Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | >> (show all)
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: M57 new [Re: astroman68]
      #5480637 - 10/20/12 04:01 PM

Quote:

Thank you Tel. Had to do a close crop to get some detail mind. As you can see from a single full frame.Which is normally 3072x2048 in RAW mode.

Hi Paul,

Do you know, I always think planetaries demand "close up" imaging but looking now at the original you've just posted; THAT I like very much !

Despite the small size of the targeted object, the colours are still maintained, (particularly that of the halo), and, in my opinion, it is definitely not lost against the void beyond as one might expect. It almost looks as if this is how M57 would appear if one could view it with the naked eye !

Nice one !

Best regards,
Tel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
astroman68
sage

Reged: 07/09/07

Loc: West Yorkshire, UK
Re: M27 new [Re: haytor]
      #5480642 - 10/20/12 04:05 PM

Thank you for the praise Tom. you have done a excellent job of improving the definition and background cast yourself . My issues are not knowing the tools of photoshop. I'll get there.

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/24/08

Loc: Iowa, USA
Re: M27 new [Re: astroman68]
      #5480998 - 10/20/12 08:49 PM

Wow, Tel's processing of the M33 is quite spectacular.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: M27 new [Re: Alex Post]
      #5481374 - 10/21/12 03:22 AM

By pure chance, M33 is featured as (Amateur) "Picture of the Month" on the back page of the November edition, (available now), of the UK's "Astronomy Now" magazine, (the archrival to its main literary competitor, "Sky at Night").

If anyone wishes to access "AN", I gather it is available on line both in the EU and US in which case, take a look at it. (Sounds like an advertising campaign on my behalf) !

My minor and by and large "Auto" processing aside, the quality of any image is of course directly related to the data collected. I would therefore say without a doubt, that Milby's M33 is significantly more detailed than this magazine winner !

Congratulations once more to Milby !

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (10/21/12 04:25 AM)

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re: M27 new [Re: Tel]
      #5481555 - 10/21/12 08:42 AM

That's a nice re-processing of M33 Tel

Art

Tel
Postmaster

Re: M27 new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5481877 - 10/21/12 12:27 PM

Thanks Art.

Have you seen that rendition in November's "AN" which Nik Szymanek nominated as "Picture of the Month" ?

I have a lot of respect for Nik's imaging skills and judgement but in this case, I firmly believe, with no disrespect to AN's nominee, that Milby made a better job of capturing M33 than that AN published !

Best regards,
Tel

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5481960 - 10/21/12 01:35 PM

@Paul,
That widefield shot of M57 is really nice! Not only can you see the outer red fringe but you can also see the central white dwarf!

@Tel,
Superb reprocess of M33 my friend! Definitely magzine quality.

@Milby,
Tel is right. Processing is important, but if the data ain't there, it just ain't there. In your image, it IS there. Very nice job!

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: M27 new [Re: Skip]
      #5481998 - 10/21/12 02:02 PM

Wonderful images being produced as always. Their quality continues to improve

Tel, your work on M33 has resulted in an outstanding image.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

Re: M27 new [Re: Peter9]
      #5482169 - 10/21/12 03:53 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Hello all again.

I have been tracking down some gremlins with my setup. It appears I am getting close to having a working system. I have made a MAJOR upgrade by purchasing Telrad. Green lasers is all fun and good but I have been wasting too much time. Telrad works reliably. Auto-guiding also seems like it's getting tamed finally. Here is an image of the Bubble Nebula from last night. 126x 1 minute shots, 83 were selected for processing by DSS. No dark or flats (yet). Stars appear to be round (make Alex very happy). It's still far from Tel's Bubble and many more here, but I am happy to be back in business. Thank you all.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

#5482303 - 10/21/12 04:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks Art.

Have you seen that rendition in November's "AN" which Nik Szymanek nominated as "Picture of the Month" ?

I have a lot of respect for Nik's imaging skills and judgement but in this case, I firmly believe, with no disrespect to AN's nominee, that Milby made a better job of capturing M33 than that AN published !

Best regards,
Tel

Nope. I used to get both AN and S at N, but a bit of belt-tightening (mainly because both mgazines seemed to have pretty much the same content - including the reviews).

I may treat myself to a copy during half-term (just having spent a good few hours setting three examination papers for the Y11 mock exams using questions from past papers). It isn't as straight forward as most folks think!

Art

Tel
Postmaster

Re: M27 new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5483097 - 10/22/12 04:59 AM

Hi Art,

Yes, I agree, both magazines seem to be struggling more and more each month over what to come up with next ! Personally I'd like to see more attention paid to the amateur side of astronomy rather than be advised, for example as in a recent article, what is likely to occur, stage by stage, when the Andromeda galaxy meets the Milky Way !

But, then again though, "One man's meat" etc. .........

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

#5483110 - 10/22/12 05:17 AM

Hi Alex,

It's good to hear that you've now virtually ironed out all the bugs in your set-up and to see you "up and running" once more !

That's a very fine image of the Bubble Nebula and what I like in particular about it, is the scaling. Much better than mine ! May I ask which 'scope and camera combination you were using to achieve this ?

Also, can I also please ask why you think it necessary though, to take so many subs ?

If the number taken is to be regarded as proportional to noise reduction, hasn't one invoked the "Law of Diminishing Returns" long before, and that as such many subs become superfluous ?

I guess such a large number of subs is arguably fine with low exposure times, but with longer exposures, (e.g. 10 minutes when using Ha, Olll filters etc.), large numbers surely become impractical to the average "Joe"?

I'd be very interested in your views and experiences on this aspect.

Many thanks and many congratulations on a superb image !

Best regards,
Tel

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

#5483287 - 10/22/12 09:32 AM Attachment (13 downloads)

Tel, the original image was 5200x3460. Here is a full frame. This image was taken through C8 with 0.63FLR with Canon T3i. The main reason for short exposures was mainly to the fact that I was still trying to figure out guiding, but wanted to have some sort of result. Many times in the past I would start doing longer exposures, guiding fails, little result to show. I will definitely start increasing from 1 min.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: M27 new [Re: Alex Post]
      #5483421 - 10/22/12 11:03 AM

Wow Alex! That widefield is amazing!! Very pleasing image. I like it much better than the cropped version. Good work!

Tel
Postmaster

Re: M27 [Re: Skip]
      #5483774 - 10/22/12 02:27 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Many thanks Alex, for the explanations. I still like that crop though, Skip !

Best regards,
Tel

BTW. Good luck with the guiding, Alex. What, incidentally, are you using ?

jassan

Reged: 03/02/12

Jupiter October 22 [Re: Tel]
      #5483871 - 10/22/12 03:43 PM

So, here's my attempt at imaging Jupiter this morning. My Registax processing leaves much to be desired, but presumably my ancient little webcam is a roadblock as well. So, if someone can recommend me the next step up in cameras for planetary image, that'd be appreciated.

Jupiter
NexStar 8
SPC900NC Webcam

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Re: Jupiter October 22 [Re: jassan]
      #5484010 - 10/22/12 05:01 PM

Don't knock it jassan. That's a fine image.

Art

Alex Post
Pooh-Bah

Re: M27 [Re: Tel]
      #5484242 - 10/22/12 07:52 PM

Tel, for guiding I am using Orion ShortTube ST80 with Orion SSG. For software I am using PhD. My declinations were horrible for still unknown reason but after some tweaking it appears to see-saw somewhat, but at least it does not run away like crazy. Some people say it's probably a poor weight balance, but I have little control in declination axis.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: Jupiter October 22 [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5484822 - 10/23/12 07:02 AM Attachment (15 downloads)

Indeed a fine image of Jupiter.

Last five months have been pretty overcast / rain here with me getting just two nights briefly in between to get out with the C6. Yesterday night was again brief with partly cloudy but haze in parts. Anyway, with a 70-200 f/4L, grabbed some 20 x 1 minute of M 42, few darks and flats were added. However whatever I do, can't get rid of banding or background which could be the cause of less data or perhaps the haze / conditions.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Jupiter October 22 [Re: Maverick199]
      #5484943 - 10/23/12 09:34 AM

None the less Haseeb, M42 looks terrific against the dark starlit sky.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Pages: << 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | >> (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 86811

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics