Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | >> (show all)
Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
Re: new [Re: Maverick199]
      #5566066 - 12/11/12 02:35 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Hi Haseeb,

As you know, I'm actually trying to refine my planetary processing capability and am therefore exceedingly grateful to you for the opportunities you and others afford me by permitting me to "work" on these fine images.

To that end, and for reasons of an evening of freezing fog here in the South of England, I've revisited the above image, (which I think you took in November ?), and reworked it.

Now I quite like what I see but I'm not sure you'd share my view. I would therefore very much appreciate it if you, and for that matter, any of our colleagues and friends here, would let me know if it still appeals; for only through such feedback can one improve techniques.

Best regards,
Tel

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Maverick199
Postmaster

Reged: 02/27/11

Loc: India
Re: new [Re: Tel]
      #5566893 - 12/12/12 01:31 AM

Hi Tel, I feel privilieged to have you tweak my images.

The earlier one you did I liked a lot and even posted that as being my best Jupiter. This one too is good but different to the earlier one in the sense, this looks 'processed' wherein the other image you processed, it didn't. Hope this makes sense.

Tel
Postmaster

#5566960 - 12/12/12 03:53 AM

Hi Haseeb,

Many thanks for your kind comments and the requested feedback.

What I was trying to do with this attempt and with the reprocessing of my lesser quality former image, was to bring out some of the cloud festoons a little more, but, as you say, I've possibly "overdone" it.

I will take a further look at it and see if I can improve it by "softening" it a little.

Many thanks and regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
      #5567115 - 12/12/12 08:11 AM

Hi. Tel,

I too prefer the first image as it looks more natural i.e the cloud bands, the ovals, the festoons etc all seem to blend in and be a part of the whole as against the second one, where the same features appear to be "stuck" on so to speak.
Hope I, as a non A.P er, have got my terminology right, as this is in no way a criticism. Both images are way way beyond anything I could ever achieve. Your processing powers leave me in awe.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
Re: new [Re: Peter9]
      #5567171 - 12/12/12 08:58 AM

Agree with the above Tel, however your idea to bring through better the festoons in the belts was sucessful in that aspect, but in doing so, has over sharpened the rest of Jupiter.I`m no one to talk though, i`m wrestling with my own processing skills along with most here.

damned hard this processing lark

best regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (12/12/12 09:03 AM)

Tel
Postmaster

Re: new [Re: haytor]
      #5568085 - 12/12/12 06:51 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Taking on board with thanks all that has been advised, I've been working on a modifiication today to try to reduce the oversharpening in Haseeb's image of Jupiter while retaining as much detail as possible.

I'd appreciate to learn if you guys think this modification has done the trick ?

Best regards,
Tel

Maverick199
Postmaster

#5568601 - 12/13/12 02:16 AM

Another classic processing by you Tel. The festoons as in the second image remain more prominent. If you ask me which I prefer, my pick would still be the first one you did. All three images you prcoessed are great and each has a unique character to it. Wonder if all three images are batch merged, if an hdr image could be obtained.

Tel
Postmaster

#5568669 - 12/13/12 04:38 AM

Hi Haseeb,

If "hdr" means a layered or composite image, (from those available ?), it's certainly worth a try.

The exciting aspect of all this processing is that it's nearly always difficult to predict the final outcome which makes for the pleasure it gives.

I did in fact, soften the second, harsher image and then overlay it on itself, but I never employed the original I "tweaked".

Maybe then, indeed a composite of all ? ......... Who knows ?

Best regards,
Tel

haytor
Pooh-Bah

#5568729 - 12/13/12 06:51 AM

HDR imaging, (High dynamic Range),

Hi Tel, here`s a link to explain more about HDR imaging/photography, not my bag, but some might like it.

Its something that allows for those with a more artistic leaning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (12/13/12 06:55 AM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: new [Re: haytor]
      #5568738 - 12/13/12 07:04 AM

Worth a try, maybe I will do that once I get home.

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5568869 - 12/13/12 09:26 AM

Hi Tel,

The third image looks better than the second, to me at least, as the area's between the bands now have more "shading" so to speak, which seems to reduce somewhat, the sharp contrast between the edges of the cloud bands and area's either side.

May I add that the detail you have brought out in the band bands is as good as I've seen in a long time.

Regards. Peter.

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
M42 *DELETED* new [Re: Peter9]
      #5569417 - 12/13/12 02:56 PM

Post deleted by milby

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
Re: M42 new [Re: milby]
      #5569454 - 12/13/12 03:20 PM

Hi Milby,

Lots of detail in the outer regions but the speed of the hyperstar is causing the core to become over-exposed. Can you use very short exposures and still resolve the trapezium? I have seen many folks use a combination of very short and longer exposures to retain the wide dynamic range of M42. I think you got the hard part already!! Shoot some ver short exposures and you will be home free!

Best,

George

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: M42 new [Re: ghataa]
      #5570413 - 12/14/12 07:32 AM

Saw your posted M42 image milby, via my mobile phone last night, was going to take a look today on my desk top and put in a reply, now seen the post has been deleted.

From what i could see on my mobile phone, the image looked very nice, yes the core was blown due to George`s observation, that there were no shorter exposures to layer, but the image i saw given that fact, showed some very nice detail with some nice outer nebulosity captured.

best regards,

Tom.

Lobot

Reged: 10/09/12

#5571984 - 12/15/12 03:54 AM Attachment (17 downloads)

I spent a couple of hours last night being frustrated by intermittent cloud, but towards the end it started to look more promising!

This is the best I managed:

Orion Nebula, EOS 550d, 5SE, single exposure, ISO 6400, 15 secs. No editing, I'll leave that to Tel!

Link to full version:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69979581@N03/8273507007/in/pool-bbcskyatnight

Cheers, Robin

Tel
Postmaster

Re: new [Re: Lobot]
      #5572052 - 12/15/12 06:17 AM

Hi Robin,

Many thanks for those kind words. I wish I shared your confidence in my abilities !

I will of course see if I can coax a little more detail from your single frame but nevertheless excellent image and many thanks for allowing me to do so.

This all seems to be coming together for you. Nice round stars with no trailing and a centre to the nebula which is not over-contrasted to lose too much of the "Trapezium" ! A wee bit "noisy" as to be expected, but nothing that cannot easily be taken care of by multiframing.

Otherwise....nice one !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

#5572185 - 12/15/12 08:59 AM

Nice image Robin. Very pleasing to the eye.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: [Re: Tel]
      #5572187 - 12/15/12 09:00 AM

Hi Robin,

as Tel has already mentioned,a single frame is very hard to play with, mainly because of noise issues, taking lots of frames and stacking them helps greatly to reduce that noise when it comes to processing.

Also you have chosen a very difficult target, in that,and as you are probably aware of, M42 has such a wide dynamic range, so longer exposures are required to capture the outer nebulosity, while much shorter exposures are needed to hold the trap to not blow it out, these are then layered to give a good overall finished image.

Having said that you got a nice single frame, .

I had a quick play to reduce the blown out area of the trap,and perhaps to show just a tad more of the outer region.

Its not great, as the noise increased and i had to de-noise it which can and does soften the image and that leads to loss of detail.Still had to give it a go though, .

Given this is just a single frame, this is the best i could make of it.

best regards,

Tom.

Edited by haytor (12/15/12 09:01 AM)

Maverick199
Postmaster

Re: [Re: haytor]
      #5572208 - 12/15/12 09:19 AM

So Tom, where's the image.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Re: [Re: Maverick199]
      #5572211 - 12/15/12 09:22 AM

Hi Haseeb, i can see it on my screen, if you cannot see it, try refreshing the page link and see if it appears.

regards,

Tom.

Pages: << 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, Mitchell Duke, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 83520

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics