Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls
      #4909884 - 11/11/11 06:48 AM

I have a quick question about the Meade 5-element smoothside super plossls. Are they the same design, a similar design, or a totally different design than the Celestron Ultima/Orion Ultrascopic/Antares Elite/Parks Gold series plossls?

Dave

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: russell23]
      #4910324 - 11/11/11 12:50 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

I think everyone assumes they are the same or similar, but to my knowledge no one has taken them all apart to confirm this. Given the non-matching focal lengths and the especially size differential between the 32mm of the M4000 5-elements and the 30mm Ultima/Orion/Antares/Parks I would hazard that their design can only be similar. I've taken a number of eyepieces apart and surprised that their implied design was not their actual one. At any rate, the M4000 5-element smoothies are wonderful performers with the 32mm being IMO a real gem for any 1.25" eyepiece in that focal length class.

Tank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/27/09

Loc: Stoney Creek, Ontario, CANADA
Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: BillP]
      #4910372 - 11/11/11 01:19 PM

Meade smoothside 5-element 26mm had for a while and it was a fantastic EP. Easier eyeplacement then the 26mm TV NJ plossl and optically hard to find any real differences at reflector F6.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: BillP]
      #4910525 - 11/11/11 02:57 PM

Quote:

I think everyone assumes they are the same or similar, but to my knowledge no one has taken them all apart to confirm this. Given the non-matching focal lengths and the especially size differential between the 32mm of the M4000 5-elements and the 30mm Ultima/Orion/Antares/Parks I would hazard that their design can only be similar. I've taken a number of eyepieces apart and surprised that their implied design was not their actual one. At any rate, the M4000 5-element smoothies are wonderful performers with the 32mm being IMO a real gem for any 1.25" eyepiece in that focal length class.

I had a set of these back in the '90s. They were very nice, and I regret selling the set in a way. The short focal lengths had very little eye relief, but they were very good eyepieces--perhaps the best 50 degree eyepieces I ever owned.
The ones I owned all said Made In Japan on them.

planet earth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: Starman1]
      #4910544 - 11/11/11 03:10 PM

I've got a few of the Antares Elite Plossls and they are top of the line eyepieces.
I prefer them to TV Plossls. and the Meade 3000 Series.....and any Brandon!!!!!
Sam

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: planet earth]
      #4910571 - 11/11/11 03:24 PM

Quote:

I've got a few of the Antares Elite Plossls and they are top of the line eyepieces.
I prefer them to TV Plossls. and the Meade 3000 Series.....and any Brandon!!!!!
Sam

Sam....The Antares Elites are excellent planetary eyepieces !!! Very sharp right to the edges, even in fast scopes! However, I think the TV Plossls are top of the line for planetary for sure. You should try out the 21mm Smoothie TV Plossl and a barlow...great for planets !!!

I just picked up a 12mm Nagler T4. Dang, TV makes top notch eyepieces bar none!....after picking up the 12mm Nag T4...I wanna go ALL GREEN !!!!

planet earth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #4910608 - 11/11/11 03:44 PM

Markus
The TV Plossls are very good, no doubt, but comparing my 10mm Antares to a 10.5mm TV plossl, I'd take the Antares by a hair or two. These Antares, Ultimas, Meade 4000 (5 element) and Ultrascopic eyepieces are way under rated, and they sometimes sell for a song.
For f5 and under a coma correcter would be nice for that 12mm Nagler.
Clear Skies
Sam

stevep

Reged: 07/28/08

Loc: UK
Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: Starman1]
      #4911104 - 11/11/11 09:19 PM

Quote:

I had a set of these back in the '90s. They were very nice, and I regret selling the set in a way. The short focal lengths had very little eye relief, but they were very good eyepieces--perhaps the best 50 degree eyepieces I ever owned.
The ones I owned all said Made In Japan on them.

These are great ep's much underrated in my view, the first (corrected me if I'am wrong version of the pseudo masuyama's) OK er is a bit short on the shorter fl but comes with the design, but seems to me no less that the relevant ultima fl that followed and I would go along with Bill the jewel is the 32mm,

Regards,
Steve

russell23
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/31/09

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: stevep]
      #4913233 - 11/13/11 07:15 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I recently picked up the 26mm and 20mm Meade 4000 smoothsides and I feel that the Meade smoothside is simply better than the Celestron Vixen 26mm Silvertop and gives a better presentation than the 26mm TV smoothside.

The reason I asked if the Meade smoothside was the same design as the Ultima's is that - while the Ultima's are also 5 elements - I do not recall liking the 25mm Ultima (Parks Gold version I believe) as much as I like the 26mm Meade smoothside.

Dave

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Look over your shoulder
Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: russell23]
      #4913288 - 11/13/11 08:22 AM

Have a read Here.

This EP as far as we can tell is a Masuyama clone.. quite a long discussion regarding them, and some really good info to be had regarding them, and the "clones".. May want to read the whole thread..

amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: BCB]
      #4913536 - 11/13/11 10:52 AM

The Meade 26mm is a really fine eyepiece, and is my "go-to" for general observing with SCT's. In fact, I enjoyed the views through it so much that I obtained a spare, with an eye towards using them both one day in a bino-viewer.

The TV 26mm Plossl is ok, too - it performs well as the eyepiece in one my finderscopes.

Moonglum
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/01/08

Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #4913628 - 11/13/11 11:39 AM

I've a 26 with a barrel stamped Japan, and one with the black body stamped. They are otherwise identical and the more recent issued fold up eyecup ones. Some have said the change from 5 element to 4 occurs between these two, think I will see the difference in FOV on the pleiades or the the Hyades with my 102 f8?

Moonglum
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/01/08

Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: Moonglum]
      #4913694 - 11/13/11 12:10 PM

Actually they are not otherwise identical. The barrel stamped one, alledgedly 4 elements, has the letters "LP" after the word plossl. And, both have the lense recessed a good half inch from the top, but the body stamped one has a single knurl or flange half way down to the lense on the inside, like a baffle made out of the body itself, while the barrel stamped one is smooth.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Meade smoothside 5-element super plossls new [Re: Moonglum]
      #4913768 - 11/13/11 12:49 PM

The Japanese 5-element Series 4000 "Super Plossls" (pre-1994) 26mm has its top lens barely recessed into the body (maybe 4mmm?). The 26mm Plossls you are referring to have their top lenses well-recessed into the body of the eyepiece (maybe 1/2").
These are not the eyepieces in the OP's topic.
The latest are, to my eye, optically inferior to the older 5-element design but the difference is slight. In most scopes, a 26mm yields a relatively low power, and this magnification is a better gauge of the astigmatism in the eye than it is an evaluation of eyepiece optical resolution.

Pages: 1

Extra information
28 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1024

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics