Observing >> Double Star Observing

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/11/11

Loc: West Tennessee
Finally made a start on the AL Double Star Club
      #4907812 - 11/10/11 12:59 AM

After a couple of false starts over the past month, I believe I understand proper PA and celestial coordinates in each of my two scopes now and have officially started work on the Astronomical League Double Star Club list.

Gamma Delphini and 57 Aquilae logged and sketched. Both are easily separated, primary only slightly brighter than secondary in both. The main component of Gamma Delphini did appear to have a ruddy hue, no other significant colors noted.

2 down, 98 to go.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
Re: Finally made a start on the AL Double Star Club new [Re: Ain Soph Aur]
      #4908109 - 11/10/11 08:39 AM

This is a great observing club. I completed it a couple of years ago from my heavely light polluted sky at home in town. You can easily complete it in a year or less. Congratulations on starting this wonderful trip. You'll have fun observing these stars.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Finally made a start on the AL Double Star Club new [Re: blb]
      #4908159 - 11/10/11 09:06 AM

Quote:

This is a great observing club.

Yes, it is!

I've logged a bit over 70% of them to date.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: Finally made a start on the AL Double Star Club new [Re: desertstars]
      #4910194 - 11/11/11 11:15 AM

Last evening I added 65 Piscium, Psi 1 Piscium and Zeta Piscium to the log, bringing my ALDS total to 5. The most attractive pair of this batch was Zeta Piscium, with a yellowish-white primary and a reddish-purple secondary. The sky was extremely washed out due to strong moon glow.

piyro

Reged: 05/14/10

Loc: Canary Islands, Spain
      #4910745 - 11/11/11 05:00 PM

I have logged 89 out of 100 with my Firstscope in almost one year. Those 11 remaining are the most difficult ones (Sirius, Rigel, Mintaka, alpha Pis, Izar, gamma cet, ...)

Pedro.

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
      #4910989 - 11/11/11 07:44 PM

Quote:

Last evening I added 65 Piscium, Psi 1 Piscium and Zeta Piscium to the log, bringing my ALDS total to 5. The most attractive pair of this batch was Zeta Piscium, with a yellowish-white primary and a reddish-purple secondary. The sky was extremely washed out due to strong moon glow.

Appreciate your post as you have inspired me to start for the pin as well!

As for Pisces, wait to you see Alpha Piscium (if you haven't already), I just love it!

blb
Post Laureate

Re: Finally made a start on the AL Double Star Club new [Re: piyro]
      #4911071 - 11/11/11 08:57 PM

Quote:

I have logged 89 out of 100 with my Firstscope in almost one year. Those 11 remaining are the most difficult ones (Sirius, Rigel, Mintaka, alpha Pis, Izar, gamma cet, ...)

Pedro.

Pedro, are you sure that your doing the Astronomical League's Double Star Club? The reasion I ask is that Sirius is not on the AL Double Star List. As for the other stars, I completed the list using my 4" TV102 refractor. What are you using to observe these double stars?

piyro

#4911406 - 11/12/11 04:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Pedro.

Pedro, are you sure that your doing the Astronomical League's Double Star Club? The reasion I ask is that Sirius is not on the AL Double Star List. As for the other stars, I completed the list using my 4" TV102 refractor. What are you using to observe these double stars?

Hello Buddy,
The list on the AL server (http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/dblstar/dblstar2.html) has Sirius in position 33

Most of the observations have been made with the Firstscope (see my signature). The main problem, for me, is its aperture I am very astigmatic, even with my glasses on -i am also myopic-, so when the primary is very brilliant my astigmatism causes me problems.

Clear skies,
Pedro

Rich (RLTYS)Moderator
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
      #4911500 - 11/12/11 07:44 AM

Pedro, I just checked the list and No. 33 on the AL Double Star observing list is Epsilon Canis Major. Sirus is not part of the program. But I must admit I found Epsilon the most difficult double on the whole list to observe.

Rich (RLTYS)

piyro

Re: Finally made a start on the AL Double Star Club new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #4911920 - 11/12/11 12:32 PM

Aaargh Of course is epsilon and not alpha. Thank you Buddy and Rich, I was absolutely sure that it was alpha CMa.

Pedro.

blb
Post Laureate

#4912987 - 11/12/11 11:30 PM

Still though Sirus would be a good chalenge for the next couple of years with the separation widening to it's maximum separation. It will be doable but hard with the magnitude difference. I will be trying to see this one this winter with my 4-inch refractor.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#4915203 - 11/14/11 10:20 AM

I made the mistake of fabricating an off-axis aperture mask for my SCT... It has been cloudy and/or extremely windy since and the forecast isn't looking good out until Thursday.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#4919502 - 11/16/11 05:40 PM

I have a Tasco 7TE-5 2.4" F/16.7 on the way and am thinking about starting over on the AL Double Star Club list strictly using this refractor.

Has anyone else completed the list with a 2.4" 'scope?

piyro

#4920882 - 11/17/11 01:28 PM

Quote:

I have a Tasco 7TE-5 2.4" F/16.7 on the way and am thinking about starting over on the AL Double Star Club list strictly using this refractor.

Has anyone else completed the list with a 2.4" 'scope?

No, at least not now. But quoting the Astronomical League Double Star Club page:

Just do the best you can and report what you see

All my observations have been made with my cheap Celestron Firstscope, not the best telescope for double stars, and so far I have logged 89 out of 100. Some of them have been much easier with my 60 mm refractor than with the 75 mm reflector. I doubt I will ever be able to split Alpha Pis, Gamma Cet, Zeta Ori (Alnitak), Theta Aur, 38 Lyn, Gamma Vir (Porrima), Epsilon CMa , Delta Gem and Epsilon Boo (Izar)

Keep in mind that the Double Star List is a little dated and several separations and PAs have changed: Alpha Pis, Alpha Gem (Castor), Gamma Leo (Algieba), Gamma Vir (Porrima), Mu Dra, 70 Oph, Epsilon Lyr and Zeta Aqr.

Pedro

blb
Post Laureate

#4920960 - 11/17/11 02:19 PM

Pedro, you should be able to split stars with 2" seperation and as faint as mag. 11.5 from a dark sky with that 60mm refractor. Do not give up and keep trying. You will find that some nights are better than others and one night you will be able to separate those close double stars.

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

#4922193 - 11/18/11 08:10 AM

The F/16.7 Tasco is on schedule for a Tuesday delivery courtesy UPS, just in time for a 5-day long Thanksgiving weekend!

tlogan6680

Reged: 01/31/05

Loc: Monterey, CA
      #4928332 - 11/21/11 06:20 PM

A 60mm f16.7 refractor would be a kick! I too am just starting officailly on the AL Double star list.
I started drawing double stars in 1988 with a 105x445 Astroscan, a real widefield scope. The smallest eyepiece i had was a 7mm ortho which gave me 63.5 power. Did about 50 with the Astroscan, tho many are not in the AL list- like 23 Ori. And though i now use a 6 in SCT and an Astrosky 10 in dob, the old Astroscan was real fun.
tom in cloudy CA

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: Finally made a start on the AL Double Star Club new [Re: tlogan6680]
      #4931602 - 11/23/11 03:58 PM

The F/16.7 60mm Tasco arrived yesterday. I also have a Tasco 76mm F/15.8 in the works for those doubles the 60mm can't handle.

And then in Feb, a D&G 5" F/15 will be ordered but that may take a few months to arrive.

Maybe I'll be done with refractors then. Maybe.

RAKing
Postmaster

Reged: 12/28/07

Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula
      #4948497 - 12/03/11 06:50 PM

Congrats on your start. I think that once you get rolling, you will become hooked on doubles. I have always been interested in doubles and did the AL list a couple years ago. Then I just kept going! I have a little over 350 on my list now and I find new ones in every book I read.

BTW - Epsilon Canis Majoris is Adhara and even though it's not as tough as Sirius, it's a very challenging contrast double in its own right. Enjoy!

Ron

Ain Soph Aur
professor emeritus

Re: Finally made a start on the AL Double Star Club new [Re: RAKing]
      #4952507 - 12/05/11 11:52 PM

Reality has set in regarding the D&G, "a few months to arrive" may be a little off Nevertheless, my double star logging has been on hold lately. Around the time I received the Tasco I came down with a major cold/flu bug that kept me indoors, and the weather has been atrocious since I have recovered.

I did get a few test nights out with the Tasco 60mm and it is on the sidelines waiting on a few upgrades. The 73 mm Tasco has been delayed until January. I think my bright idea of working on the AL list strictly with a small diameter refractor is going to be abandoned. I will continue with whatever scope I have at hand, otherwise it may take me a few decades to get the pin, hah.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4085

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics