also see if I can grab some images of Mars.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: ben2112]
      #5885346 - 05/26/13 10:38 AM

Ben, How long are your avi's? The more frames you can collect the more selective you can be at stacking. Yes, a dark site and barlow will be helpful as well as proper collimation and focus. I try to use the lowest resolution to get as many pixels on the object and reduce the file size, this should also speed up the frame rate. You also want to reduce the gain as much as possible to reduce the noise. I am using the ASI210mc which lets me use firecapture. I can then check the histogram as I make adjustments to gain and exposure time. I hope this helps

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5885419 - 05/26/13 11:20 AM

James - I am getting about 1000 frames plus with each capture. But I am limited by the fps of the NI5 camera. That is down side of the NI5. If you stay with using 640x480, you can get about 30fps on the capture. Last night I was just playing around with the camera to see what I could get. Still learning with it. It just seems that anything more then 640x480 or maybe 800x600 is as high as the camera will go to get good capture videos before the frame rate drops.

edit: James, Firecapture works with the NI5 camera. Just pick Imaging Source as the camera. I'll try it out the next time I have a chance.

Edited by ben2112 (05/26/13 11:44 AM)

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5885929 - 05/26/13 05:23 PM Attachment (4 downloads)

I know with firecapture you can customize the size of the capture. I try to keep it around 250x300 and use a 2x barlow. It may be a little difficult to keep the image in the frame with the SE mount. I was capturing about 4-5000 frames and stacking around 20-2500 which really helps in poor seeing. Like I said before you'll want to keep the gain low around 50 to reduce the noise. This will force you to use longer exposures and thus reduce your capture rate. The following was with really bad seeing.

Uggbits
sage

#5886057 - 05/26/13 07:03 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Great images guys. Tel, very nice Ha shot. Ben, Hopskip, the two of you make me want to get off my ahh, posterior, and figure this whole planetary photography thing out, because those are fantastic. Ben, I know this goes against the conventions of centering, but for some reason your two off-set images make me feel like Saturn is just floating there on the edge of vision. It's an effect I don't usually get looking straight on at a planetary image so I figured I would mention it. You and Hopskip both managed to catch some remarkable detail (I'm not much of a visual observer these days, but if I can catch Cassini I'm happy... the two of you resolved every visible bit of it). Tel, I'm loving your narrowband work. Monochrome narrowband seems to add a different dimension to deep sky imaging, as it is almost like you are slicing apart an object to view one detail level. The result is strangely immersive. I look forward to trying my chops at some narrowband this Summer provided I can beg, borrow, or steal the use of a filter for a night or two.

I finally got around to compressing some images to a more appropriate size. I usually don't like doing it with Paint, but alas it is what I have. This is 1h30m of 5 minute exposures on M106 captured with a QSI583@-10*c through a Meade 14"SCT @f10 guided on a Paramount ME. It was a rather difficult image to process due to the high dynamic range between the core and the outer arms. I hope you like it!

Dan

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5886081 - 05/26/13 07:15 PM

Uggs thanks for the complements. Your work-art is amazing and some day I hope to match. Beautiful M106

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

#5886157 - 05/26/13 08:09 PM

Agreed.. Uggs, your images are amazing.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #5886252 - 05/26/13 09:34 PM

Nice going Ben and James, nicely detailed Saturn images, Ben i very much like the top image, nice and crisp and the "C" div looks excellent.

James for bad seeing you pulled out a lovely image, many congrats to you both.

Dan, that M106 blows my socks off, really well detailed throughout.

best regards,

Tom.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: haytor]
      #5886633 - 05/27/13 07:27 AM

More fantastic pictures being produced on this thread. It really is great imaging. Many thanks and keep them coming.

Tom, I hope your socks do not get Blown off in my general direction.

Regards. Peter.

Pages: << 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 83473

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics