Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | >> (show all)
haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Peter9]
      #5886667 - 05/27/13 08:39 AM

Peter, at least it was only my socks that got blown off, i could have said my pants,

For the first time in ages i had a good night last night condition wise, only packed in imaging because the dawn came up.

Went for a first time target for me, IC5070 the Pelican Nebula, managed to get 3 hours on this target made up of 18 X 10 minute subs in mono Ha.Plus darks.

Equipment used...Skywatcher ED80 DS PRO refractor with 0.85 reducer to give me about f/6.3.

Heq5 goto mount

Camera, Atik 314E mono ccd.Manual filter wheel using a 7nm Baader Ha filter.

Guiding with a Mark 1 DSIc ccd and piggybacked Skywatcher ST80.

Thanks for looking,

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (05/28/13 11:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: haytor]
      #5886964 - 05/27/13 11:56 AM Attachment (18 downloads)

Excellent, Tom !

It's really good to hear that at last, the weather gave you a break !

It was also pretty clear down here in the South last night, so I thought I'd try my hand at the ol' "Wizard" (NGC 7380), once again, but this time, not only capture in Ha but also Olll.

Well, it appears to have proved somewhat successful.

Given all time constrains, (dark sky availability during this season of the year plus the relatively long exposure times required for narrowband imaging), I managed to combine both wavelengths in the restricted time which in total amounted to 130 minutes including 3 darks frames.

Here are the details:

Imaging'Scope: 102mm / f/5.9 Achromat.

Guide 'Scope: Nexstar 8i OTA at f/3.3. (Meade f/3.3 reducer and field flattener).

Mount: Skywatcher HE5Pro GEM.

Imaging Camera: Atik 314L+ monochrome.

Guide Camera: Meade DSI Mk.1

10 X 5 minute subs in Ha.

5 X10 minute subs in Olll.

Capture in Nebulosity 2.

Guided by Stark Lab. PHD.

Processed in Nebulosity 2 and P/Shop CS2.

The attached is of course, the monochrome version. I am now hoping to combine the two sets of wavelengths to produce a bi-colour image; something I've been wanting to do for a long time now but as yet, have never had the opportunity !

Off to read up on the technique !

Many thanks for looking,
Best regards,
Tel

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Tel]
      #5886984 - 05/27/13 12:09 PM

Many thanks Tel,have some of these little guy`s back for your Wizard , great job, thats another target i`ve not attempted yet.

Nice to hear you managed both Ha and 03, i know you have been waiting to try that, look forward to seeing your Bi-colour version.

best regards,

Tom.

Tel
Postmaster

#5888357 - 05/28/13 05:28 AM Attachment (20 downloads)

Well I tried my hand last evening for the first time, at bi-colour imaging the monochrome Hydrogen alpha and Oxygen lll subs from the above NGC 7380 ("Wizard"), and personally, I like the outcome which I understand can be unpredictable. Pleasing but unpredictable ! .

The technique as you probably already know, combines the Ha and Olll composite images which, in turn, represent "Red" and "Green" respectively, while copying of the Olll composite image, serves to represent "Blue".

I believe that, if Sulphur 2 is additionally used, this serves as "Red", Ha then becomes "Green" and Olll, "Blue". I don't however, yet possess a Sulphur 2 filter, but as this technique appears to be great fun with which to "play", I'm inspired to get one !

Anyhow; I hope you like this, my first attempt at paletting and thank you for looking.

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/24/10

Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollut...
      #5888414 - 05/28/13 07:13 AM

Tel I like the outcome but I'm not sure if I'm seeing some "red speckles" through out the frame?

Tel
Postmaster

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5888468 - 05/28/13 07:58 AM

Your right, James ! I'd like to claim that they're red dwarfs but.......... ?

Seriously though, I hadn't noticed them until you mentioned.

I'll take a look into the reason and try to get rid of them but in mitigation, it was late last night when I attempted this and, .... well, with a couple of Guinnesses under my belt ............

Thanks for pointing it out ! I'm on the case !

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#5888487 - 05/28/13 08:17 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

This version, perhaps ?

Best regards,
Tel

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#5888763 - 05/28/13 11:40 AM

Yep, that sorted it Tel, great work

regards,

Tom.

Tel
Postmaster

#5888916 - 05/28/13 12:57 PM

Thanks, Tom !

No three guesses as to the "cure" though!

Seriously; I don't know what these artefacts represent; (I can't imagine they are hot pxels with the camera running at -17C on the night and "darks" having been taken, but a P/shop "spot healer" works wonders !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5889249 - 05/28/13 03:48 PM

Wonderful capture of the "Pelican" Tom. The detail and different textures and shades and a joy.

Same goes for your "Wizard" Tel. I love the added colour choose how you achieved it. Fabulous outcome.

Thanks to both for posting.

Regards. Petyer.

Uggbits
sage

Reged: 04/28/10

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Peter9]
      #5889590 - 05/28/13 07:27 PM Attachment (15 downloads)

Really nice work with the Narrowband Tel. Assigning colour channels really adds something that didn't show when the two were combined in Monochrome. Haytor, that's a really nice Pelican! Lots of dynamic range in the image, well done.

I'm going to apologize in advance here, as there is a dump incoming. I have finally sorted through almost all of my images from May plus a couple re-processes and am ready to throw them at you guys.

Alright, this is 40 minutes of 5 minute exposures on Abell 2218. Almost ever point of light in this image is a galaxy (There are maybe ten stars), and those galaxies are sitting at a distance of 2-2.3 billion light years. In effect this image represents light that originated when the Earth was half its current age only to be caught in my telescope/on my CCD. The other interesting feature of this image is the actual brightness of the target galaxies. The tenth brightest sits at magnitude 17.6, and well over 100 galaxies were captured. This image then approaches the depth of research observatory images pre-1980s in a mere 40 minutes of total integration.

Two things to note about this image: 1) my processing is shaky as I was just trying to pop the galaxies out rather than go for detail. 2) I was trying to find a gravitational lens and I failed miserably.

Uggbits
sage

Reged: 04/28/10

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Uggbits]
      #5889603 - 05/28/13 07:32 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

This is perhaps my most intresting image to date. This is 2h 15m of five minute exposures on the Cigar galaxy captured in May 2013. The image was captured with a QSI 583c @ -10*C through a Meade 14"SCT guided on a Paramount ME. The galaxy is currently undergoing a 'starburst' after interacting with a neighbor. Gas disturbed from the center of the galaxy is falling back onto it sparking star-formation.

For reference this is a link to Hubble on the same target: Hubble M82

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Uggbits]
      #5889728 - 05/28/13 09:00 PM

I'm consistently amazed at the images you guys post here.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5889768 - 05/28/13 09:22 PM

Wow Uggs that cigar is amazing! Very nice processing, detail and color.

Looks like you caught an unintentional meteor streak in your first image. A little bit of noise coming through but all those galaxies are awesome.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: hopskipson]
      #5889792 - 05/28/13 09:32 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

I captured some more videos of Saturn on Saturday in better seeing. I think I'm hitting a wall. Seeing was 3/5 but I think my images are suffering from roof currents. When Saturn was not over my roof the seeing was good. As it got over it it deteriorated quickly. Oh well, city living, say la vee (excuse my french). Thanks for looking.

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

#5889799 - 05/28/13 09:36 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Here's a litte different processing

ben2112
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/12/12

Loc: North Charleston SC
      #5889851 - 05/28/13 10:00 PM

Nice image, James.

Tel
Postmaster

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: ben2112]
      #5890250 - 05/29/13 06:37 AM

Hi Uggs,

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding my first attenpts at bi-colour processing from an Ha/Olll narrowband composite. I hope to do more.

It is one way for me to achieve colour in some of my images, (noteably emission nebulae), and maximise my available imaging time, which is currently limited by the decreasing seasonal darkness and my restricted skyline, (essentially North to South through East) which thus precludes protracted camera exposures if the chosen object happens to lie anywhere near the Southeast at the beginning of an attempted capture session. (They have the annoying habit of disappearing over the rooftops before I've passed to the second set of subs) !

Anyway, so much for my excuses !

Great imaging of Abell 2218 ! It certainly puts the size of the Universe into perspective, doesn't it ? A lovely detailed image of M82 too !

I have tried, on a couple of occasions, to capture that associated starburst with my Nexstar 8i OTA/Atik 314L+ combination, but so far I've not been successful. You've now inspired me to have another shot at it !

(At this time of the year though, it is out of range for me)

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: Tel]
      #5890260 - 05/29/13 06:52 AM

Hi James,

I don't know about "hitting a wall" but for a 3/5 night's seeing, you've still obtained a good deal of detail in your image of Saturn. Such being the case, just wait till that 5/5 night appears !

(From the two presented, incidentally, I prefer the first) !

But seriously, there's probably not many who do not labour under some adversity to produce good images so all the more praise due to them in meeting the challenge and overcoming the odds stacked against them !

You do this admirably !

Best regards,
Tel

hopskipson
Pooh-Bah

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: Tel]
      #5890276 - 05/29/13 07:17 AM

Thanks Ben.

Thanks Tel for the words of encouragement . The "wall" I'm hitting is the seeing and currents. I've never experienced 5/5 skies in the city. There's so much stuff in the air from all the cars, trucks and buses. I'm hoping to get out of the city in July for a few days, but it may be too late for Saturn .

It is lots of fun when you take that blurry image and turn it into a decent representation.

Pages: << 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | >> (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 83303

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics