Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | >> (show all)
Uggbits
sage

Reged: 04/28/10

Re: IC1805 new [Re: Uggbits]
      #5517871 - 11/13/12 12:47 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

I just tweaked the saturation a bit, and then a couple other things. The only issue is that when I look at it, it appears that I have pushed the data too far. Bear in mind that this is a 1:1 crop of the nebula within a relatively large field.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: IC1805 new [Re: Uggbits]
      #5518262 - 11/13/12 04:40 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Hi Uggs,

Congratulations, once again, on a fine piece of imaging.

I think the second, modified version is an improvement on the first but colour aside, I always think it unfortunate when we attempt to image objects which lie close to or within The Milky Way, that the overall picture can be dominated by background stars.

With this in mind, I passed your image through Craig Stark's "Nebulosity 2" software which allows one to moderate the existing large number of background stars. I thought you might like to see the effect if it's unfamiliar to you.

(I also couldn't resist an overall "tweak" : trying to bring the colour into line with that Wiki exhibits)

Best regards,
Tel

Tel
Postmaster

Re: IC1805 new [Re: Tel]
      #5519086 - 11/14/12 05:38 AM

Quote:

Hi Haseeb,

Given the large range of the C6-SCT focuser, I'm fairly sure the Neximage can be used with or without the use of a diagonal, including a Barlow, although of course you will need to check this out.

What I don't understand though, is why I don't have any problem in this respect but you do ?

I'll keep thinking !

Best regards,
Tel

Hi Haseeb,

Further to the above, (and by the way, many thanks for those very kind words on your other post), I would like to add the following :

Firstly, I forgot to ellaborate, (although perhaps it was obvious), but when I use my finder's 26mm EP initially to centralise a planet in my 8" SCT, it does of course possess cross-hairs. Additionally in using it, I don't bother to focus but merely obtain a doughnut of sufficient size to enable me to sit its dark centre over the said cross-hairs. I then remove the EP and replace it with the "Barlowed" webcam. This, I hasten to add, I do carefully so as to produce as little disturbance to the whole set up as possible.

Secondly, after making the adjustments within my software to enable me to see a fuzzy image on screen, I would emphasise that even my image isn't exactly centralised resulting from some small degree of shift presumably due to the switching of the EP for the webcam, (exacerbated no doubt by the sensitivities imposed by the Barlow), and the fact that the initially out of focus image will always reposition itself somewhat when brought to focus.

If you continue to have difficulties, it is possible that a flip mirror might help but in all honesty, such should not be necessary.

Finally on the subject of focusing high frame rate cameras, --- Barlowed or otherwise, --- on LT screens, I quote from Martin Mobberley's book, "Lunar and Planetary Webcam User's Guide".

"One thing that needs to be appreciated from the outset is that even on the best nights of atmospheric stabilty a planet never just sits there without a single quiver. In the webcam era it is now possible to video a planet for many minutes, at 0.1 second intervals, and to see just exactly what happens from split second to split second. This can be highly revealing. Remember, the light is travelling through 30 kilometres of the Earth's seething atmosphere. It would (thus) be incredible if the image of a planet were to remain steady and undistorted for several minutes at a time: indeed, it never happens !"

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
      #5519095 - 11/14/12 06:04 AM

Tel, that doughnut of sufficient size sounds like a great idea. For some reason I center it and try to obtain best focus whereas the Neximage barlowed is not parfocal with the eyepiece. Therefore I assume if I obtain a doughnut focus on the eyepiece, more likely the image once I insert the neximage barlowed, would snap ( somewhat ) into focus? Thereafter I could bring it to focus which is easy. Does this sound like it may work? That would be brilliant. Thanks again.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: IC1805 new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5519114 - 11/14/12 07:02 AM

Hi Haseeb,

Resign yourself to the fact that the odds are normally well stacked against your on screen image being in focus, Barlowed or otherwise, hence there is no need to take time and trouble in focusing the image in an EP unless you have managed to make said EP parfocal with your Neximage.

As I mentioned, I merely construct a "fitting size" doughnut for the initial, cross-haired EP centralisation procedure, ( normally occupying about a third of the field of view), and take it from there. As to the doughnut being possibly parfocaled or near parfocaled with your Barlowed Neximage this may be the case, (unlikely though I would have thought).

No, speaking purely from my own experience, it always seems necessary to me that once I have centralised my doughnut in the EP and then replaced the EP with the webcam, it still takes a not inexcessive amount of fiddling with the software settings to produce not much more than a fuzzy image somewhere on the screen.

Thankful thereafter, that I've at last got something tangible, albeit vague on screen with which to work, I then use my HC directional buttons at low slew rate, (one or two), to bring it to the centre of the screen and proceed to produce the best focus I can, remaining aware and being constantly reminded of its "in and out of focus" activity due to the effects of atmospheric turbulence etc.

One tip perhaps on the processing side. In using Registax, always go through the frame list to select the best reference frame you can. It's a little tedious but it does pay dividends in terms of the quality of the final image.

Hope these comments help you a little further.

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5519374 - 11/14/12 11:14 AM

Hi Tel, sounds much like the procedure I go through though I am yet to come to terms with it patience wise. Nevertheless, once again thank you. Now I know I need to persist if I want to image Planets.

I will check out Registax frame list reference once I tag Jupiter, hopefully sometime this month or perhaps next month, weather permitting.

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Re: IC1805 new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5519402 - 11/14/12 11:32 AM

Hi Haseeb,

Let me just add to Tel's excellent advice ( to Tel) - if you ever get the image through your NexImage to "snap to focus" on your computer screen - you would probably be considered the luckiest guy on the planet. And - if it ever happens, write down every step that you took to get there, package it up, and put it up for sale at a reasonable price. You will make a mint!

Or, since you are among friends , just post it here on CN and we will all love you for it.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: IC1805 new [Re: Skip]
      #5519448 - 11/14/12 12:09 PM

Quote:

Hi Haseeb,

Let me just add to Tel's excellent advice ( to Tel) - if you ever get the image through your NexImage to "snap to focus" on your computer screen - you would probably be considered the luckiest guy on the planet. And - if it ever happens, write down every step that you took to get there, package it up, and put it up for sale at a reasonable price. You will make a mint!

Or, since you are among friends , just post it here on CN and we will all love you for it.

Skip, that's exactly the crux of the discussion between Tel and I. I thought initially Tel had that magic 'snap' in the form of a doughnut, but unfortunately, both he and I follow the same routine, only Tel does it much faster than me.

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
Neximage new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5519673 - 11/14/12 03:12 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Interesting discussion of the Neximage. I have one of those sitting in my accessory case and with Jove so prominent I may have to explore the idiosyncrasies of it. The joys of ascending another learning curve!

This is another try at NGC 281 from last night. 2000s, autoguided at F2 with the Hyperstar

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: Neximage new [Re: milby]
      #5520615 - 11/15/12 06:16 AM

Lovely to behold! What's that darkish 'Y' patch in the middle called?

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Neximage new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5520642 - 11/15/12 06:55 AM

Quote:

Pacmans mouth. ??????????

Great image Milby.

Thanks for posting

Regards. Peter.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: Neximage new [Re: Peter9]
      #5520795 - 11/15/12 09:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Great image Milby.

Thanks for posting

Regards. Peter.

No the one in the middle of the nebula itself.

Tel
Postmaster

#5521169 - 11/15/12 12:46 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Hi Milby,

Once again, superb skill in capturing this image of the Pacman but as with that earlier dazzling rendition of M33, I do feel you're leaving much of the hard won data hidden.

Please tell me if I'm meddling, but I sense you're missing the full beauty of what you've created. Does this "tweak" perhaps appeal a little more ?

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5521198 - 11/15/12 01:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Great image Milby.

Thanks for posting

Regards. Peter.

No the one in the middle of the nebula itself.

I see it Haseeb, but have not got a clue as to if it has a name.

Regards. Peter.

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: Neximage new [Re: Tel]
      #5521272 - 11/15/12 01:56 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

No problem Pete, we need to investigate this matter further.

Tel, awesome rendition if I may and you can NEVER meddle.

You know that doughnut idea you explained with the eyepiece? Well ladies and gentleman, I have now with help from Tel solved the mystery of "FOCUS". Did exactly this and guess what? Got Jupiter with Neximage bang on.

I have to process that file which I will do tomorrow, in the meantime, with the same method, I also captured with a DSLR some 1063 frames which I hope you like.

Processed with VirtualDub and Avistack this colour rendition.

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5521277 - 11/15/12 01:57 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

And this one tweaked a bit with Registax but failed to obtain colour for some reason. Either way, it looks okay. I forgot to mention, it was hazy and lot of smog. This is the same image as above but tweaked with Registax.

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re: Neximage [Re: Maverick199]
      #5521328 - 11/15/12 02:23 PM

Two really nice images Haseeb. Its good to see one in black and white, even if it was by mistake. Been a while since Tom switched to colour imaging.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Neximage [Re: Peter9]
      #5522240 - 11/16/12 04:21 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Hi Hasseb,

It's great to see that everything seems to be working out now ! I'll look forward to viewing the Neximage result(s) as soon as you have them processed and available.

Meantime, congratulations on the DSLR Jupiter images you've posted although I too cannot offer an explanation for the lack of colour in the Registax processed one.

I did however "push" the coloured version in both Registax and P/Shop, mainly because I'm experimenting a little at the moment with my Registax processing: (I've been reading up on the use of different techniques lately and wanted to put them into practice).

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: Neximage [Re: Tel]
      #5522243 - 11/16/12 04:29 AM

Thanks Peter.

Hi Tel, that looks more like Jupiter than the one I posted, you got some highlights and vibrancy on the details which I couldn't.

Btw, I used Neximage in conjunction with Diagonal as suggested by you and it seems to work. I will try to post an image processed solely with Registax later. Thanks.

Edited by Maverick199 (11/16/12 04:47 AM)

Tel
Postmaster

Re: Neximage [Re: Maverick199]
      #5522279 - 11/16/12 05:28 AM

Hi Haseeb,

I seem to be hovering at the moment between using Registax 5 and Registax 6. The latter has some good features but I've read lately that for planetary image sharpness, Damien Peach recommended, (some time ago), that instead of using the "Classic" Quality Setting in Registax 5, one should use "Gradient" (or Gradient 2).

This does not appear as an option in Registax 6. However, two recently read recommmendations relate to using "3X3" instead of "Default" in the "Intensity Selection" box and to opt for "Best Frames" in the "Limit Set-Up" on the opening window.

Decisions, decisions !

I must admit though, I still personally like Registax 5 more than 6. I feel more in control !

Best regards,
Tel

Pages: << 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 83227

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics