Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: << 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | >> (show all)
Uggbits
sage

Reged: 04/28/10

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: hopskipson]
      #5656532 - 02/01/13 02:56 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Hey guys,

I figured the first image was a bit on the small side for viewing details so I cropped the main nebula. Hopefully this turns out alright. I'll try to combine a second hour done with the same imaging setup (30s exposures if I remember correctly) to address the core later today. After that I will attempt to combine my old dslr data if possible. I'll let you know the challenges of that as it will involve 3 different pixel counts from three different cameras.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Uggbits]
      #5656559 - 02/01/13 03:08 PM

Now that is just beautiful. I've not seen M42 look that good before. All credit to you Dan.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Reged: 10/23/08

Loc: South Yorkshire, UK
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Peter9]
      #5656710 - 02/01/13 04:35 PM

That's a great image Ugg.

Looks a little like an HDR image

Art

Tel
Postmaster

Reged: 03/31/06

Loc: Wallingford England
      #5656714 - 02/01/13 04:36 PM

Great imaging as ever, Dan, and many congratulations on completing and obtaining your University degree !

(Now that it's over, can we rely on being treated to more regular views of your superb work) ?

Best regards,
Tel

Skip
Starlifter Driver

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA
      #5658002 - 02/02/13 11:59 AM

Dan,

I too agree that that is a stunning M42! Yes, of course, some work on the core might be in order. But the outer nebulosity is better than most pics I've seen. It almost looks like a painting rather than a photo. Very nice.

milby

Reged: 03/11/12

Loc: Indiana, USA
Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Skip]
      #5658273 - 02/02/13 02:30 PM Attachment (13 downloads)

Marvelous M42, Ugg. I know the conventional wisdom is to use some means - HDR, mask processing, stretch - to unveil the triangulum, but I have to say when the core is as luminous as this it makes the reflections off the nebular components look more natural, at least to me.

We're encased in ice here so I'm still playing around with old data. This is an M33 from October I'm messing around with in PI.

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

#5658357 - 02/02/13 03:26 PM

Nice!!

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: milby]
      #5658358 - 02/02/13 03:27 PM

Spectalcular!!

Lobot

Reged: 10/09/12

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5658568 - 02/02/13 05:31 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

Well after a month of truly awful weather here in Devon, I finally had a clear night tonight

I've also got my 5SE tracking really well (it seems to be running more smoothly now, or perhaps I'm just getting better at aligning it!). Anyway, I know it's nothing near what you guys have acheived but I'm quite pleased with this.

Single exposure, ISO 6400, 25 secs, EOS 550d

Full version here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69979581@N03/8438419963/in/pool-bbcskyatnight

Are there any good tutorials for using DSS? I had a 'dabble' with it a couple of weeks ago, but the result was a total mess!!!

Cheers, Robin

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Lobot]
      #5658585 - 02/02/13 05:43 PM

That's a single exposure Lobot??

EXCELLENT image - you should be proud of that one!

Art

Arthur Dent
Galactic Hitch-Hiker

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Arthur Dent]
      #5658591 - 02/02/13 05:45 PM

Milby

Are you sure that's an Edge 9.25 you've got there? Image looks like its come from a 1m scope at least

As CD said, SPECTACULAR image

Art

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

#5658692 - 02/02/13 06:29 PM

Looks nice and good job!

Tel
Postmaster

#5659384 - 02/03/13 05:47 AM Attachment (12 downloads)

Quote:

Well after a month of truly awful weather here in Devon, I finally had a clear night tonight

I've also got my 5SE tracking really well (it seems to be running more smoothly now, or perhaps I'm just getting better at aligning it!). Anyway, I know it's nothing near what you guys have acheived but I'm quite pleased with this.

Single exposure, ISO 6400, 25 secs, EOS 550d

Full version here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69979581@N03/8438419963/in/pool-bbcskyatnight

Are there any good tutorials for using DSS? I had a 'dabble' with it a couple of weeks ago, but the result was a total mess!!!

Cheers, Robin

Hi Robin,

That's a very good image considering a single frame !

The core is a little blown out which cannnot be redressed but there is more data that can be teased from the image as a whole, as I've attempted to demonstrate.

As to DSS tutorials, I'm sure you already know and have probably visited it, but there is at least one on "Youtube".

Personally, I use Craig Stark's "Nebulosity 2" which supports Canon DIGIC 2/3 and 4, (I have a 350D), together with my Meade DSI and Atik 314L: in other words a versatile and not too expensive piece of software at, I think, about $60 or in old money, 35 !

Keep snapping and best regards,
Tel

Edited by Tel (02/03/13 07:52 AM)

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: Tel]
      #5659464 - 02/03/13 07:41 AM

Robin / Milby.

Two great images in there own right.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #5659510 - 02/03/13 08:34 AM

Dan,i very much like the cropped version of your M42 capture, always amazed what can be captured with just 30 second exposures

milby, thats a wonderful capture of M33,a hard target for sure, the clumps of material in the arms really stand out, i`ve never had much luck with this target, but your image is very nicely done.

Robin, as said above, thats a nice single 25 second frame of M42 you captured, lots more needed for stacking of course, but looking at your single frame i would say a good capture indeed.

BTW, i grew up on Dartmoor ( well, for 5 years or so anyway)some really nice dark skies to be had out on the moor,and i really miss visually seeing the milky way which i cannot see here in the Midlands.

Best regards guy`s,

Tom.

Lobot

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions new [Re: haytor]
      #5659571 - 02/03/13 09:24 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone, really appreciated. It's really nice to be part of a community that's so encouraging

It's been so frustrating in the last month, rain, thick cloud, thin cloud, rain, sleet, snow etc etc! So much for (sunny) Devon!!

I'm going to try stacking again shortly, are there any 'tricks' to it? For example do you use a specific ratio of different ISO/exposure times? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Tel: Thanks, great improvements as usual

Tom: I'm Devonshire born & bred (well, apart from the accent!!) and live within 10 miles of Haytor. It's actually quite light polluted there but there are better sites not far away. I'm on the very edge of a small town and, apart from the usual suburban orange glow, it's a good location. I can see the Milky way on a decent night; sometimes I forget how lucky I am in that respect. My wife thinks that I'm nuts as I spend hours out there just taking it all in...at least my neighbours are very understanding!!

Milky way from my garden: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69979581@N03/7614048076/in/photostream

Cheers, Robin

haytor
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/29/07

Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.
      #5659615 - 02/03/13 09:44 AM

Thanks for the piccy from your garden of the Milky way Robin, boy, talk about a trip down memory lane, i guess you now understand my user name and its link with my past, i actually went to shool in Chagford.

I returned many years after leaving Dartmoor for fleeting visits to my old haunts, namely Haytor, Houndtor, in fact many of the Tors in that area,i used to do a lot of backpacking over the moors in my younger days, i would spend those visits on clear nights just soaking up the night sky,always wanted to return to Dartmoor to live there, maybe one day if my lottery numbers come up.

Thanks for tripping my memories of days much missed.

best regards,

Tom.

Lobot

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: haytor]
      #5659678 - 02/03/13 10:27 AM

Hi Tom, glad to be of help.

My parents owned a farm for 15 years in the Teign Valley, opposite Trusham. The views there were really impressive & I have fond memories of it (apart from the numerous contour lines!!). I remember spending hours watching a comet which was visible for several weeks one winter in the late 90s, whilst I fed the sheep each night, magical stuff.

Cheers, Robin

Tel
Postmaster

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: Lobot]
      #5660071 - 02/03/13 02:17 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Well I thought last evening, with a continual promise thoroughout the day from our illustrious Met. Office of clear skies until ca. midnight, this would at last enable me to make a necessarily early start to image the Crab Nebula in both Ha and Olll.

My aim, since I was thwarted in achieving it on my last session of the 9th. Jan., was to try my hand at the Hubble Palette method of artificially colouring these otherwise gray scale frames.

One advantage was, that following my failed attempt on the 9th,, I had left the 'scope set up ready for when the next opportunity arose. So, as they say, tonight was to be the night !

Alignment was quickly achieved around 5:30pm with the "Crab" in the Southeast: (I have only a basically North/South sky range over which to operate so time can be somewhat of the essence, particularly regarding the Crab's position and the fact that Ha and Olll demand extended exposure times).

So as a result, I soon had the a non-filtered image of the Crab on my LT screen for reference purposes, although not as centrally placed as I wanted it to be.

Now, as you appreciate with a GEM as opposed to an Alt/.Az. mount, directions are not always as they seem; in as much as "Up" is not necessarily "Up" when the button is pressed, and "Right" not necessarily "Right", but eventually I had the nebula centralised on screen. I then began to calibrate my guide star via PHD software, my Meade DSI camera and my 104mm refractor.

Ready to go, I made a further check on my now centralised Crab in white light with a couple of 2 minute exposures.

The first looked good but I noticed I was losing the second. Yep, I looked up, (as I am now trained to do due to past bitter experience), and sure enough, was met, once again, by about 80% cloud cover !

Facing a dilemma as to whether to give up or wait, I decided to wait. Eventually it cleared around 8:00pm but by then the Crab had moved due South and within an hour would begin to skim the neighbouring house top.

Intending to image 10 frames in Ha and 10 in Olll, I was thus forced to cut my losses and accept 5X10 minute frames in Ha only.

Attached is the result.

'Scope: Nexstar 8i at f/6.3. (Focal Reducer).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro.
Camera: Atik 314L
Filter: 7nm Ha
Software: Stark Lab. Nebulosity 2.

Guide 'scope: Phenix 104mm f/5.9 achromat.
Camera: Meade DSI Mk.1 plus X0.5 Antares reducer.
Software: Stark Lab. PHD.

Processed in Nebulosity 2 and Photoshop CS2.

I hope next time out, I can reproduce the same image in Olll and overlay the two thereafter making my desired Hubble Palette colour image.

Thank you for listening to my woes !

Best regards,
Tel

Peter9
Post Laureate

Re:NexStar AP Graduates Images and Discussions [Re: Tel]
      #5660117 - 02/03/13 02:39 PM

Just pleased you manage. at last, to get out and do some AP Tel. As you know, I don't know the ins and outs of AP but that looks like a very nice M1 to me.

My night sky was a "nearly" sky. It had a thin vail of white blanket cloud which refused to clear away. I could see little more than Jupiter and some of the brighter stars. I had the dome open from 19.00 until 22.00 in the hope it would clear, but to no avail.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

Pages: << 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 86696

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics