Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Announcements and News >> Discussion of CN Articles, Reviews, and Reports

Pages: 1
Olivier Biot
Amused

Reged: 04/25/05

Loc: 51°N (Belgium)
Dark Skies Apparel Observer Vest new
      #4807998 - 09/14/11 06:52 PM

Dark Skies Apparel Observer Vest

By Jason Hissong and Jim Schoultz.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JoeMc
sage

Reged: 11/08/05

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Dark Skies Apparel Observer Vest new [Re: Olivier Biot]
      #4808136 - 09/14/11 08:14 PM

Thanks for the interesting review. Definitely an accessory to consider. Must say the first picture looks like a couple of Jedi Masters patrolling the neighborhood.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #4808212 - 09/14/11 08:53 PM Attachment (316 downloads)

The vest is definitely worth the money, and now comes in a white version for solar viewing (and the white one works pretty well at night too). It has two big lower-most pockets that are wide enough that my Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas can fit inside (about the only "pocket" I have in all my nighttime apparel that the atlas actually does fit in). Those big lower pockets will each hold a couple of eyepieces if you want to use them that way. so theoretically, you could put up to eight eyepieces in the vest. The light blockage from the hood is great for helping me keep dark adapted on moon-lit nights when I want to "push" into the deep-sky under less than optimal conditions. I can put some eyepieces in the vest and climb up a ladder on a tall Dob so as to be able to quickly change eyepieces without having to come down again. I can put a lot of eyepieces into mine, but I would recommend not bending over to tie your shoes if you have a heavy one in the pockets, as it might slide out. In the below shot I have the following:

Top left small pockets: Lens Pen and Olympus voice recorder (not visible inside)
Top right small pockets: red LED flashlight and 4-color pen
2nd row left middle-sized pockets: 36mm Hyperion Aspheric eyepiece, 14mm ES100 eyepiece
2nd row right middle-sized pockets: 8.5-12mm Speers Waler eyepiece, 5-8mm Speers Waler eyepiece
Bottom left "big" Pocket: Neale Monks "Go-To Telescopes Under Suburban Skies"
Bottom right "big" pocket: Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas (and 2x Barlow in the bottom)

This is more than I like to carry in those pockets, but it does give you an idea of what the vest can do if you really want it to. Clear skies to you.

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: Dark Skies Apparel Observer Vest new [Re: JoeMc]
      #4808223 - 09/14/11 09:00 PM Attachment (314 downloads)

As for monks.....

Undermidnight
BEOTS "Tweener Cup" winner

Reged: 05/25/04

Loc: Untermitternacht
Re: Dark Skies Apparel Observer Vest new [Re: David Knisely]
      #4808288 - 09/14/11 09:51 PM

I still use my vest every time I observe. It is like a Swiss Army knife of observing accessories.

Jason

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #4810181 - 09/16/11 12:03 AM

Jason:

Nice write-up.

I'm now definitely interested. I kind of wish they would use pre-shrunk material though so that washing wouldn't cause shrinkage, but then again, how dirty does one's observing vest get?

I think I'll give one a try.

Regards,

Jim

Sirius76
Vendor-Dark Skies Apparel

Reged: 05/11/07

Loc: Chicago, Il
Re: Dark Skies Apparel Observer Vest new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #4814278 - 09/18/11 09:56 AM

Quote:

Jason:

Nice write-up.

I'm now definitely interested. I kind of wish they would use pre-shrunk material though so that washing wouldn't cause shrinkage, but then again, how dirty does one's observing vest get?

Regards,

Jim

Hey Jim,

Yeah, we wish we had pre shrunk material as well but our supplier doesn't offer it. As far as we know, it isn't even manufactured as a pre-shrunk.

What I can tell you is this. If you needed to wash it and follow the care instructions printed on the inside label as well as on the info sheet that comes with each vest, you really shouldn't have any problems. We sacrificed a few vests early on just to determine what is the best way to care for the garment. Our recommendation is what turned out to work the best.

We're approaching nearly 500 vests in the field and haven't had any issues. (knock wood) Then again, it is black and meant to be worn in the dark. How dirty does it really get?!

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
      #4814557 - 09/18/11 01:07 PM

Quote:

As for monks.....

haha!

FJA
Sketcher Extraordinaire

Reged: 11/17/04

Loc: 50.65° N, 1.15° W
      #4814570 - 09/18/11 01:13 PM Attachment (309 downloads)

I've got one of these as well and it is absolutely brilliant. Here is the only acceptable photo of me in existence:

Stargoat
sage

Reged: 04/10/05

Loc: Illinois
Re: Dark Skies Apparel Observer Vest new [Re: Sirius76]
      #4814763 - 09/18/11 03:13 PM

Hello Dragan,

I just ordered one of your vests Saturday afternoon. Due to demand, I had to go with the XL size. With respect to the XL vests that you sacrificed, how much did the vest shrink if one would like to shrink it for a smaller waist size? Does the vest shrink more, say for instance in the girth (60 waist dimension) or the (26.5 length)? IIRC, some of my clothes that have shrunk do not shrink equally in all dimensions.

Stephen

Sirius76
Vendor-Dark Skies Apparel

Reged: 05/11/07

Loc: Chicago, Il
Re: Dark Skies Apparel Observer Vest new [Re: Stargoat]
      #4814785 - 09/18/11 03:21 PM

Quote:

Hello Dragan,

I just ordered one of your vests Saturday afternoon. Due to demand, I had to go with the XL size. With respect to the XL vests that you sacrificed, how much did the vest shrink if one would like to shrink it for a smaller waist size? Does the vest shrink more, say for instance in the girth (60 waist dimension) or the (26.5 length)? IIRC, some of my clothes that have shrunk do not shrink equally in all dimensions.

Stephen

Hey Stephen,

The problem with the shrinkage that does occur is that the lining and the shell do NOT shrink the same amounts. So what you get is bunching and binding at all the stitching.

So essentially, the vest doesn't shrink uniformly and you will ruin the garment.

I did speak with Anja about your order Stephen. I'm pretty confident the XL will fit you pretty well after hearing what you two spoke about. Please let us know via email when it arrives. I want to make sure your satisfied.

Mike B
Starstruck

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA
Re: Dark Skies Apparel Observer Vest new [Re: FJA]
      #4814842 - 09/18/11 03:47 PM

Hey Faith- looks like you and your Dob have matching outfits for trippin' the light fantastic!

Now, whether it'll get you into the monkery... that may depend on the state of their security procedures.

Stargoat
sage

Reged: 04/10/05

Loc: Illinois
Re: Dark Skies Apparel Observer Vest [Re: Sirius76]
      #4814843 - 09/18/11 03:47 PM

Thanks for the quick and informative response Dragan. Glad you were the ones to sacrifice the vests . As I'd mentioned to Anja, I feel that I'm more inclined to use the vest in the cooler seasons over a vest/coat etc. Once the trees/bushes lose their foilage, I lose my coverage from several distance streetlights and neighbors house lights. So the hood will really come in handy to block the stray lights.

Indeed I will follow up once I get to try out the vest. Again thanks for the information.

Stephen

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2464

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics