Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)
njrusty

Reged: 03/17/06

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5068827 - 02/12/12 01:00 PM

Just when I thought everything was working I keep getting the following error when trying to run WSentinel: 'Creating Video Mixing Rendered 9 Failed'. This comes up whenever I start WSentinel. I don't keep the software running since here in the northeast we have had nothing but clouds and snowy weather.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
John Wunderlin
Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

Reged: 10/01/04

Loc: Mineral Point, Wi
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: njrusty]
      #5068833 - 02/12/12 01:03 PM

Are you using version 1.1.19 from Jan 27, 2012? I was getting the same error you are until I upgraded to that version.

njrusty

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: John Wunderlin]
      #5068864 - 02/12/12 01:19 PM

Yes I am and I'm running XP SP3. I reinstalled all the software and I'm still getting that same error. Very strange.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
      #5069120 - 02/12/12 03:43 PM

If you remote to your PC via remote desktop that will happen when you try to launch sentinal. A Lot of video capture sotware will not work with remote desktop. You have to use VNC or some other remote desktop software.

I use to get that problem only because I had the BNC hooked to the wrong input on the vid capture card.

mrramsey

Reged: 11/19/11

Loc: Hudson, Oh
      #5069236 - 02/12/12 04:58 PM

Quote:

If you remote to your PC via remote desktop that will happen when you try to launch sentinal. A Lot of video capture sotware will not work with remote desktop. You have to use VNC or some other remote desktop software.

I use to get that problem only because I had the BNC hooked to the wrong input on the vid capture card.

yep... I had the same issue. VNC corrected it. Just got home from Florida in time for more snow. At this rate it will be spring before I get it mounted.

John Wunderlin

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: mrramsey]
      #5070766 - 02/13/12 04:08 PM

Unfortunately VNC doesn't support sound. I wish they'd add that- I can't tell when PHD looses star lock...

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/20/09

Loc: Lawndale NC, USA
      #5070800 - 02/13/12 04:33 PM

I caught a really big one last night!!!
Fireball in NC 2-13-12

John Wunderlin

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5070802 - 02/13/12 04:35 PM

SWEET! Great catch!

John Wunderlin

#5070817 - 02/13/12 04:51 PM

BTW- I wanted to post an update on my PC's performance. I have 2 gigs of ram and it's only a single 3 ghz processor with about 100 gigs free.

I'm imaging on the same PC and it works pretty well, but it slows everything down a bit. Right now I shut off WSentinel until my imaging run is started and then turn it back on while it's acquiring data. Running Stellarium and WSentinel on the same box really slows down the works. Doesn't seem to affect data acquisition or motion detection of the allsky cam.

I may install a 2nd dedicated all-sky computer in my observatory, but then I'll need a second keyboard, monitor and mouse or a KVM switch, plus I'll need an ethernet switch since I only have 1 Cat5 connection in the observatory.

njrusty

#5070994 - 02/13/12 06:51 PM

Anyone been able to get the 'mask' to work correctly? I've created a mask and can overlay it in the 'preview'. But on all the mp4 videos, I still see car headlights where the mask should be blocking those out.

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/20/09

Loc: Lawndale NC, USA
      #5071027 - 02/13/12 07:09 PM

Quote:

Anyone been able to get the 'mask' to work correctly? I've created a mask and can overlay it in the 'preview'. But on all the mp4 videos, I still see car headlights where the mask should be blocking those out.

Yes. you have done it right. It does not block out on the video and still, it only blocks out the lights from triggering an event. You will still be able to see the lights in the RT (real time) view.

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5071320 - 02/13/12 10:34 PM

I use the mask all the time.. How do you have your mask setup? When you saved the image did it make it all red? If so you need to untick the pseduo colors box under video..

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

#5071371 - 02/13/12 11:10 PM

Oh ya and what Stuart said :P

The mask only blocks out the areas where you don't want a trigger to happen.

johne
sage

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ.
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5071632 - 02/14/12 07:23 AM

Quote:

I caught a really big one last night!!!
Fireball in NC 2-13-12

Wow! That's GREAT! Nice catch.

I'm still having problems with my setup. I overcame the machine shut-down problem by replacing the PC's video card and installing the lastest Windows XP video drivers.

Some of the problems I'm still sorting out...
- Occasional failure of the XP video driver (requires restarting the machine.)

- The mask does not seem to work at all. I took an image and loaded it into PS and painted the surrounding mountain area, everything except the sky, bright red. Doesn't seem to work. I still get an incredible amout of capture from the vehicles on the highway.

-Yesterday morning, after restarting the machine, WSentinel would crash upon startup. I had to uninstall WSentinel and erase everything WSentinel on the machine and reinstall WSentinel.

- I had WSentinel pointed to a 2.5 TB Raid 5 NAS box. One of the drives failed and the repair has not worked. I'll have to replace the drive and then allow it to rebuild itself. After I reinstalled WSentinel, I pointed it at another RAID unit I have, the 5TB RAID 5. Thinking about it. When WSentinel would crash at startup was pretty close to right after my 2.5TB RAID drive failed.

Its now been running without a problem for the last 16 hours. I am amazed at the amount of data that is captured. 13GB in 16 hours.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

njrusty

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: johne]
      #5071723 - 02/14/12 09:03 AM

I have to agree. Even though my mask is covering some areas where I have blocked, the software is still triggering events 'behind' the mask. Does not appear to be working.

I followed the instructions for creating a mask and it clearly is showing correctly in the 'preview' (real-time view) of the image.

johne
sage

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ.
      #5071757 - 02/14/12 09:32 AM

Regarding the mask. Here are two of the masks that I have tried. Neither seem to work. Most of the images captured are from movement in the masked (red) area.

Am I doing something wrong that you can see?

Thanks,
John

John Wunderlin

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: johne]
      #5071955 - 02/14/12 11:57 AM

Hi John- I think I see your problem. I'm not 100% positive, but I suspect the mask has to be pure red. In photoshop (or editor of your choice) make sure the color you are using is 255,0,0. Your image is 248,8,53.

My mask is definitely working as I have a cell tower that blinks all night long. It is not triggering the motion detection and I'm sure it would without the mask. I went from 12 events per hour down to a couple per night once I used the mask.

njrusty

#5071999 - 02/14/12 12:28 PM

The mask I created is 'similiar' to Johne's second mask except a small amount of the 'white' blocks out what I don't want the camera to trigger on. The remaining area I can still see what the camera sees overhead. After playing back the .mp4 videos taken overnight (PA site), I still see events were triggered by what was supposed to be masked; ie.. porch lights, car headlights.

njrusty

#5072000 - 02/14/12 12:28 PM

The mask I created is 'similiar' to Johne's second mask except a small amount of the 'white' blocks out what I don't want the camera to trigger on. The remaining area I can still see what the camera sees overhead. After playing back the .mp4 videos taken overnight (PA site), I still see events were triggered by what was supposed to be masked; ie.. porch lights, car headlights.

John Wunderlin

#5072029 - 02/14/12 12:42 PM

Just because you can see the headlights, etc it doesn't necessarily mean it was triggered by that area of the display. I've found that headlights from cars will bounce off trees that are in my field and can trigger motion even though the headlights themselves are masked. Use the WSentinel playback option to confirm this. When playing back the video, WSentinel will place 4 dots around the area that triggered the motion.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24933

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics