Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)
MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/20/09

Loc: Lawndale NC, USA
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: John Wunderlin]
      #5072099 - 02/14/12 01:15 PM

Quote:

Hi John- I think I see your problem. I'm not 100% positive, but I suspect the mask has to be pure red. In photoshop (or editor of your choice) make sure the color you are using is 255,0,0. Your image is 248,8,53.

My mask is definitely working as I have a cell tower that blinks all night long. It is not triggering the motion detection and I'm sure it would without the mask. I went from 12 events per hour down to a couple per night once I used the mask.

I used Paint, that was what they told me to use.

A question do you have the mask "applied" and then "save config" in the file menue?

I only have a small amount tof light problem but I have noticed this, like was pointed out above. My camera is mounted on the roof directly above my flood lights, and when I flip them on to look out across the back yard, it triggers an event when the light shines on the trees some 50-75 yard away. No way to mask that.

I have also noticed that when it is raining, the light glistening in the raindrops running down the globe from the neighbors street light also triggers an event. No way to mask the refraction of light in raindrops. I wish there was a way to eliminate all but legitaimate events but unfortunately we will have to live with a lot of falseys.

This is my mask..........

Edited by MrKrink (02/14/12 01:23 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: MrKrink]
      #5072125 - 02/14/12 01:24 PM

I only have the top masked because of raindrops refracting from the opposite side of the dome.

njrusty

Reged: 03/17/06

#5072247 - 02/14/12 02:56 PM

Mr. Krink, my mask looks almost exactly like yours and almost every video I see of my triggers (except the obvious airplanes) I also see a flashing carlight in my masked areas. However; I'll look tonight at my playbacks and verify if WSentinel is 'marking' the trigger with dots and see if they are indeed inside the masked areas.

John Wunderlin
Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

Reged: 10/01/04

Loc: Mineral Point, Wi
Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: njrusty]
      #5072289 - 02/14/12 03:24 PM

Stuart's mask has the correct red values of 255,0,0. njrusty if you can upload your mask I can double check the red values so we can at least rule that out.

I wish there was an option to at least manually delete the false positives after they are uploaded... I've thought about deleting them before they get uploaded but didn't want to break the software.

I'm sure in time I won't monitor it as closely as I do now either so it would be best to just be able to delete all the garbage on the NMSU site.

njrusty

#5072317 - 02/14/12 03:36 PM

Thanks for the info John. I did verify the 'red' values last night on my mask and they are correct. However; I will double check the photos/videos to see if WSentinel is actually marking the image to see if the trigger is actually occurring inside or outside the mask.

John Wunderlin

#5072318 - 02/14/12 03:37 PM

I've been operational for a week now and have only had 1 'interesting' sighting:

http://skysentinel.nmsu.edu/allsky/viewer/208624?page=39

The other 374 videos are all junk including this interesting shot of an alien messing with my camera:

http://skysentinel.nmsu.edu/allsky/viewer/207177

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

#5072333 - 02/14/12 03:45 PM

Quote:

Stuart's mask has the correct red values of 255,0,0. njrusty if you can upload your mask I can double check the red values so we can at least rule that out.

I wish there was an option to at least manually delete the false positives after they are uploaded... I've thought about deleting them before they get uploaded but didn't want to break the software.

I'm sure in time I won't monitor it as closely as I do now either so it would be best to just be able to delete all the garbage on the NMSU site.

That may be why they specified to use Paint program.

Try to go through mine everdy day or at least after a clear night and delete the fodder but it is after upload, I then save all the true events to another folder and clear out the event folder. I have thought about going throught them before uploading them everyday.

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

#5072362 - 02/14/12 04:02 PM

I have had a dry spell for a couple weeks too, except for the super nova Monday morning!! Have been getting a lot of satellite flares and one odd one I can't figure out.

johne
sage

Reged: 11/10/06

Loc: Prescott, AZ.
      #5074617 - 02/15/12 10:03 PM

Quote:

Hi John- I think I see your problem. I'm not 100% positive, but I suspect the mask has to be pure red. In photoshop (or editor of your choice) make sure the color you are using is 255,0,0. Your image is 248,8,53.

Thank you John. I pulled the image into Photoshop and repainted the mask with the 255,0,0 that you recommended.

Many thanks,
John

njrusty

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: johne]
      #5077738 - 02/17/12 09:52 PM Attachment (12 downloads)

Still getting dozens of false images every hour 'behind' the mask. Mask is not working and I'm about to give up on this. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by njrusty (02/17/12 09:54 PM)

John Wunderlin

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: njrusty]
      #5078617 - 02/18/12 02:17 PM

can you post a link of your uploads on the NMSU website? That may help with diagnostics.

John Wunderlin

#5078638 - 02/18/12 02:31 PM Attachment (11 downloads)

Also, I see your mask values are not all 255,0,0. Looks like you may have used something that allowed 'blending' into the background. Some of the mask is 255,0,0 but most of it is not. I would also suggest blocking out everything to the outside of your mask- you can see some light bleeding through to the lower left. Here's a mask I made based on your cam image- give this a try.

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

#5078680 - 02/18/12 02:51 PM

Have you tried changing the sensitivity of the settings on the triggers?

John Wunderlin

#5078793 - 02/18/12 04:04 PM

Hey- looks like I snagged a fireball last night- my first one http://skysentinel.nmsu.edu/allsky/viewer/217299

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

#5078799 - 02/18/12 04:07 PM

WOW great catch, better go out in the front yard and look for that one, looks like it was coming straight down.

BPO
sage

Reged: 02/23/10

Loc: South Island, NZ
      #5081146 - 02/19/12 09:54 PM

Someone recently caught a strange object on their ASC.

http://www.observatory.org.nz/temp/asc_pic.html

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

Re: Source for cheap all-sky cam? new [Re: BPO]
      #5081186 - 02/19/12 10:23 PM

Quote:

Someone recently caught a strange object on their ASC.

http://www.observatory.org.nz/temp/asc_pic.html

Funny I caught the same thing...............

6 Toed Alien

John Wunderlin

#5081306 - 02/19/12 11:47 PM

Upon further review, my cam takes too much processing power to work while imaging. It's possible, but my computer comes to a crawl. I'm going to set up a dedicated allsky computer as soon as I can. I have a spare, luckily.

Edit: I suspect a modern mult-core computer would work ok, but mine is several years old and just not up to the task.

Edited by John Wunderlin (02/19/12 11:48 PM)

John Wunderlin

#5081311 - 02/19/12 11:51 PM

I also managed to catch a tumbler last night. I noticed a couple of separate hits and replayed the video. I then used the WSentinel function to record the whole event. As a bonus, I got an iridium near the end... Kind of cool:

http://skysentinel.nmsu.edu/allsky/viewer/218677

MrKrink
Pooh-Bah

#5081605 - 02/20/12 09:07 AM

John, I have caught a few of those too. They are cool and make a cool composite. The iridiums are strange because of the flash, they don't really flash when you see then naked eye, it's more like a slow pulse.

Iridium Flare

Lightning and the ISS are interesting too!

I have started uploading my files at 11 pm, that gives me a chance to delete the junk if it was a clear night prior.

Edited by MrKrink (02/20/12 09:13 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24993

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics