Pages: 1
Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/29/08

Loc: LaGrange, GA
Nexstar 11 GPS issues
      #4900756 - 11/06/11 01:37 PM

Hey guys,
I recently bought a used Nexstar 11 GPS, but I can't get it to initialize. When I power it up the hand controller displays 'No Response 16'. From the research I've done so far, this indicates that the hand controller can't communicate with the motor controller. I've started going through some of the troubleshooting steps I found on the Nexstar resource site, but I'm still a little confused on a couple of things. I can go into the utility menu and display the version, which shows version 2.2, but is this the hand controller or the motor controller version? My hunch is that it's the hand controller version, but if so, how do I find the motor controller version? This is important since one of the troubleshooting steps suggests that it may be stuck in 'boot' mode and the only way to fix it is to re-flash the firmware, however if my motor controller board is too old, I won't be able to do this and I'll have to buy a new motor controller board, which is like $230 from Celestron. The person I bought the scope from said it was working, and I have no reason to doubt him at this point, so I'm wondering if I could have damaged it when I first powered it up. The reason I think that is because I initially plugged the power connector into the 12V output plug on the control panel instead of the 12V input next to the power switch
Anyway, I currently have the C11 OTA on a GEM, but I would love to get the Nexstar up and running, I'm just afraid its going to cost a few hundred bucks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Nexstar 11 GPS issues new [Re: Phil Hosey]
      #4900909 - 11/06/11 02:57 PM

Phil,

2.2 is indeed the HC firmware level ... so no ability to do an online firmware upgrade on the HC or MCs. Along with the 2.2 there should be two other numbers presented like 4.3 for the MC firmware version.

I'll assume that you've got good solid 12v DC power and you've already gently split the little pin in the power socket on the base of the scope so there is solid power right into the scope.

Solid NS 16 errors on this scope can often be traced to connector issues. Since this scope has been recently shipped I would open the base and arm and re connect all the connectors. You'll need a not so popular allen wrench size for the bolts on the plastic covers (7/64" I think).

You can also plug the HC into one of the AUX sockets on the base which may help with any external connector issues ... it also makes it easier to handle the HC.

Have you been on Mike Swanson's great website ... www.nexstarsite.com ?

The original NexStar GPS manual is the appropriate manual for one of these scopes with the 2.2 firmware (it would be a different manual if you had one of the newer upgradable 4.xx HCs).

Edited by mclewis1 (11/06/11 03:01 PM)

Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

#5693338 - 02/21/13 07:05 PM

Hey guys I'm opening this thread back up because I recently re-aquired a C11 CF OTA and now I'm seriously considering fixing my Nexstar GPS. It turns out you were right Mark, it was a loose connection that was causing the issue, only at the time I figure it out, I had already sold the C11 and the buyer asked if I would include the GPS board from the Nexstar. Well, It turns out I sent him the motor control board by mistake and when we later found out that the GPS board I do have is the wrong one, I asked the guy for the MC board back and never got a response. But now that I think about it, I would need to replace that board with a newer version to upgrade the thing anyway, so that's where I am. I need to see if I can buy a new MC board from Celestron. I've seen the instructions on how to instlall the new MC board, but I had also disconnected everything from the serial board as well when I disassembled the Nexstar, but I can't seem to find any documentation on what connector goes where on that board and I'll need that info to get it all back together when I get another MC board.

Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

#5693349 - 02/21/13 07:10 PM

Ah, found it here.

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
      #5693398 - 02/21/13 07:37 PM

Phil,

Is the "new" C11 ota originally off of an NS11 GPS scope?

If yes it will have the appropriate threaded holes for the bolts and the holes for the registration pins on the side of the rear cell.

If it doesn't it's not likely that you'll ever be able to get the ota aligned with fork arms which I believe would mean that the goto's and tracking will never be accurate.

Phil Hosey
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Nexstar 11 GPS issues new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5693430 - 02/21/13 07:54 PM

Quote:

Phil,

If yes it will have the appropriate threaded holes for the bolts and the holes for the registration pins on the side of the rear cell.

If it doesn't it's not likely that you'll ever be able to get the ota aligned with fork arms which I believe would mean that the goto's and tracking will never be accurate.

Mark,
I didn't think of that.. well, I don't know yet, the new C11 should be arriving Monday. It's not that big a deal to me if I can't make it work, I got the C11 with other goals in mind. Being able to put it on the Nexstar mount would be a plus but not the end of the world. I'll probably end up selling the Nexstar mount if I can't make it work.

Rodeorat

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Guthrie, OK US
      #5755930 - 03/25/13 11:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Phil,

Hey guys, was wondering if there is any new information on this question. I acquired a new C11 for a great price and have it on a CG5 (Overload, I know). Now I have a chance to pick up a NS11GPS, but I need to know if this C11 will mount to the NS. Have you discovered yes or no on this?
Thx
Mark,
I didn't think of that.. well, I don't know yet, the new C11 should be arriving Monday. It's not that big a deal to me if I can't make it work, I got the C11 with other goals in mind. Being able to put it on the Nexstar mount would be a plus but not the end of the world. I'll probably end up selling the Nexstar mount if I can't make it work.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1635

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics