Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)
MrKrink
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 02/20/09

Loc: Lawndale NC, USA
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5026595 - 01/19/12 11:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Carol.....the comp I have mine on is 2.5 years old. As long as you have a minimum of 4GB RAM and 750GB of available HD you should be good to go.




So you need to be running a 64 bit OS to use the 4mb Ram.




Oops, I guess that was an oversight on my part. No you don't need 64 bit. You only need Win XP it will not run on Win7 yet. So I guess you DON'T need 4GB.




I need to make a correction, I was wrong about this.

It will run on Win7 64x they just have to send you a different video card to install for Win7. Sorry.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mrramsey
super member


Reged: 11/19/11

Loc: Hudson, Oh
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5026658 - 01/19/12 11:49 AM

Thanks Stuart - I will keep those in mind. I will be mounting mine on the second story so I have to wait for decent weather however I should be able to make any necessary adjustments from a temp. location on the deck before permanently mounting it. I should get a fairly unobstructed view.

needless to say I have quite a bit of cable to run.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mrramsey
super member


Reged: 11/19/11

Loc: Hudson, Oh
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5026773 - 01/19/12 01:04 PM

Quote:

It will run on Win7 64x they just have to send you a different video card to install for Win7. Sorry.




What card did they send you Stuart?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrKrink
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 02/20/09

Loc: Lawndale NC, USA
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: mrramsey]
      #5026791 - 01/19/12 01:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It will run on Win7 64x they just have to send you a different video card to install for Win7. Sorry.




What card did they send you Stuart?




Mine is on an XP machine. Haupauge or something like that.

Also if the card has 4 ports on it, they told to use the one closest to the motherboard. That is the only one it will work on. Another one of those little tricks I learned the hard way!!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics
*****

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5027099 - 01/19/12 04:10 PM

Wish I had the internet bandwidth to do this Verizon limits me to 5gb a month down and not sure on the up side.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrKrink
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 02/20/09

Loc: Lawndale NC, USA
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: Mary B]
      #5027125 - 01/19/12 04:24 PM

Quote:

Wish I had the internet bandwidth to do this Verizon limits me to 5gb a month down and not sure on the up side.




The biggest files are around 1-2mb amd that is the mp4s. The images are very small 10 - 15Kb. You can manually up load if you want but you would only have roughly 40-50mb a day (if I figure right) unless you deleted the junk captures before you upload.

Once your camera is set up you should only have 40-60 captures a night. Unless you live close to an airport approach path.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BPO
sage


Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5027263 - 01/19/12 06:11 PM

A few days ago I installed one of Moonglow Tech's nice little All Sky Cams and have to say it was ridiculously simple to do and works very well.

The DIY route would have been fine if I had the time - which, alas, I don't - and nobody is offering "free" ASC's to those of us in non-US locations, so an off-the-shelf device was the only option.

In my opinion it is money well spent, although the camera's only been running for a couple of days so far.

If it catches fire or reformats my hard drive, I'll let you know, but to date it's performed absolutely flawlessly.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrKrink
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 02/20/09

Loc: Lawndale NC, USA
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: BPO]
      #5028225 - 01/20/12 08:58 AM

Quote:

A few days ago I installed one of Moonglow Tech's nice little All Sky Cams and have to say it was ridiculously simple to do and works very well.

The DIY route would have been fine if I had the time - which, alas, I don't - and nobody is offering "free" ASC's to those of us in non-US locations, so an off-the-shelf device was the only option.

In my opinion it is money well spent, although the camera's only been running for a couple of days so far.

If it catches fire or reformats my hard drive, I'll let you know, but to date it's performed absolutely flawlessly.




I looked at those at NEAF last year and really liked them. They seemed to have really clear color video. I was trying to save my pennies to get one when this opportunity popped up, so hey, who can pass up FREE!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobbW
sage


Reged: 02/09/10

Loc: Elgin, IL
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5028764 - 01/20/12 02:22 PM

I had initially emailed Mr. Alvarez about joining the ASCN program back in early December. I never heard from him, but after reviewing this thread again, I forwarded my request on to Mr. Spalding yesterday. I just received word from Mr. Spalding today that my application for the program has been accepted, and the Sentinel system will be shipped out to me.

I can't wait to receive the all-sky camera and get it installed. I hope my setup will provide lots of contributions to the program. Only thing I want to figure out now is how to add the output to my astronomy outreach website. Does anyone have pointers on that?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: RobbW]
      #5028910 - 01/20/12 03:34 PM

Received mine. I will be running my in win7 x64 on a Pentium 4 with HT. You don't need anything special to capture video.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mrramsey
super member


Reged: 11/19/11

Loc: Hudson, Oh
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5028934 - 01/20/12 03:49 PM

Except for the video capture card since these have a coax output...

What card did they send you Wolfman? The card I got is outdated... I will try it on win 7 to see if it works but the last driver that I can find was for XP

Just got done painting the inside of the dome area flat black.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BPO
sage


Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5028961 - 01/20/12 04:03 PM

Quote:

I looked at those at NEAF last year and really liked them. They seemed to have really clear color video.




Yes, they do, I too am impressed by its abilities to deal with all light levels.

Quote:

I was trying to save my pennies to get one when this opportunity popped up, so hey, who can pass up FREE!




Not me!

But even though it's stated on the website that the network is world-wide, they appear to have no ASC's outside North America.

If that ever changes, let the record show that Benmore Peak Observatory in New Zealand is happy to join!


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BPO
sage


Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: mrramsey]
      #5028966 - 01/20/12 04:06 PM

Quote:

Except for the video capture card since these have a coax output...The card I got is outdated... I will try it on win 7 to see if it works but the last driver that I can find was for XP




My Matrox Meteor-II (non multi-channel variant) has coax-out, and driver support ended with WinXP. Is it one of those?


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mrramsey
super member


Reged: 11/19/11

Loc: Hudson, Oh
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: BPO]
      #5029005 - 01/20/12 04:31 PM

No I got a Hauppauge ImpactVCB 64900 - Hauppauge Website

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Roy Salisbury
professor emeritus


Reged: 05/26/09

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: mrramsey]
      #5029042 - 01/20/12 04:51 PM

I just got an email letting me know they were ready to ship my system. I have a few questions for anyone that has it.

1. Do they have a USB adapter that can be used? Even if they don't provide one, its not bound to a specific driver or anything is it? I can find a BNC to USB adapter that will work for Win7 x64.

2. Might just be a limitation of whatever driver I use, but I would like to also provide the video stream on my own web site as well. Anyone do that already?

3. Anyone know the power requirements of the camera? I'm sure its only a few watts (5-10), but would be nice to know exactly.

Roy


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mrramsey
super member


Reged: 11/19/11

Loc: Hudson, Oh
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: Roy Salisbury]
      #5030225 - 01/21/12 11:20 AM

I have been programming all morning - debugging etc. The video controller they ship fails under Win 7 and Vista. I also suspect that the Wsentinel program will likely run into issues as well.

I recommend you use WinXP. If you only have a Win 7 machine you could probably set it up and use VirtualBox or VMWare to run XP inside of Win 7. I do this on my development machine. As for adapters in my experience it is hit and miss as to weather they will function or not.

The power consumption is 12v 150mA.

The Setup I am attempting to do is as follows:

  • Standalone XP install
  • Remote administration via Remote Desktop - No monitor/ keyboard etc
  • captures are saved to a secondary 250gb internal drive
  • Utility script to run daily and move the captures from 250GB drive to 1TB drive on my linux server daily
  • Since rsync is a Linux application natively I will setup rsync on the server to automatically transmit the event data to NMSU's server
  • Another script will automatically run to purge old data from the server that is more than 2 weeks old


Simple automation tasks that will require little maintenance. I will also right a program to send me text messages for recorded events.

It should be simple enough to also right a post script to put an event on a website. I am sure that the NMSU website does it automatically when the data is received.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah


Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: mrramsey]
      #5033184 - 01/22/12 11:16 PM

Is there a reason why you have to use there video capture card?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrKrink
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 02/20/09

Loc: Lawndale NC, USA
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5033210 - 01/22/12 11:28 PM

I assume they have drivers set up for it and it only has BNC connectors. It is the one they send so why not use it?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrKrink
Pooh-Bah
*****

Reged: 02/20/09

Loc: Lawndale NC, USA
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: mrramsey]
      #5033215 - 01/22/12 11:30 PM

Quote:

I have been programming all morning - debugging etc. The video controller they ship fails under Win 7 and Vista. I also suspect that the Wsentinel program will likely run into issues as well.

I recommend you use WinXP. If you only have a Win 7 machine you could probably set it up and use VirtualBox or VMWare to run XP inside of Win 7. I do this on my development machine. As for adapters in my experience it is hit and miss as to weather they will function or not.

The power consumption is 12v 150mA.

The Setup I am attempting to do is as follows:

  • Standalone XP install
  • Remote administration via Remote Desktop - No monitor/ keyboard etc
  • captures are saved to a secondary 250gb internal drive
  • Utility script to run daily and move the captures from 250GB drive to 1TB drive on my linux server daily
  • Since rsync is a Linux application natively I will setup rsync on the server to automatically transmit the event data to NMSU's server
  • Another script will automatically run to purge old data from the server that is more than 2 weeks old


Simple automation tasks that will require little maintenance. I will also right a program to send me text messages for recorded events.

It should be simple enough to also right a post script to put an event on a website. I am sure that the NMSU website does it automatically when the data is received.




Did you get the new WSentinel program from me? It may just be for WinXP.


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mrramsey
super member


Reged: 11/19/11

Loc: Hudson, Oh
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5033588 - 01/23/12 08:44 AM

Quote:

Is there a reason why you have to use there video capture card?




Not to say that it is required but in my experience when you are creating a custom application to meet a specific need especially in the case of research one typically focuses on building the program to run in a specific environment. I am sure the cameras and boards were chosen for their specs and cost in a mass quantity to fit the need.

Typically in R&D you are not going to go out and spend big dollars for top end equipment. Could you use a different capture card? Possibly but the reality is there would be a lot of debugging to be done by yourself since they clearly have noted the requirement for XP. The question is weather or not you have the ability to debug the issues or want to even spend the time doing so.

In my case I tested on win 7 first since I had a machine with that os installed. The drivers would not load at all for the capture card. I did not want to forgo the expense to try a different card since it is not clearly stated that that OS will even work with the rest of the software. I chose to reload winXP sp3 onto that machine an use it to their specification... Less Headaches


Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)


Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled


Thread views: 24907

Jump to

CN Forums Home


Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics