Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)
johne
sage

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ.
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: mrramsey]
      #5127963 - 03/18/12 01:15 AM

Looks good Mike.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/20/09

Loc: Lawndale NC, USA
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: johne]
      #5128870 - 03/18/12 04:08 PM

Caught a double flare last night. One was tumbling space junk..........
Double Flare

Edited by MrKrink (03/18/12 04:11 PM)

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5128934 - 03/18/12 04:35 PM

njrusty

Reged: 03/17/06

#5129890 - 03/19/12 08:17 AM

My system was up and running but did not pickup this event.

johne
sage

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ.
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: njrusty]
      #5130278 - 03/19/12 12:44 PM

Nice catch. We had 18" of snow over the weekend, so not much in the way of clear skies here.

ErikRuud

Reged: 10/17/11

Loc: Saint Charles, IL
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: johne]
      #5133370 - 03/21/12 10:26 AM

I sent in my request yesterday and got an almost immediate reply.

They are apparently having an issue getting parts. Here is part of the reply.
Quote:

Thanks for your interest. We are currently out of cameras, but have parts on order to build a limited number of additional units. We have found difficulty in obtaining the necessary fisheye lenses, so it is uncertain how many units we’ll be able to build, or when. However, we will add your name to the growing list of requests.

Kevin Bozard

Reged: 03/13/08

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: ErikRuud]
      #5142293 - 03/26/12 02:13 PM

There was a fireball over Sharon Georgia last night, at approximately 23:09 EDT. An all sky camera at Deerlick Astronomy Village captured the event, and I'm attaching a still shot. I don't have access to their video files, and no one from DAV has posted a video as of yet.

We were having a thunderstorm during this time, so my camera was only capturing lightning and clouds. I think the same was true for Stuart's camera in North Carolina.

http://wkateam.com/astronomy/davmeteormarch25th2012.PNG

mrramsey

Reged: 11/19/11

Loc: Hudson, Oh
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: Kevin Bozard]
      #5142506 - 03/26/12 03:52 PM

That's a nice one! I caught a couple small ones a few days ago and a flare last night. Still need to make some minor tweaks to the mask to get rid of some falsies.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
      #5143240 - 03/27/12 01:09 AM

This thread doesn't appear to be about cheap all-sky cameras at all. It appears to be about riding on an the back of an institutional program.

njrusty

Reged: 03/17/06

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5143471 - 03/27/12 07:48 AM

Watched the (5) rocket launches from VA this morning from my site in PA. Unfortunately, the All-Sky Camera was not sensative enough to pickup the rockets rise into the sky and dispersal of its 'clouds'. However; all the rockets and 'clouds' were clearly visible in the southern sky. Very spectacular!!

mrramsey

#5143487 - 03/27/12 08:06 AM

Quote:

This thread doesn't appear to be about cheap all-sky cameras at all. It appears to be about freeloading on an the back of an institutional program.

Freeloading?? That would be living in your parents basement and being too lazy to get a job to help with the rent.

I can speak for a few others as well as myself that we have offered to take part in the program that NMSU is hosting. We have met their requirements by supplying a dedicated computer solely for this use, an internet connection and the power to run it at no cost to them.

The project is also being funded partially by the government of which I pay my taxes to. I also enjoy volunteering for what we are doing. The benefit to me is that I get to see events that I normally would not see.

Whether it was intended to be an insult or not I am a bit offended at being called a freeloader as that is hardly the case.

mrramsey

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: njrusty]
      #5143490 - 03/27/12 08:08 AM

That would have been cool to see Rus.

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

#5143687 - 03/27/12 10:35 AM

Quote:

This thread doesn't appear to be about cheap all-sky cameras at all. It appears to be about freeloading on an the back of an institutional program.

Freeloading, I certainly take offense to it. You obviously know nothing about the program and should do your research before you hijack someones thread and call them a freeloader. For your information the program ASKES for citizen volunteers to host the cameras to provide real time data to the university program which is funded by MY tax dollars. Someone asked for a 'cheap" source of all sky camera and if your willing to commit to this program for the betterment of science, nothing is better than FREE!!

I suggest you do your research next time before calling someone a freeloader, it's better to appear ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

This might help you............notice it says "VOLUNTEER"

Edited by MrKrink (03/27/12 10:36 AM)

John Wunderlin
Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

Reged: 10/01/04

Loc: Mineral Point, Wi
      #5143691 - 03/27/12 10:39 AM

Lol- yeah it's news to me that the dozens of hours I spent setting up & debugging the system, helping other users get set up and submitting special data at Sandia's request is freeloading. I'm a bit offended as well.

Al8236
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/18/10

Loc: 48.9173N 122.1390W
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: John Wunderlin]
      #5143788 - 03/27/12 11:29 AM

I agree that the poster may have spoken out of turn and isn't being fair.
I know that I don't have the resources to dedicate to a project like this, that being said, when this thread started 6-7 months ago? I thought that I would be seeing some DIY solutions and other sources.
But within a few posts it became more of a software de-bugging thread, Don't get me wrong, I still come here and read what is happening with this project and really enjoy the captures that you guys are getting!
It does seem to be a worthwhile project!

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: Kevin Bozard]
      #5144061 - 03/27/12 02:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was wondering..............would it be possible to hook up another camera to one of the other ports on the video card? I have a couple spare security cameras and thought about installing one as a weather camera.

What would be required??

I was hoping someone would reply to this one, I would like to know the answer too. I guess we will have to Google the video card Stuart, and read up on it. I would think that you could, if the other ports run off of a different "channel", so to speak. I'm sure you would need to have a different program running it, but I don't know how that would work. When I first installed WSentinel, I had WinTV running. Which pulls a feed from that same card. I was getting a view through the camera in WinTv, but WSentinel wouldn't run, with WinTv running. It's going to take some research I guess. But I will be looking for an answer.

Yes you can. Each port is a different channel. So you could run 4 different cameras on each card.
You can't access the same channel with 2 different programs at the same time. Each program gets exclusive access to the channel. So you could run 4 cameras with 4 separate programs.

The WSentinal program is set to use a certain port on the card. All the others are free.

I currently run 2 all sky cam's from the same PC. Originally I had both cameras running off the NMSU capture card. I installed a USB capture for my personal camera because I wanted to keep NMSU's equipment separate from my equipment, plus the allskycam.com software is so cool with the 4 different views it produces. The allskycam.com software also allows for multiple uploads to different sites. Currently my personal cam uploads to allskycam.com and wunderground.com.

Edited by wolfman_4_ever (03/27/12 02:52 PM)

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5144235 - 03/27/12 04:11 PM

So is the allsky.com software just for the Moonglow camera?

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5144274 - 03/27/12 04:36 PM

The ASC (All Sky Cam) software can be used with most video capture devices. My personal all sky cam is the Orion All Sky Cam (comes with it's own Orion USB Video capture device) but I am using the ASC USB capture device. The software and capture device is $99. The software only is $79. I needed another capture device anyways and it was only the extra $20.

Here is the link to the site. It has a free trial link to the software. The link for the free trial is near the bottom in the FAQ's.

ASC Software Page

Support is great for the product as well. I had an issue uploading to the ASC FTP and it was resolved promptly!

Edited by wolfman_4_ever (03/27/12 04:41 PM)

Tak North
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/28/07

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5144280 - 03/27/12 04:40 PM

Quote:

So is the allsky.com software just for the Moonglow camera?

this blurb in the FAQ section leads me to believe it should work with other cameras.

Quote:

Q: Can I purchase the software only, and use my own DirectShow compatible digitizer or camera?
A: The software may be purchased by itself, for $79.95. However we cannot guarantee proper operation with digitizers other than the model sold with the Uploader Kit. We recommend downloading the Demo version (click the "Try" button) of the Uploader software to test compatibility with your digitizer before purchasing.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this will chime in.

Tak North
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/28/07

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5144287 - 03/27/12 04:43 PM

Quote:

The ASC (All Sky Cam) software can be used with most video capture devices. My personal all sky cam is the Orion All Sky Cam (comes with it's own Orion USB Video capture device) but I am using the ASC USB capture device. The software and capture device is $99. The software only is $79. I needed another capture device anyways and it was only the extra $20.

Here is the link to the site. It has a free trial link to the software. The link for the free trial is near the bottom in the FAQ's.

ASC Software Page

Support is great for the product as well. I had an issue uploading to the ASC FTP and it was resolved promptly!

Ahh...you beat me to it!

So the next logical question - will they (MoonGlow) host images on their site from other All Sky Cameras?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25300

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics