Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | >> (show all)
Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re:M33 new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5491856 - 10/27/12 03:41 PM

Haseeb is right. I have a stack of raw frames that a friend provided to me. When looking at the raw stack, there is nothing there in Photoshop. But do a (rather large) stretch in PS and viola! There is M31, 32, and 110 in all their glory.

Quote:

You know that 'Persistence is futile'?

Hey Bri, I was going to suggest that since James wrote that thing about the "collective" (I really like it), I was going to say our NexStar forum motto should be:

" Welcome to the Collective. Prepare to be assimilated - Resistance is futile. "

We should make it a practice to use it to welcome all of our forum newbies. Huh? Huh?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re:M33 new [Re: Skip]
      #5492050 - 10/27/12 06:33 PM

If only the Rickster were still looking after us, I don't think we'd have a problem doing that!

As to our two new Mods ...

(has anyone seen them recently or are they hiding? )

Art

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re:M33 new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5492639 - 10/28/12 04:47 AM

Why hiding? I suspect that like good Mods, they will only act if the need arises.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re:M33 new [Re: Peter9]
      #5495957 - 10/30/12 10:05 AM

Just catching up after a week away in North Wales on a late break with the family, good to see some image postings from you guy`s,not been through all the posts and images, but suffice to say those that i have seen look great.

Alex i liked very much your Bubble,amazing what can be captured with just 1 minute subs, glad your guiding has improved and hope further refinement will allow you to go longer soon.

Jassan, you should be quite happy with your capture of Jupiter, you should have seen my earlier attempts, yours knock`s spots of my earlier captures.

Haseeb, another good attempt with your capture of M42, layering this target is of course the best way to go(large dynamic range) using some shorter subs, to overlay the core so as not to blow it out on the final image,i`m sure you will manage in time,in the mean time, keep plugging away, great stuff.

best regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (10/30/12 10:06 AM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re:M33 new [Re: haytor]
      #5495964 - 10/30/12 10:10 AM

Hey Tom, good to see you back and thanks. I wish I learn to layer soon.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5506629 - 11/06/12 10:32 AM Attachment (19 downloads)

Another clear night with half moon up. Used the AR 102 this time on CG-5 with EOS 550D and Astronomik clip in filter. Shot 69 x 30 secs lights and 43 x 30 secs darks. Should learn to shoot flats as well. Hope you like it and perhaps this may be my best M 42 yet. Suggestions, tweaking etc., welcomed.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5506840 - 11/06/12 12:47 PM

Wonderful vibrant image Haseeb. The colours are outstanding.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re:M33 new [Re: Peter9]
      #5507893 - 11/07/12 04:06 AM

Thanks Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5508298 - 11/07/12 12:28 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Hi Haseeb,

A great panoramic image with much data contained within it ! Many congratulations !

For me there is a little too much colour saturation but then such is an individual choice. However, being a particularly cloudy afternoon here in England today, coupled with the fact that I find it difficult to resist practicing my processing "fiddling", I thought I'd try to bring out the "Running Man" nebula, (NGC1977), in your image which clearly you've also captured well. The attached is a result of my effort.

I hope you don't mind. (?)

Best regards,
Tel

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re:M33 new [Re: Tel]
      #5508683 - 11/07/12 04:34 PM

Hey Tel, you did it! The running man is lookin' good! I also prefer reducing the color sat a bit.

Nice image, Haseeb.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5509339 - 11/08/12 02:31 AM

Mind? I love it. The 'Running man' is indeed looking good and so does the overall image. Thanks Tel. Looks like I need to change my desktop background once again.

Thanks Skip!

Tel
Postmaster

#5509377 - 11/08/12 04:23 AM

Thanks guys: your excellent image, Hasseb, gave me a lot of pleasure on a dull afternoon in trying to realise its full potential but, as I've said before, if the data's simply not there, then with the best will in the world ......... etc. etc. In this case there was more than plenty !

I would continue to emphasise though that investment in a good piece of processing software is as important as that made in cameras, focal reducers and other hardware equipment. The ability to use the former is soon acquired with a little practice.

I use, as I'm sure I've mentioned, P/Shop CS2 of which I only use a fraction of the features contained within it, hence, basic processing, such as I may be capable of, is easily learned.

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5509397 - 11/08/12 05:31 AM

I tried inquiring about CS5 ( learning about that could come later ) but I felt a price or near abouts $900 was too much to invest in something I may have very less chance to use. That's why I settled on softwares like Photoshop elements 9 / PaintshopPro X4 / Noel Carboni's astronomy actions. I may soon add GradientXterminator as I find that simple action to produce some good results. Here in India CS is limited to photography studios therefore retail versions are not popular enough to be available.

Tel
Postmaster

#5509432 - 11/08/12 06:41 AM

Hi Haseeb,

It doesn't matter which processing package one invests in so long as, (at least I find), the following features and "tools" are available to the operator, namely:-

Basics.

Levels.
Curves.
Brightness/Contrast.
Hue/Saturation.
Colour Balance.
Gaussian Blur.
Unsharp Mask.

Desirables:

Layering Ability.
Shadow/Highlights.
High Pass.
Xmagic Denoiser.
Gradient Xterminator.

Tools:

Clone Stamp.
Lasso.
Crop.

This is just a small, simplistic selection. There are of course many more together with individual use preferences, but suffice to say that at my level, the above serve me reasonably well.

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5509767 - 11/08/12 11:16 AM

Hi Tel,

All aforementioned tools are available in Photoshop Elements 9, so guess I don't really need CS. I do use the following from that list which you so kindly put up and which is extremely helpful.

Levels.
Curves.
Brightness / Contrast.
Colour balance ( not frequently though ).
Unsharp Mask.

Shadows / Highlights / Midtones.
High Pass.
GradientXTerminator.

Crop.

I have utilized the clone stamp for photos but never the Lasso tool.

I also utilize from Noel Carboni's tools:

Enhance DSO and reduce stars.
Enhance star colours.
Light pollution filter. ( acts as an artificial flat ).
Deep space noise reduction.
Make stars smaller.
Reduce halo around stars.

In PSPX4:

Curves.
Levels.
Hue / Saturation.
Noise removal.

Tel
Postmaster

#5510251 - 11/08/12 05:00 PM

Hi Haseeb,

Taking up your point that you have never used the lasso tool, I make the asssumption that nevertheless, your P/Shop Elements 9 software contains such. (?)

Used in conjunction with "SELECT" it is a very useful tool enabling you to isolate portions of the total image.

For example, with regard to your M42's background, there was a lot of cyan/green halo-ing surrounding the brighter stars which at face value, could only be removed by de-saturating the image as a whole.

However, use of the lasso tool would permit you, (as it did me), to encircle the nebula itself: in this case to preserve its colour while removing that which was unwanted in the background.

Hence the technique I applied, (and I hasten to add that there may be many ways of doing this), was as follows:-

(In actual fact, I wanted to preserve not only the colours within M42, but also that inherent in the "Running Man").

To this end therefore, I drew a ring around the M42 nebula using the lasso tool. I then depressed the Shift Key on my keyboard to enable me to draw a further lasso circle around the "Running Man".

Next, I clicked on SELECT and then within SELECT, on, INVERT. This enables only the area outside, rather than within the lasso circles, to be affected by any adjustments. In this case and to remove the cyan/green halo-ing, I merely reduced the saturation level in HUE/SATURATION.

(Note that I could have just used DESATURATE alone, but would thereby have lost ALL background colour, some of which I might have required later during the processing.

As I'm sure you can appreciate the above is only a brief description as to how I personally went about modifying the background of your image. Obviously a few processes were carried out thereafter in order to produce the finished image.

I hope however that the above helps perhaps in explaining a little of what the lasso tool is capable.

Best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (11/08/12 06:49 PM)

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
IC1805 [Re: Tel]
      #5510654 - 11/08/12 10:00 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Hi All,

Just got power back today after the hurricane and was able to "finish" processing the Heart Nebula. I acquired about 2 hours of Ha and color data at 300 mm and combined.

Thanks for looking!

George

Tel
Postmaster

Re: IC1805 [Re: ghataa]
      #5511048 - 11/09/12 05:07 AM

Great wide field imaging, George !

Looking at it, I was trying to work out which part of "The Heart" I had captured a month or two back with my Atik 314L/102mm f/6 achromat combination, and finally realised all I had was that bright portion of it to the extreme left !

Excellent stuff !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: IC1805 [Re: Tel]
      #5511193 - 11/09/12 08:28 AM

Great capture George. You've certainly got the whole of the "Heart". With a wider angle or an off set to the top left, non A.P talk here , I think you would have captured the "Soul" (IC1848) as well.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re:M33 [Re: Tel]
      #5511268 - 11/09/12 09:18 AM

It does indeed Tel and thank you for taking the time out to explain. I will try the Lasso tool on a few other photos to get myself familiar.

Pages: << 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | >> (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 83221

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics